Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2013, 20:40   #76

Boat: Gulfstar sailmaster 47 ??
Send a message via Yahoo to sillybilly Send a message via Skype™ to sillybilly
Re: Giving up the ranch in Colorado and moving to a live aboard sailboat in the Keys

jack,
That could be a posibilty. I've been to Florida many times having grown up on the east coast. grandparents had a place in Winter Park and parents had a condo in Delray Beach
sillybilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 21:07   #77

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)
Re: Giving up the ranch in Colorado and moving to a live aboard sailboat in the Keys

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillybilly View Post
jack,
That could be a posibilty. I've been to Florida many times having grown up on the east coast. grandparents had a place in Winter Park and parents had a condo in Delray Beach
I lived in Gainesville for a few years. Summers were horrid, otherwise nice.
You can live in the RV while you learn to sail and scout out what boat you want.
Always easy to sell an RV if not too big and expensive, I'd get a cheap one.
Old 10-09-2013, 05:46   #78

Boat: 1936 Rhodes Ketch, 46'
Quote:
Greetings all. My name is Bill.
I imagine this is where I should start. I am new to forums and this site . I am originally from the burbs of Philly and moved to a ranch I bought in the high country of Colorado(75acres @ 8,500 feet) . I am tired of the overly tea party conservative attitudes here and no work. So I am looking into a 40+ foot sailboat and moving to the keys. I have looked at cabin cruisers and houseboats, but my love aside from horses has always been sailing. I have sailed as tiny as it may be a Hobie Cat up north for over 35 years. And was lucky enough to have camped many times in the Keys and visited Fort Jefferson a number of times. And went to a camp called Summer Camp Afloat.
Life is or should be about adventure and so now for the next chapter. I want to live like a cancer survivor before I can't.
Yes there are hurricanes, but living here we have many forest fires( I have seen 10 with in 20 miles in 5 years) and encroaching beetle kill. If either fire or beetle kill gets here there goes any property value.
So if anyone has any advice hopefully good advice go for it.
We just sold our house in Fl 2 years ago to head to Maine, spent those 2 years restoring our 76 year old wooden ketch, and just moved aboard Aug 1. We are now on a mooring in Ma (where we lived before Fl) and will be living aboard for at least the next year (maybe longer). I can't offer you much advice about good boats for Fl other than a wooden one is not a good choice, but I think you'll like living aboard. I, too, am a horsewoman, and am trying to figure out how to ride while living aboard. I'll be teaching some clinics this fall in VA near where we will be with the boat, so that's a start. Not a lot of riding in the Keys, though
Old 10-09-2013, 06:43   #79

Nimble,
I know how to sail. Maybe not a large boat but I sail .
Old 10-09-2013, 06:44   #80
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viturina View Post
We just sold our house in Fl 2 years ago to head to Maine, spent those 2 years restoring our 76 year old wooden ketch, and just moved aboard Aug 1. We are now on a mooring in Ma (where we lived before Fl) and will be living aboard for at least the next year (maybe longer). I can't offer you much advice about good boats for Fl other than a wooden one is not a good choice, but I think you'll like living aboard. I, too, am a horsewoman, and am trying to figure out how to ride while living aboard. I'll be teaching some clinics this fall in VA near where we will be with the boat, so that's a start. Not a lot of riding in the Keys, though
Lots of sailboats and horses on Amelia Island Fla..You could live on the boat and ride horses up and down the beach all day ,nice place...
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 06:44   #81

Viturina,
You mean we can't tow the horse on it's own barge??? I like Maine but cold in winter. Sail up to Bar Harbor in the summer?
Old 10-09-2013, 07:40   #82

Quote:
Viturina,
You mean we can't tow the horse on it's own barge??? I like Maine but cold in winter. Sail up to Bar Harbor in the summer?
We were only in Maine because we had the boat initially in a yard there - pulled it from the yard & found a rental where we could put the boat in the drive, cover it, and work on it. I went to college in Maine but 2 years was enough of a refresher!
Old 10-09-2013, 07:49   #83

Lots of food for thought
Old 10-09-2013, 18:01   #84
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
Lots of sailboats and horses on Amelia Island Fla..You could live on the boat and ride horses up and down the beach all day ,nice place...
There are several operations that rent/give beach tours on horseback on Amelia Island and they have stalls and board too...There are a few boat yards/marinas and some are down town Fernandina beach..
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 12:49   #85
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
.......................... I am assuming that with the weather services advanced abilities to tell us where a storm/hurricane is and where it may be going that a live aboard boater can move up or down the coast as necessary??
This will be my home I can not afford to loose it.
I've read the entire thread, but I wanted to quote this early post to begin my response. My wife and I have lived in Florida aboard various sailboats for more than forty years, including the Keys, but mostly in northeast Florida. We regularly move our boat to a safe location when a hurricane is capable of reaching us within three days. Following this plan I will move my boat for protection more often than I end up being subjected to hurricane force winds. We have prepared for hurricanes on about 12 ocassions, but have only been subjected to actual hurricane force winds three times. If I were in Key West, because of the location, I would likely escape to safety at any time that a hurricane could strike me within four days. It's important to note than when you are arriving near your "safe harbor" bridges will no longer open for sailboats if their opening blocks a hurrican evacuation route or often if the winds are overr 35mph.

In addition, your idea that the rest of Florida is "God's waiting room" may be influenced by your experiences in Delray Beach and Winter Haven with your grandparents. There are huge areas of Florida that are not impacted with the concentrations of elderly snowbirds seeking a retirement village. There are wilderness clear water springs and youthful free thinking communities, especially for liveaboards, far from the high population impacted tiki bar life of South Florida. Fernandina was mentioned above, Orange Park south of Jacksonville is one of my favorites, St. Augustine excells, New Smyrna, Cocoa Beach, Carabelle, Destin, Gulfport, Tarpon Springs, St. George Island...... many places can fullfill your needs without the downfalls of the tourist and retirement tracts.
Old 11-09-2013, 20:51   #86

New to the forum, also thinking of a liveaboard but temporary. Was wondering in your situation would any liveaboarders ever consider temporary swap. Small farming/hunting land, horses 75 to 200 acres. Nice house, in your case CO in my case MS. May be some sailers out there wanting to test dry land for a time. A iffy situation but a thought.
DREAMERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 05:06   #87

Boat: Boatless
If you think living in Colorado is tough, live in the Keys on 10 bucks and hour!! Spent Monday down there with my Fiancee's uncle. It is dead in the keys. Lost of businesses closing up, new construction that was abandoned when the real estate market crashed. Not the same as it was not long ago. No really good prospects for work. I too was looking at Marathon because it's cheaper than most. Starting to rethink that.

This has been my personal experience........my father in law is an accountant. Got laid off when everything went south. Was out of work for a very, very long time. Finally got a job about a year, year and a half ago as a security guard making 12 bucks an hour. He's 64. You have to realize that in todays job climate your age is absolutely play a factor....unless you want to be a stock boy at K mart in Marathon.

Some other places where employment may be better is gonna cost more. Marinas that allow liveaboard are getting fewer, and more expensive down here. Have you considered California?
fishin4bogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 06:19   #88
Cap

Boat: 1984 Witness 35 Catamaran

Maybe everyone on board here has something against the Gulf Coast, but here in Texas there is still work, construction is still moving, and I see a lot of job openings for many types of work. Your age will definitely be a factor anywhere you go when it comes to looking for work, but that may not be an issue for you. I have a project boat on the coast here, Port Aransas, and although it gets pretty hot in the summer, it's pretty nice the rest of the year. Of course there is the potential for hurricanes, but knock on wood, I haven't dealt with any since buying the boat in 2009. I haven't sailed my boat a lot since buying it, again a project, but everyone I've talked to here enjoys sailing in the area.

The cost of living is not too bad, good schools/colleges,etc. I don't live on the coast, but there are jobs there; just finding one that pays well at our age can be a challenge, I'm almost 57. There are some places that allow liveaboards, I'm docked at one, and there is another just a little farther down the way. My slip fee is reasonable for a catamaran, it's about $118.00 a month. The place down the way wanted $360.00 a month, but hinted you could live aboard for that price.

Something to consider....Jeff
Cap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 06:26   #89

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

A belated welcome as I Just found this thread. Hobies are a great way to learn to sail. I have continuously owned one since 1972, currently have a 16 and a 21 in the Bahamas. If you decide on the Keys you should definitely consider a cat.
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 07:17   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishin4bogey View Post
If you think living in Colorado is tough, live in the Keys on 10 bucks and hour!! Spent Monday down there with my Fiancee's uncle. It is dead in the keys. Lost of businesses closing up, new construction that was abandoned when the real estate market crashed. Not the same as it was not long ago. No really good prospects for work. I too was looking at Marathon because it's cheaper than most. Starting to rethink that.

This has been my personal experience........my father in law is an accountant. Got laid off when everything went south. Was out of work for a very, very long time. Finally got a job about a year, year and a half ago as a security guard making 12 bucks an hour. He's 64. You have to realize that in todays job climate your age is absolutely play a factor....unless you want to be a stock boy at K mart in Marathon.

Some other places where employment may be better is gonna cost more. Marinas that allow liveaboard are getting fewer, and more expensive down here. Have you considered California?
Hi - so I don't know if this would be of interest to you or not, but what I've been doing for the past 22 years is partnering with people to create either full time income (with benefits) or part time income so that people can live aboard, or travel, or do whatever they want to do with their time. You can pm me at jenhagemann@mac.com if you want more details.

Tags
paracelle, sail, sailboat