Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-03-2015, 11:08   #46
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: Gay life: cruising and aboard a ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Nope, but I bet that being gay on boat there is pretty much like being gay there on land. And that was my only point.

BTW - I'm sure is lots of places we could replace being gay to a different religion and get the same result.
you could be right,i was anchored next to two young gay blokes on a boat in st martin for 6months, they had a little herb garden on the aft deck of their 50ft yacht, that they would prune in their G-strings.......guess they must have done the same thing as dirt dwellers in their house
Old 28-03-2015, 11:18   #47
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
Again, my apologies!
No need at all to apologize. Wasn't like I was insulted or my preferences questioned.
Old 28-03-2015, 11:18   #48
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
.......guess they must have done the same thing as dirt dwellers in their house

Maybe, did you ask them.

But I don't understand what herbs have to do with the subject.
Old 28-03-2015, 11:33   #49

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
you could be right,i was anchored next to two young gay blokes on a boat in st martin for 6months, they had a little herb garden on the aft deck of their 50ft yacht, that they would prune in their G-strings.......guess they must have done the same thing as dirt dwellers in their house
A guy in a g-string and girl in a bikini trimming weed wouldn't be any different. I'd prefer she would be topless. It is what it is.
Old 28-03-2015, 11:40   #50
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
A guy in a g-string and girl in a bikini trimming weed wouldn't be any different. I'd prefer she would be topless. It is what it is.
at the time I was working on Orient nudist beach so I guess they were a bit over dressed compared to my normal working attire.............
Old 28-03-2015, 11:55   #51

Boat: TBD

Hopefully you will not find anything out of the ordinary from other cruisers. People on land is another thing entirely. I am 60 now, a gay guy, but I have always said it is only a part of me, not something that defines me as a person. Women still try to fix me up with their single girlfriends...I politely decline.

That said, there are a lot of unenlightened people out there still. I've seen it everywhere, but I generally don't have a problem.

And from this group you won't have any problem unless you mention "Hunter" and "Blue Water" in the same sentence <lol>

Glad you brought it up. I will be interested in your website since the only things I can find are about big-ship cruises and vacation packages and the like when I search for "Gay" and "sailing".
Old 28-03-2015, 13:06   #52
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

I dunno, seems like a LoT of google hits....
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1427572626.942837.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	188.9 KB
ID:	99608
Btw sailed nearby sephina of Beaumaris a lot in our travels. Always notice the name as it's the only other with sephina in the name besides ours.
In defence of the bloke that asked why you need to specify sexual preference or lifestyle or genetic orientation or whatever the politically correct terminology is, when meeting others, I think he's simply saying if it doesn't really matter to him and others then why make a big deal out of it. A bit like asking for crew: must be Asian and able to do soapy massage. I don't particularly like exclusive groups, whether they be male only, female sailors only, rich or poor gay or straight, it seems people that describe themselves in any of those ways are excluding others not in the same club
Old 28-03-2015, 13:20   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
No need at all to apologize. Wasn't like I was insulted or my preferences questioned.
No, but I did (sorta) insinuate that you couldn't read, and it was I who totally misread his sentence, so I do think that requires an apology, especially in light of your patient and polite response. I probably need some reading glasses as well. LOL
Old 28-03-2015, 13:24   #54

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Quote:
I think you are making a mountain out of a molehill.

and I think your issue,to quote in your own words is

"There is No issue with anyone being Gay, Its the issue that gay people , Like yourself, have this need to feel thay have to share it with everyone else... as approval in who they are..

I equate this to the early civil rights movement in the usa,it was not until the discriminated against people got out on the streets and presented their case to gain recognition that they were not second class citizens.

until then discrimination was an accepted fact of life,that most people were unaware they were commiting,as they had never had need to think otherwise.

ingrained racism,like ingrained homophobia is something that has to be unlearned..........being "in your face" is a tool that work's in our western democratic workers paradise for facilitating social change

inmho randyonr3

I completely agree with atoll on this.

S/V B'Shert
Old 28-03-2015, 13:25   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
I dunno, seems like a LoT of google hits....
Attachment 99608
Btw sailed nearby sephina of Beaumaris a lot in our travels. Always notice the name as it's the only other with sephina in the name besides ours.
In defence of the bloke that asked why you need to specify sexual preference or lifestyle or genetic orientation or whatever the politically correct terminology is, when meeting others, I think he's simply saying if it doesn't really matter to him and others then why make a big deal out of it. A bit like asking for crew: must be Asian and able to do soapy massage. I don't particularly like exclusive groups, whether they be male only, female sailors only, rich or poor gay or straight, it seems people that describe themselves in any of those ways are excluding others not in the same club

While I don't like excluding people or groups that do exclude people, when it comes to advertising for crew, I can understand being clear about your preferences from the start. Whether you want a salty, experienced deck hand or a nubile young lady who wants to trade favors to get down the coast, being specific up front sure keeps the disappointment down later on in the journey.
Old 28-03-2015, 15:32   #56

Boat: Bavaria 37 (2007)

At the risk of sounding contrary, my impression is that gay people are less visible in the cruising community than ashore.

In my home country, Australia, I am a member of a gay yachting club where I spend most of my limited social and sailing time. But I don't think that was the OP's original point. I think he was asking more about experiences in overseas or global cruising community.

My home port is Thailand and I can honestly say I have never experienced any overt homophobia by the cruising community there. The community consists mostly of white couples either based there or resting part way through their world cruise. Then there is a fair percentage of "older salts" who have made the place their home and many of them have found a local lady for a partner. In my three years there I have only met one gay man and no gay women in the cruising community.

While I am not the sort of person that goes around wearing my sexuality on my sleeve or proselytising I don't shirk from it either. Frankly, I am not interested in what bedroom activities other people get up to and I expect them to be equally disinterested in mine. That attitude seems to be a pretty universal rule. People respect each others privacy.

On the other hand, I don't have any girlfriends and I am pretty sure the good looking young men I sometimes take cruising with me raise some eyebrows. However, the subject of my sexuality has only come up in conversation twice in three years where I felt it was necessary to be frank.

I have never heard any homophobic remarks made in conversation or experienced any sort of overt discrimination by people in the cruising community or from local workers in the marina where I am berthed.

I may be an exception, as has been pointed out already, different countries have different customs and Thailand has a reputation of being more liberal than most. If I have any misgivings, it would be nice to have a few more acquaintances like me just to have a good old gossip and a few ales with.

I hope that answers you question.
Old 28-03-2015, 15:49   #57

Boat: Camano Troll

I haven't knowingly met any gay cruisers but in my experience, most gay people don't wear signs or other indicators of their sexual preference (gaysailorbill may be an exception) . I would treat gay cruisers like I would treat any cruisers unless they gave me reason to do otherwise. Just like when I'm not cruising.

I worked with a few gay people before I retired but their "gayness" was never a subject of conversation.
Old 28-03-2015, 16:12   #58

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana

Gay-Schmay...who cares? But don't mention Anchors or Guns...that will get you into trouble...
Old 28-03-2015, 18:28   #59

Boat: Nordic sailboat 44’

My first thought is that the ocean doesn't have an opinion on whether someone is gay, straight or otherwise oriented and neither do the whales or the wild creatures we see on our travels. Such lovely freedom to just be! One of things I enjoy about cruising.......
Old 28-03-2015, 18:51   #60

Boat: 1995 Catalina 36 MkII

C'mon people this is a sailing forum. If you have a topic that will help me be a better or more knowledgeable sailer bring it on. There are other forums where these lifestyle discussions can and should go. In this case I would guess there are all kinds of gay forums where people would respond to a discussion like this. And the OP would be sure he was speaking to an audience that could help him with his questions. Starting such a thread here makes me suspicious about the real agenda.

OK can someone help me with a stuck marelon y-valve on the Bombay Pilothouse I am refitting? It sticks about 2/3rds of the way from overboard to holding tank. I am afraid to break off the handle. Any secrets for getting it unstuck?
Closed Thread

Tags
cruising, gay