Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-02-2012, 10:53   #16
Armchair Bucketeer

Re: Going Liveaboard (ish) - End of March (ish)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgzzzz View Post
You've mentioned living in Asia previously. Wouldn't that be about the cheapest place on the planet, and still provide access to food, spares, and people? But I guess has few opportunies to make money.
Yeah ........But you hit the nail on the head about the making money side - it is of course doable, but from past experiances too much of a PITA (aka too much like hardwork! for too little gain - at least for me). Well, for anything legit involving paying taxes and stuff .

But I do miss being out there - in an ideal world would be 6 months here (I really like being here! and hereabouts) and 6 months (or so) in SE Asia (the winter months!).....I have done the "travelling" thing, so the novelty of arriving in new places well worn off - what works for me is having a life that I can build up and that involves people (not to say that I am really a people person ), and that takes time / years - meeting new people 24/7 just (for me) gets old real quick. Anyway, did the 2 lives thing for a decade or so ......would be nice to have a boat both ends, but that for the future......

In regard to the no WIFI / Internet - plusses and minuses to that (I spend too much time on da 'net - folks may have noticed ).....but in any event will still have at least an internet connection at DOJ homebase, even if I only use once a week. I do expect withdrawal symptoms though .....but cheers for the connection suggestions .

On the 80% rule, I think that sounds a good approach .....to be honest, I have been using the refurb over recent years as a way of hiding away from the world - things being 100% in advance of doing not really me, historically was more of a "f#ck it, lets see what happens" type of approach to life. Often involving stupidity and alcohol (albeit not always both ).

Well, today I painted the saloon bilge (white), might give it another coat tommorow (or maybe not ) - I figured that was on my needed list as means I can now put the floorboards back! (after a week? to harden off).

But I also then got sidetracked into a couple of not really neccessary jobs - in the aft cabin, which is still very much a work in progress, that don't really matter as I long since decided it would primarily be a walk in locker / storage area (I actually prefer the Saloon bunks).....but would be nice for the aft cabin to be at least partway done as I suspect that once filled up with stuff it will be an all day job to empty!

Tommorow is fixing one of the forehatch stays - frozen solid .....last time I had a crack at it I couldn't get the bolts undone ....I suspect that will be another 5 minute all day job!....then back into the aft cabin......

Anyway, cheers to all for the best wishes
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2012, 15:10   #17
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjou View Post
I guess things will get a bit quiet here if you cant sort out comms.....
But the peace will be..........
OK, it will be boring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
Hard to imagine DOJ being happy without wireless.
But the rest of us on the other hand....

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Anyway, cheers to all for the best wishes
Guess I had better add my sincere well wishes as well .

Great to see you are about to man up to living aboard in an unfinished project with dodgy shore access and limited internet connectively, no power (assumed) with no drive to finish anything and no real future plans and b*gger all money / income.

Hmm...sounds like the cruising life and you will so soon be living the dream
Perhaps you will be able to hook up with the goat again, find pirate girl (another crossdresser??) and the three of you can sail off into the sunset (or nip across to France?).

Oh and the best of british to you...Capt Jersey.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 03:29   #18
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Great to see you are about to man up to living aboard in an unfinished project with dodgy shore access and limited internet connectively, no power (assumed) with no drive to finish anything and no real future plans and b*gger all money / income.
That about sums it up .

Albeit as I said before - I will be cheating , my comfort is that I can go back ashore and don't need to stay on such a tight budget - but would be nice to know I can (in practice - not just theory), as would be useful to make future plans around.

Anyway, back down to the boat.....
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arc, DOJ, liveaboard, Wayluya