Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-12-2013, 09:56   #16

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates
Re: Full Time Cruising ?'s

[QUOTE=Teknav;1411412] you'll need medical & dental insurance; as we get older, our "parts" will require treatment.

Totally disagree with this -- we have been out 6 years and had a lot of medical and dental done -- just had a lost filling replaced here in Tunisia and cost 36USD for xrays and filling - we have had medical issues taken care of from Mexico to panama to colombia to trinidad to st lucia to antigua (most expensive by far) to tunisia - and paid cash and a lot less by far than the USA

Oh no lawyer ads anywhere either
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 10:13   #17

You have two options:
1) Be a bum. Go downtown and see how they live, you are just trying to do that on a boat. There have been many who have done this. Most communities are kicking them out of the harbor before their trashy boat sinks.
2) Come up with a plan. How hireable will you be at age 60? Try sailing or living aboard while working and see if you even like it. Keep working and put together a nestegg. Retire at 62 so you have your Soc Security. You dont need a big boat. Then go have fun!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 10:32   #18

Boat: Skookum 53'

Too True Cheechako, most companies are not real enthusiastic about hiring a 50+ year old. The market gets real thin after 55. Being 55, I understand that all too well. However, some of us old geezers have a wealth of experience and the wisdom to apply it properly, not mention the capacity to work around a problem. Not much value in the market of vidiot gamers, but we usually can find our way without too much help. I would much rather work with people in my age group, than some kid that thinks he knows it all and has a zero clue. I know those guys, I used to be one myself.
Old 10-12-2013, 10:32   #19

B-Break
O-Out
A-Another
T-Thousand
Just BS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 10:44   #20

[QUOTE=chuckr;1411581]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknav View Post
you'll need medical & dental insurance; as we get older, our "parts" will require treatment.

Totally disagree with this -- we have been out 6 years and had a lot of medical and dental done -- just had a lost filling replaced here in Tunisia and cost 36USD for xrays and filling - we have had medical issues taken care of from Mexico to panama to colombia to trinidad to st lucia to antigua (most expensive by far) to tunisia - and paid cash and a lot less by far than the USA

Oh no lawyer ads anywhere either
Medical/dental care can be a bargain the third world. I often wonder what happens if you need something big though.... major surgury etc. My gut says those with the money live, those that dont dont get much help but comfort....?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 10:45   #21

Boat: Albin Vega 27' Gemini Dreams

Quote:
Some questions I have are;
1) What do you do for $$ when you run out?
2) How about medical attention with no insurance
3) Do I need a passport?
4) Can I carry a firearm, or would a spear gun be better?
5) Can one really live CHEAP if anchoring out and staying away from marinas.
Any help or insight would be much appreciated and I have no doubt I will have more to ask. Again, thanks in advance to a great community.
Frank
  1. Work Part time during the hurricane season
  2. ACA will not cover the male sailor that does not meet the requirements! If you are making less than X amount and live in the South East the states have refused to accept expanded medicaid on their dime. Go to other countries for you medical. Even the Bahamas are way cheaper! Blame the lawyers and insurance companies.
  3. Yes
  4. A pole spear can feed you a gun can incarcerate you.
  5. Yes, Canned veggies are $0.50 a can on sale etc. Restaurants and docks kill the cruising budget.

If your boat is adequately prepared at the beginning you two can live for $10k a year easy. Less if always anchored out.

Rule One:Everything with a budget cruiser is a choice of compromises.

examples. Roll-up dinghies take less space and cost about $150 to $200 a year due to repairs and life span(unless you find the coral and then they are over $750 a year. A hard dinghy will last as long as the mother ship. Both start life about the same price. You could also save the $1700 for the roll p dinghy motor and row the hard dinghy! Over twenty years the roll up dinghy will cost you about $7,000 (assuming replace three times, motor, fuel, and maintenance, No catastrophic failures!). The rowed hard dinghy will run you the original $800 bucks and perhaps some oar guides later in life. BUT YOU WILL DO MORE, GO MORE, SEE MORE WITH THE MOTOR!

You can get good used sails for $350 up that will last for a few years. New ones cost $1500 and up but will last for longer.

Expect to replace the flares and safety equipment every two years!

If you can feed yourself 4 days out of 7 with the sea that cuts the food bill in half. Note: fishing is fishing they don't call it catching!

The list goes on and on and on.

You can live 9 months out of the year for $300 a month. What you spend the other 3 months is what kills your budget.

w
Old 10-12-2013, 10:48   #22
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

boats can be repaired inexpensively. i know that for a fact. if they could not so be,i would not be able to afford this lifestyle. just donot hire out your work inside usa or close to the borders thereto. fact. labor is higher. parts are dearer.
lol.i will let you know how much my engine complete rebuild including injector and lift pumps cost outside of usa.
injector pump was less than 150 usd for rebuild completely. inside usa prices for this rebuild are between 1200usd and 180 usd dependent upon who has the platinum paws to do the job.

to the naysayers--try doing this for a while with a strictly limited budget. is doable. do not tell folks they CANNOT when there is no such word as cannot.

as far as health care goes...anywhere now except usa. i wouldnot trust the physicians willing to be paid by this bunk bs insurance nonsense to do the job without a side effect. yes i did work inside the system for over 30 years. rodlmffao. there are some good mds left but i still donot trust my peers.,..lol i know way too much.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 11:09   #23
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Full Time Cruising ?'s

[QUOTE=Cheechako;1411612]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckr View Post
Medical/dental care can be a bargain the third world. I often wonder what happens if you need something big though.... major surgury etc. My gut says those with the money live, those that dont dont get much help but comfort....?
Well I happen to know someone who flew from Canada to Pakistan to have a tumor removed from their colon... excellent job..
And a crew member had a tooth capped in Palm Beach last year.. $850... sheesh.. compare that to Tunisia..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 11:18   #24

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

The cost of flying/sailing/lodging/meals/time spent to a third world country to get medical/dental treatments should be factored in your health care expense calculations. Once you've added all that "overhead"...

Mauritz
Cheap is expensive!
Old 10-12-2013, 11:51   #25

i am living on less than half of my ssdi monthly income as i am buying local parts and repairing my boat....my living incomeis less thqqn 9000 annually. i cannoot do that in usa. to be treated in aprivate hospital here in mexico it costs 500 usd fro everything including iv fluids and medications. what is the big deal.
Old 10-12-2013, 12:19   #26
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"

[QUOTE=Teknav;1411412]Hi! Treat sailing as a HOBBY! It is a variation of camping that requires deep pockets. Sail a few weeks a year, before leaving earth. Full time sailing is NOT recommended. You'll need a constant source of income (no less than $1500 USD/month) and you'll need medical & dental insurance; as we get older, our "parts" will require treatment. The boat will ALWAYS need insurance, maintenance and repairs; $$$$. The bottom line, keep your job/source of income intact; do NOT quit. Sail a few weeks every year; that's the way to enjoy life. Traveling ANYWHERE outside the US requires you to have a valid passport. Good luck!

Ive been full time liveaboard cruiser for 8 yrs now. Not one of those years did i average anywhere near $1500 a month. I carry no insurance and never wished I had some, never been towed or rescued. Barter is huge, Once you get to know people who are in various marine businesses most things can be had at a fraction of the cost.Bottom jobs can be done without a lift using the tides. I have a sewing machine aboard and the equipment necessary to fabricate just about anything stitched on a boat.(with the exception of building a new sail). I travel up and down the east coast with the seasons and have customers waiting in many ports for my arrival as I can beat canvas shops pricing schedule by a wide margin and still make enough money. Recently I supplied labor to reupholster a businesses workboat and was given free access to their yard full of boat parts and a marine hardware store. I obtained many times more value in parts than if i would have charged my usual rates and they were ecstatic to not having to shell out cash. Fishing is huge, as well as preserving your own food. i have in excess of 100 canning jars full of smoked fish, beans, soups etc,,,, Jars lids and rings can be used over and over. Read the cruising on $500 a month thread to get ideas. Take care of yourself, eat right, lose smoking and other health destroying habits. I havent seen a doctor in many years and feel more fit and healthy than when I was running a business with all the associated stress. You need a passport to visit foreign ports but you could cruise for many years and not see all there is to see in the usa. I know MANY people doing the full time cruising thing. i dont know any who will say they regret their decision.
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 14:38   #27

just got towed a mile and anchored..set and backed down and relocated slightly by panga for 500 pesos...that is 40 something dollars. no red or yellow guys here...just fishermen.
and i am just enough aground to be not going anywhere via dragging anchor. high tide is in 4 more hours..i be fine. flat tides tonight so i am good to kedge in am....we get my fat bottom girl into deeper water.
my foods cost me under 100 usd monthly....

someone please tell me why i NEED deep pockets RODLMFFAO
Old 10-12-2013, 15:02   #28
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Full Time Cruising ?'s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknav View Post
The cost of flying/sailing/lodging/meals/time spent to a third world country to get medical/dental treatments should be factored in your health care expense calculations. Once you've added all that "overhead"...

Mauritz
Cheap is expensive!
Its not what you know... its who you know..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 15:04   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post

exactly.
Old 10-12-2013, 19:21   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post

Or something like that....
Just BS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising