Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-03-2016, 14:15   #91

Boat: Watkins 27
Send a message via Yahoo to deltaten
Re: Florida Anchor Ban Still Unsigned by governor

Looks like that settles that !

S'pose I'll miss off anything S. of the GA line. Wa-a-a-ay too much aggravation to figure out if I'm an outlaw or too poor to afford the Ritz of marinas.
Guess I'll just anchor out somewhere on those thousands of miles of coast. When I run out of fuel, I'll just call BoatUS and say I'm out..and could ya bring a slab of beer, a couple blocks of ice and a few steaks, too?

I'd need to run in for pump-out long before I need fuel !So. what *are* the transient rates to tie up for P/O and a quick run to the store? Is *that* even done//allowed? Youse guise are skeerin' me offa FL.

I *did* find a nice marina in S.. GA. Inexpensive, good services and facilities and allow LA's. Shame the "bookmark" didn't take; dammit
deltaten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 14:39   #92
CLOD

Boat: none

[QUOTE=deltaten;2079551

I'd need to run in for pump-out long before I need fuel !So. what *are* the transient rates to tie up for P/O and a quick run to the store? [/QUOTE]

Why? Are you going to spend all the time within 3 miles?
Old 23-03-2016, 14:41   #93

Boat: Pearson 34-II

I have just finished reading the previous comments and if we remove emotionalism, prejudice and pseudo-humanitarianism from the picture, much of what SailorJer has said is accurate and reflects my own extensive cruising experiences in Florida. His comments might be painful to some on this Forum of whom he might be describing, but they are real concerns that have created the anchoring war that now faces South Florida. And, Tomfl is absolutely correct in his take on anchoring which reflects my own: if you have a problem with elephants, tigers and Ringmaster Ned, stay away from the circus. We have traveled both coasts of Florida and never had a problem finding a secure anchorage. However, they weren't under the Barnum and Bailey big top, but in clean, safe, picturesque anchorages we found using nautical charts and experience. Who, in their right mind, would want to spend a winter in BKH that calls himself a cruiser? In my opinion, it is a day stop, at best to reprovision, pump out, dump garbage and take on water. That's it. Get out! But to spend a winter in a watery RV park is not my idea of "cruising." The sad reality is that it IS the derelicts and cheap-skate cruisers who ruin it for the rest of us. As many have stated, it will only get worse.
Old 23-03-2016, 14:51   #94

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Flare View Post
They have to be buying something somewhere to be producing all that trash.
Jason Flare is a prime example of the type of person most Florida tax payers don't want anchoring in Florida waters.

Anyone with an IQ above room temperature knows folks who are paying for trash service are also buying something somewhere to be producing the trash. But in addition to buying something somewhere Florida tax payers are also buying a service to remove their trash, something Jason Flare seems to think he, and lots of other freeloaders, should get for free.

And these freeloaders wonder why they are not welcome.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 15:06   #95
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
I have just finished reading the previous comments and if we remove emotionalism, prejudice and pseudo-humanitarianism from the picture, much of what SailorJer has said is accurate and reflects my own extensive cruising experiences in Florida. His comments might be painful to some on this Forum of whom he might be describing, but they are real concerns that have created the anchoring war that now faces South Florida. And, Tomfl is absolutely correct in his take on anchoring which reflects my own: if you have a problem with elephants, tigers and Ringmaster Ned, stay away from the circus. We have traveled both coasts of Florida and never had a problem finding a secure anchorage. However, they weren't under the Barnum and Bailey big top, but in clean, safe, picturesque anchorages we found using nautical charts and experience. Who, in their right mind, would want to spend a winter in BKH that calls himself a cruiser? In my opinion, it is a day stop, at best to reprovision, pump out, dump garbage and take on water. That's it. Get out! But to spend a winter in a watery RV park is not my idea of "cruising." The sad reality is that it IS the derelicts and cheap-skate cruisers who ruin it for the rest of us. As many have stated, it will only get worse.
BKH is a great place to work on or refit your boat. Warm temps in the winter time and easy access to marine goods and craftsmen. I would personally much rather spend the winter in BKH than winter or summer on the Great Lakes. Different strokes for different folks.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 15:20   #96

Boat: Watkins 27
Send a message via Yahoo to deltaten

Sailorboy1;
? Know knowing the coast as yet; there's someplace to anchor out @3 miles; or do you propose simply to sail out to "clear baffles" .? LOL Three miles is a helluva way to row to avail myself of attractions; hence the ?? re: temp tie-ups.

Best,
Paul
deltaten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 15:33   #97

Boat: Formosa 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
Jason Flare is a prime example of the type of person most Florida tax payers don't want anchoring in Florida waters.

Anyone with an IQ above room temperature knows folks who are paying for trash service are also buying something somewhere to be producing the trash. But in addition to buying something somewhere Florida tax payers are also buying a service to remove their trash, something Jason Flare seems to think he, and lots of other freeloaders, should get for free.

And these freeloaders wonder why they are not welcome.
I can't say I understand what you're talking about. Is the issue you have with me that I might dinghy into town and put a plastic shopping bag full of trash in a public barrel, because I've never put anything in anyone's private dumpster without asking for permission first.

My point was that to be producing trash everyone has to buy something, often in every port they visit. So everyone in fact supports the economy. It's inescapable.

If you don't want me in your harbor simply tell me which one it is.

To rognvald's point the real cruisers aren't the ones hanging out in a harbor long enough to be annoyed to the extent you are.
Jason Flare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 15:50   #98
smj

Quote:
I can't say I understand what you're talking about. Is the issue you have with me that I might dinghy into town and put a plastic shopping bag full of trash in a public barrel, because I've never put anything in anyone's private dumpster without asking for permission first.

My point was that to be producing trash everyone has to buy something, often in every port they visit. So everyone in fact supports the economy. It's inescapable.

To rognvald's point the real cruisers aren't the ones hanging out in a harbor long enough to be annoyed to the extent you are.

I wonder what the definition of "real cruiser" is. There are many sailors on a circumnavigation that tend to stop from time to time to replenish their cruising kitty, this may mean being anchored in one spot for quite a time. Would they not fit into the definition of real cruiser? Or maybe while they are anchored for extended times they would t fit into the definition of being a real cruiser?

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 23-03-2016, 16:28   #99

Quote:

I have no idea what a real cruiser is. I was referring to rognvald's post, #93, above. Here's a little bit of what he said:

"Who, in their right mind, would want to spend a winter in BKH that calls himself a cruiser? In my opinion, it is a day stop, at best to reprovision, pump out, dump garbage and take on water. That's it. Get out! But to spend a winter in a watery RV park is not my idea of "cruising." The sad reality is that it IS the derelicts and cheap-skate cruisers who ruin it for the rest of us. As many have stated, it will only get worse."

My question to everyone here is, do Mrs Flare and I qualify as cheap-skate cruisers for having anchored out and put a plastic shopping bag of trash in a public receptacle?
Old 23-03-2016, 16:29   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
I wonder what the definition of "real cruiser" is. There are many sailors on a circumnavigation that tend to stop from time to time to replenish their cruising kitty, this may mean being anchored in one spot for quite a time. Would they not fit into the definition of real cruiser? Or maybe while they are anchored for extended times they would t fit into the definition of being a real cruiser?

Oops. See my post above. It is in response to your post here.
Old 23-03-2016, 16:34   #101

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:

My point is you are throwing your trash someplace you have not paid for.

My next point is you seem shocked that folks expect you to pay for disposing your trash. The money you spent buying something paid for what you bought, not for buying a trash can, and putting gas in a truck and paying trashmen to haul your trash away.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 16:45   #102
smj

Quote:

My next point is you seem shocked that folks expect you to pay for disposing your trash. The money you spent buying something paid for what you bought, not for buying a trash can, and putting gas in a truck and paying trashmen to haul your trash away.

Don't know if that's all together true. I wonder if the sales tax on the goods would go towards public trash disposal? You and I have talked about this before Tom, if you spend money in a community you are helping to support both the local business's and supporting the local government with the sales tax you pay.

Old 23-03-2016, 16:48   #103

Quote:

I'd be happy to pay for the disposal of my trash. In fact Mrs Flare believes we do pay to dump trash when we're at Block Island but I think she's thinking about the fee to land a dinghy.

You need to talk to the government about public trash cans.

Why would they even put them out there if they didn't want trash in them.
Old 23-03-2016, 16:53   #104

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Florida Anchor Ban Still Unsigned by governor

Noobie "cruisers" just don't realize how wonderful it is to be able to get water at all, without actually stealing it from someone's water bill. That grand larceny remark was stupid in the extreeeme. If you'd steal a gal of water for a nickle, you're a person that will steal anything that isn't bolted down. That's what BKH wants to get rid of.

I think BKH has a $22 daily fee which is far too much but doable for a cruising vessel. And BKH is very convenient to stores as noted above.

In a sense building the mooring field has simply made the real dirt bags move further away; a good thing.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 17:49   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
Noobie "cruisers" just don't realize how wonderful it is to be able to get water at all, without actually stealing it from someone's water bill. That grand larceny remark was stupid in the extreeeme. If you'd steal a gal of water for a nickle, you're a person that will steal anything that isn't bolted down. That's what BKH wants to get rid of.

I think BKH has a $22 daily fee which is far too much but doable for a cruising vessel. And BKH is very convenient to stores as noted above.

In a sense building the mooring field has simply made the real dirt bags move further away; a good thing.
I agree. If water is selling for .05 per gallon then it's stealing to take it and not pay for it.

I've never gotten water without offering to pay. I'm willing to pay my way. I don't want anything for nothing.

So, what does the $22 include?

Tags
anchor, florida