Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-11-2019, 17:05   #481

Boat: Catalina 270
Thumbs up Re: Global catastrophe / SHTF "survivable locations"

Heartland America..USA
sanddollarsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2019, 17:26   #482

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail
Re: Global catastrophe / SHTF "survivable locations"

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
really not a good place to go .
There is the cascadia fault line , there is the Juan de fuca fault line both just offshore.
In all just in the Puget sound there are about 300 different faults , we also have 2 active and 4 dormant volcanoes within a 200 mile radius of Seattle.
Definitely not a good place to go in a bad scenario .

:whistli ng:
Newhaul knows, he's just trying to keep the rest of us away.

But a community with no road access is a good start. You have to have a boat.

You also have to have the skills and persistence to get to such an out of the way place.

And some road blocks, so to speak, might be worth while for the community once they feel they have enough people.

OH, there I go fanaticizing again.
Old 19-11-2019, 17:26   #483

Boat: Still building

Now, if some goody two shoes hadn't cleared all the (introduced) reindeer off South Georgia....

There's a cuppla former whaling stations there that would make good indoor gardens, with electricity generated from wind generators you brought with you...

Harvest a whale or two and there's all the blood and bone fertilizer for your gardens.

Just sayin....
Buzzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2019, 17:32   #484

Problem with the PNW is the islands are all too close too each other.

Effwits with a plastic kayak could get to you - and a kayak is sure big enough to carry a gun..!!

I'm thinking Rapa Nui, or the Galapagos, or the Marquesas, Tuamotus, Fiji and Tonga outer islands, Diego Garcia.

IF climate cha nge kicks in a bit harder, some of the now uninhabitable southern (and northern) latitudes islands will become potentially habitable - like South Georgia, the Crozets, Kerguelen etc.

Tristan da Cunha or St Helena would be good communities to 'plug in' to.

But nowhere in Asia....
Old 26-11-2019, 06:05   #485

https://www.skilledsurvival.com/life...twawki-part-1/
Old 26-11-2019, 06:32   #486
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzman View Post
... IF climate change kicks in a bit harder, some of the now uninhabitable southern (and northern) latitudes islands will become potentially habitable - like South Georgia, the Crozets, Kerguelen etc.
Tristan da Cunha or St Helena would be good communities to 'plug in' to...
Whilst the climate may become more hospitable at higher latitudes, it will take some time for soil productivity/fertility conditions to evolve, allowing agriculture to thrive.
There’s also the effects of daylight length, and “quality”, which won’t change much.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2019, 08:42   #487

Boat: Catalina & Maycraft

The kinda creepy thing about all this is - in the back of the mind, this is all realistic. As a world we have advanced and increased WMD technology, naturally disseminating. Add in tribalism, calculated disinformation, fake but realistic videos of computer animated public figures spouting controversial things, and closed information loops... and there you have it eventually. Then you have climate change, and displacements across boarders, etc. Not to forget growing and stark contrasts in inequality...
Hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2019, 13:26   #488

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Nor general resource depletion: water and soil but also SAND of all things. It seems high quality construction sand must come from river beds and these are being depleted.

But the my fav is the collapse of the global financial system. I just read a book someone recommended me “The Big Short” by Michael Lewis. They can’t all really be that dumb? Well, actually they were and are!

But look on the bright side, It’s all just really great justification to buy a really good boat.
hpeer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2019, 13:50   #489

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
But the my fav is the collapse of the global financial system. I just read a book someone recommended me “The Big Short” by Michael Lewis. They can’t all really be that dumb? Well, actually they were and are! .
The derivatives market didn't go away - it's still out there. It's just as if 2008 didn't happen. There won't be a bail out only a bail in. Large depositors will have their accounts taken by the banks they trusted and be given non-voting shares in the companies.

My Dad told me in 2008, that Iceland was the only country that jailed the bankers. After that, the EU would not process Iceland's application for membership. Iceland still doesn't need the EU and Britain won't either once they extricate themselves. The EU needs Britain.
Old 26-11-2019, 14:05   #490

Boat: Catalina & Maycraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Nor general resource depletion: water and soil but also SAND of all things. It seems high quality construction sand must come from river beds and these are being depleted.

But the my fav is the collapse of the global financial system. I just read a book someone recommended me “The Big Short” by Michael Lewis. They can’t all really be that dumb? Well, actually they were and are!

But look on the bright side, It’s all just really great justification to buy a really good boat.

No kidding - and how long would it take to knock out the financial system? Probably the time it would take to knock out a few satellites, and/or disrupt the power grid. Not many people carry a lot of cash anymore, and increasingly, a lot of payment systems only take credit cards. Might only take a few hours to really do it - and what if when it comes back online - everyone's bank account and credit balances are inaccurate? That would be an attack of chaos... then likely downhill from that point.
Hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2019, 14:41   #491
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Who runs barter town
Old 26-11-2019, 17:22   #492

Gonna be interesting.

All these "new digital jobs" in coding and games and CGI....

Not gonna be much help growing vegetables, and won't be worth a three-year-old carrot to barter.

If I was a young 'coder' (as apparently they are called) I'd be taking up lumberjacking, or plumbing, or farming, on the weekends, so I had a skill that was worth 'bartering'.

Has anyone seen the original TV series of 'The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy', in which the people of Golgafrincham created mass hysteria around an 'imaginary giant space goat' that was going to swallow up the planet, and, in the following confusion, were able to ship off into space on a one way ticket to nowhere, the entire world's population of middle managers, telephone sanitisers, marketing consultants....and, I daresay, 'coders'....

Worth a read or a look if you haven't seen it. Douglas Adams was an excellent writer!
Old 26-11-2019, 17:50   #493
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Gonna be interesting.

Not gonna be much help growing vegetables, and won't be worth a three-year-old carrot to barter.

If I was a young 'coder' (as apparently they are called) I'd be taking up lumberjacking, or plumbing, or farming, on the weekends, so I had a skill that was worth 'bartering'.

Has anyone seen the original TV series of 'The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy', in which the people of Golgafrincham created mass hysteria around an 'imaginary giant space goat' that was going to swallow up the planet, and, in the following confusion, were able to ship off into space on a one way ticket to nowhere, the entire world's population of middle managers, telephone sanitisers, marketing consultants....and, I daresay, 'coders'....

Worth a read or a look if you haven't seen it. Douglas Adams was an excellent writer!
yes it will be interesting .
Yep Douglas Adams was a great writer .
https://youtu.be/8jjU01KyaGc
The movie from the book.
Old 26-11-2019, 18:08   #494

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Gonna be interesting.

Don't forget what happened to the Golgafrinchams afterwards. They were wiped out by a virulent disease contracted from a dirty telephone.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2019, 18:19   #495

Quote:
LOL... I'm eating the cat food because the cat no longer needs it..!! BURP!
Best I've read in months. still laughing.
peter57 is offline   Reply With Quote