Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-10-2015, 11:33   #1

Boat: Topper Hermanson, Cutter, 36
Fridge About to Give Up The Ghost?

Purchased our boat in 2008, came with a Norcold Fridge, just a cold box no freezer capability. The model is a "SCQT-6407.

The boat was custom made so the fridge was an add-on. Wiring is good, house bank is good (thank God) because the problem I'm having is when I am running on AC or DC current the fridge doesn't want to shut off or at least seems to run an awful lot. it seems to do better under AC power but not much. It does keep the food cold and when I touch the cold plate it is cold. The back part of the L is iced up a bit but I don't know if this could be effecting performance. Looking for advice/avenues explore.

Now before everybody starts bustin on Norcold (I've read the reviews), I can't complain about this one. The boat is an 87' and I think the fridge might have been purchased in 92' and has been working well to this point.

Waiting anxiously for any thoughts....
Golden Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2015, 11:46   #2

Re: Fridge About to Give Up The Ghost???

Thermostat?

When in doubt, ask

Technical Tips
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2015, 12:16   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Is it?
A. running all the time and getting too cold? That could be thermostat.
B. Or, I suspect running all the time and not cooling well, that is not the thermostat

Mine was an old as the devil Super Cold machine that wasn't cooling well. After some investigation I found that even though it was old as Methuselah, it was just simply undersized and I was faced with two options, reduce the size of the box, by insulated the fool out of it, or replacing it with something big enough to do the job.
I got with Rich Boren and he put me a dual cold plate system with a larger than normal compressor, it works, but it's obvious from the duty cycle I could do with better insulation.
How big is your box? How cold is the cold plate getting, it is freezing solid?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2015, 12:24   #4

Thermostat is a possibility. When it runs does not seem to be getting too cold. It will keep food and beverages cold and if I turn the thermostat down it will freeze water placed need the cold plate. So the thermostat could be the culprit or something called a Thermistor?
Old 28-10-2015, 12:54   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Is it?
A. running all the time and getting too cold? That could be thermostat.
B. Or, I suspect running all the time and not cooling well, that is not the thermostat

Mine was an old as the devil Super Cold machine that wasn't cooling well. After some investigation I found that even though it was old as Methuselah, it was just simply undersized and I was faced with two options, reduce the size of the box, by insulated the fool out of it, or replacing it with something big enough to do the job.
I got with Rich Boren and he put me a dual cold plate system with a larger than normal compressor, it works, but it's obvious from the duty cycle I could do with better insulation.
How big is your box? How cold is the cold plate getting, it is freezing solid?

Not sure how cold it gets. Lent my son my laser temp meter and haven't seen it since. Over this past summer my wife had to defrost it twice due to iceing it may need it again.
Old 28-10-2015, 13:01   #6

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Echo View Post
Not sure how cold it gets. Lent my son my laser temp meter and haven't seen it since. Over this past summer my wife had to defrost it twice due to iceing it may need it again.

Thermostat at fault - check that the sensing end is close to the evaporator.
Should be a small positioning clip.
paulajayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2015, 07:37   #7

Boat: Bavaria Cruiser 40

I know this is going to sound really daft but what is the ambient temperature in the boat, and particularly where the unit is?

I had a similar problem with my unit this summer as the external ambient temperature was hitting 40ºC. With the sea temperature nudging 30ºC it was quite warm in the bilge and in the under space where the fridge sits. I contacted the manufacturers, who were fantastic, for advice and it basically boils down to the ambient being above the rated temperature for the unit.

Most, if not the vast majority, of cooler units are designed for temperatures around normal domestic averages and rarely exceeding 35ºC. If it is too warm then they continue to run. We also find the same problem if the ambient is close to the internal temperature of the fridge.

Frustratingly there isn't much you can do about the rating of the unit short of changing it. What I did do was add extra ventilation holes to increase the air flow through the compartment and added a small 2" dia computer fan to the system (0.24amp draw) to help suck the warmer air out and into the heads cupboard next door. This did help a little and along with some careful tinkering with the thermostat setting I was able to reduce the overrunning.

For completeness of information I have lined the interior of my fridge with 10mm of closed cell foam all around (15mm in paces) and sandwiched 20mm of catering foil covered foam and corrugated cardboard underneath to insulate the fridge. I also use an automotive interior/exterior thermometer to monitor the temperature and under normal usage the unit runs for 15-20mins every 120mins keeping between -2ºC and 8ºC in the lower half.

Hope that helps

Keiron
kas_1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2015, 07:38   #8

Boat: Morgan 512 51'

If the plate is makin ice then it is working.
Look at how much ice is building around the plate as that will reduce the efficiency of the box. You mention that it was an "added box" so you should also look at the clearance around the compressor and the external coils. You had a hot summer and if the air flow over the compressor and coils was limited, the compressor will run a long time. I recently added a pancake fan and a 100 deg thermal switch from Grainger to my fridge to circ. air over the compressor and ext. coil. It goes comes on automatic and greatly reduces run time.
captain mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2015, 07:43   #9

Boat: Former owner of a Valiant V40

Assuming it is indeed a cold plate and not an evaporator, then check to see if the eutectic has leaked out. If so, refill it. Eutectics are generally a mixture of water and antifreeze. Don't have the specs handy, but you can google them.
jamhass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2015, 07:44   #10

Boat: Lagoon 52

In a old fridge you will loose the Gas (perhaps R137)by a small leak. you should refill it. if there is no valve to refill (valve like in a car tire) a Spezialist for cooling System can weld in one. cost me in caribean about 60,-.
herbert.dietz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2015, 08:28   #11

Boat: Endeavourcat 30

Had a similar problem, turned out the fins to cool the refrigerant had grown a firkin. About a half inch thick, no air got through or past it. Peeled it off, cleaned up the loose dirt and the fridge is as good as new. Good luck with yours.
CapnBazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2015, 08:53   #12

What is a firkin? From your description it sounds like some kind of fungus. Sounds like something I do not wish to explore. Mac
Hard Rock Candy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2015, 08:59   #13

Boat: Brewer designed Pacific 43 in fiberglass. Center cockpit set up for long-distance single handing.

http://www.thetford.com/wp-content/u...Parts-List.pdf

Scroll down to compressor runs continually.
Page 5
seasick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2015, 09:11   #14

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hard Rock Candy View Post
What is a firkin? From your description it sounds like some kind of fungus. Sounds like something I do not wish to explore. Mac

It is like a merkin but bigger and fluffier.
paulajayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2015, 17:09   #15

Boat: Endeavourcat 30

Thank you paulajayne, couldn't have explained it better. But it was autocorrect that substituted firkin for merkin, a firkin is a unit of measure, a merkin, well, google it. Fridges don't like either.
CapnBazza is offline   Reply With Quote