Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-03-2015, 09:48   #121
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
Re: Gay life: cruising and aboard a ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
What I find unfathomable about homosexual people, and in particular men, is their almost pathological need to declare/broadcast/noterize/impose their particular sexual proclivities to/on the public. How one conducts oneself in the privacy of one's home, yacht or particularl circle of friends is of no business, concern, or interest to uninvolved others, unless it is pushed in their faces, which seems to be a particular practice by homsexual men. Many/most find the imposition very offensive, no less so than they might find having hetrosexual practices such as S&M, Bondage and other equally extraordinary behaviors imposed upon them. Frankly, if you simply keep your proclivities to yourself you might find that people will relate to/treat you as well as they do any other person. We have, on many occassions been in anchorages with other yachts crewed by two or three men, only, or women, only. What their particular private personal relationships were was of no concern or consideration at all and I can't recall a single case where they were ever questioned or even discussed. We have also been in anchorages, particularly in the BVI, where groups of vacationing homosexual men have carried on on-deck, on the beaches and on a few occassions in some of the bars in such a manner as to offend ones sense of common deciency (some of the public bahaviors in Key West is a good example) as a result of which we decamped for other parts. We/Most don't care how you lead your private life, emphises on "private". Absent that, you create the animous you decry.

Now, if you have something useful to contribute to discussions concering sailing/cruising, do so. If, however, you wish to flog your particular lifestyle do so as well--but on forums oriented for your particular lifestyle.
But you're fine with "Show us you t*ts!" in the NASCAR infield or Spring Break in Ft. Lauderdale?

What you seem to be saying is you don't like it when gays get "uppity."
Old 29-03-2015, 10:00   #122

Boat: TBD

Quote:
What I find unfathomable about homosexual people, and in particular men, is their almost pathological need to declare/broadcast/noterize/impose their particular sexual proclivities to/on the public. ......
Gross over generalizations, IMHO, are a major impediment to meaningful conversations about society in general.

Not all police are bad.
Not all blacks are criminals.
Not all gays are effeminate or have sex in public or are in your face with their sexuality.

I'm gay, but I am one of those folks who just don't think it is the beginning and end of who I am. I don't, and I hate this word, "flaunt" anything any more than I would "flaunt" being a Catholic or a philatelist (look it up.)

Now.. back to Hunter bashing...
Old 29-03-2015, 10:06   #123
cruiser

Boat: San Juan 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris95040 View Post
wow that was fast.

Didn't notice the OP asking for 'recognition', 'approval', or to be 'treated any different than anyone else.'

And I've seen many threads here that are of the format 'I'm (some group they identify with), anyone else (that group)? Let's talk about stuff from (that group's) perspective.' Much like this one.

But when (some group) is 'diabetic', or 'new to boating', or 'Canadian', I suspect you don't jump on the thread and make a vitriolic post like this.
Perhaps you missed the point of demanding "special treatment " or demanding those with different views reject those views and practice a tolerance NOT practiced by those demanding it. If you don't think there is a difference in being diabetic vs homosexual and the behavior thus demonstrated, perhaps a definition of being "open minded" would be beneficial. The way the OP posed the question sets the OP apart. Why do that?
Old 29-03-2015, 10:16   #124

Boat: TBD

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanzerTom View Post
Perhaps you missed the point of demanding "special treatment " or demanding those with different views reject those views and practice a tolerance NOT practiced by those demanding it. If you don't think there is a difference in being diabetic vs homosexual and the behavior thus demonstrated, perhaps a definition of being "open minded" would be beneficial. The way the OP posed the question sets the OP apart. Why do that?
I re-read the OPs initial post and for the life of me I can't find a single demand in it?

Old 29-03-2015, 10:20   #125
cruiser

Boat: San Juan 24

[QUOTE=Reefmagnet;1786851]Well, you know. Like it or lump it gay people are subject to discrimination in society no matter how politically correct everyone pretends to be. Aside from sexuality they are no different from us "straights" ranging all the way from horribly obnoxious and best avoided to fun to be around.

It just strikes me that the OP is simply interested in hearing about attitudes in general to gay people on the cruising scene. I don't think they're self promoting or recruiting batters for their team in any way.[/QUO
Agree with those who could care less what one does and with whom. I would like to point out there is no straight pride movement, no normal rights movement, and no one asking about normal sex life experiences in the cruising community. And guess who will find my comments "offensive" while giving no thought to those who may have found the OP's query offensive!
Old 29-03-2015, 10:20   #126

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 40.3

I don't think there's any doubt that Freud would have a field day with people who seem to be obsessed with having "the Gay" shoved in their faces. If one spends a lot of time and emotional energy thinking about gay sex, they might well benefit from discussing their issues in a professional setting. We are all aware of the prominent gay-bashers who have been caught walking on the wild side or proclaiming to have a "wide stance."

We live in one of the most homophobic, discriminatory states, but I'm happy to say that my wife and I never encountered any criticism or rudeness from our fellow lake sailors when we've had gay couples sailing with us as we often did because a lot of our friends are gay.

We're now salt water sailors out of Pensacola, and we've not encountered any bigotry among the sailors we know. There are a lot of street festivals here that attract a diverse crowd and I've not seen any rude reactions to couples of holding hands or hugging regardless of their sex. Perhaps people simply act friendlier in person than when hidden by the anonymity of a screen name on the internet.

Fair winds,

Leo
Old 29-03-2015, 10:24   #127

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman View Post
But you're fine with "Show us you t*ts!" in the NASCAR infield or Spring Break in Ft. Lauderdale?
We, and our circle of friends, would find that and the other shenanigans one sometimes witnesses by "Spring Breakers" equally unpalatable and we do avoid places were such goings on are common-place to the extent possible.

Quote:
What you seem to be saying is you don't like it when gays get "uppity."
What I said, in summary, was that when one imposes their particular sexual proclivities on others, they should not be surprised if such impositions engender rejection. We have many close friends, and even relatives, that lead alternate lifestyles, gay and otherwise. That they do so does not preclude or inhibit our friendships, admiration or affections. IF they chose to impose their choices on us, it might. If I could make one amendment to my earlier comment, it might be to insert the word "some" before the term men, as in the phrase '...and in particular some men, is their almost pathological need to declare/broadcast/notarize/impose their particular sexual proclivities...'

Here Homer Nods...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 29-03-2015, 10:26   #128
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

[QUOTE=TanzerTom;1788044]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
Well, you know. Like it or lump it gay people are subject to discrimination in society no matter how politically correct everyone pretends to be. Aside from sexuality they are no different from us "straights" ranging all the way from horribly obnoxious and best avoided to fun to be around.

It just strikes me that the OP is simply interested in hearing about attitudes in general to gay people on the cruising scene. I don't think they're self promoting or recruiting batters for their team in any way.[/QUO
Agree with those who could care less what one does and with whom. I would like to point out there is no straight pride movement, no normal rights movement, and no one asking about normal sex life experiences in the cruising community. And guess who will find my comments "offensive" while giving no thought to those who may have found the OP's query offensive!
I beg to differ. I have seen several posts over the years asking about "normal sex life experiences in the cruising community." Just do a search and I'm sure you'll find them.

And if you really "could care less" [sic] (again, I must assume what you mean by that is "couldn't care less" -- yes, think about it!), then why bother to dip into this conversation at all?
Old 29-03-2015, 10:28   #129
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
No, but I did (sorta) insinuate that you couldn't read, and it was I who totally misread his sentence, so I do think that requires an apology, especially in light of your patient and polite response. I probably need some reading glasses as well. LOL
I do read well although I do also need glasses for small print.

It's comprehension that gives me a problem.

Old 29-03-2015, 10:30   #130
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
We, and our circle of friends, would find that and the other shenanigans one sometimes witnesses by "Spring Breakers" equally unpalatable and we do avoid places were such goings on are common-place to the extent possible.

What I said, in summary, was that when one imposes their particular sexual proclivities on others, they should not be surprised if such impositions engender rejection. We have many close friends, and even relatives, that lead alternate lifestyles, gay and otherwise. That they do so does not preclude or inhibit our friendships, admiration or affections. IF they chose to impose their choices on us, it might. If I could make one amendment to my earlier comment, it might be to insert the word "some" before the term men, as in the phrase '...and in particular some men, is their almost pathological need to declare/broadcast/notarize/impose their particular sexual proclivities...'

Here Homer Nods...
Sorry, I don't buy this faux libertarianism.

I have known a lot of gay people in my life and not one of them has ever imposed a "proclivity" on me. Not once in 50 years. Even if that did happen, I don't think the attempt would illicit more than a chuckle, frankly. I was born straight and will be that way until I die. Some other folks I know were born gay and likewise, they will always be that way. They can't impose their proclivities on me any more than I could mine on them.
Old 29-03-2015, 10:32   #131

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 40.3

[QUOTE=TanzerTom;1788044]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
I would like to point out there is no straight pride movement, no normal rights movement, and no one asking about normal sex life experiences in the cruising community. And guess who will find my comments "offensive" while giving no thought to those who may have found the OP's query offensive!
There is no straight pride movement because straight people were never persecuted or even killed for being straight. This should be simple to understand; it's the same reason black America needed the civil rights movement.

I don't find anything offensive in the OP; if you do, I would say you are far too easily offended.

Fair winds,

Leo
Old 29-03-2015, 10:32   #132

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Ah, Tasmania...in the 70's there was still a law saying that men couldn't dress as women 'after dark'..... in 'the day' was ok...
That was still around until it was repealed in the 90's also, along with the need to have a person walk in front of a m/v with a red flag and the Sunday Observance Act which prevented shops from opening on a Sunday or from mowing u ur lawn on a Sunday.
Old 29-03-2015, 10:42   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaysailorbill View Post
Hi there. Just so I'm not misunderstood, the reason for my profile name is not to put straight folk off but rather to open abou lt who I am and make it easy for other gay sailors to identify me... Even if it comes with some risk
when I first seen your handle I just assumed you were a happy chap. I'm showing my age with what 'gay' once meant.
Old 29-03-2015, 10:51   #134

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42

[QUOTE=Leo Ticheli;1788058]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TanzerTom View Post

There is no straight pride movement because straight people were never persecuted for being straight.

Leo
I dont know about that one Leo... I'm a practicing Polygamist and have been for over 40 years.. not only am I shunted for my belief, I could very well go to jail for what I do.. Here in the US..

Just a different way of looking at it..

But the difference is, its my personal life and not shared with others..
Old 29-03-2015, 10:59   #135

[QUOTE=Randyonr3;1788071]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Ticheli View Post

I dont know about that one Leo... I'm a practicing Polygamist and have been for over 40 years.. not only am I shunted for my belief, I could very well go to jail for what I do.. Here in the US..

Just a different way of looking at it..

But the difference is, its my personal life and not shared with others..
Sorry to state the bleeding obvious, but being 'white' is not what your being shunned for but your polygamy.
Closed Thread

Tags
cruising, gay