Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2012, 09:28   #31

Boat: OEM, proportional
Re: Going to Church

Materials? Bible.

Questions & Themes? Just start at Gen 1:1 and go through to Rev 22:21. Every theme you'll ever need is in there, and the questions won't stop. With a good concordance, such as Strong's, and a Hebrew/Greek dictionary, you can really get into word studies and meanings of names. Go for the whole counsel of God, don't let anyone limit you to their pet doctrines.
Old 05-08-2012, 00:31   #32

Boat: 45ft Ketch

I'm going +3 with Zee. 1st Christians didn't have churches or bibles,(most couldn't read) yet they reached the known world with the inspiring knowledge that you could invite Jesus into your body like food for life. With Jesus inside you take your church(temple of the HS) and the "Word of God" with you.
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 00:35   #33

Re: going to church

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
there is a catholic church here in la cruz with a huge bell to call folks to services and studies...many areas wherein catholicism is the major religion have churches that welcome everyone, doesnt matter their choice of organized religion--

christian is christian, doesnt matter the denomination. worship comes from within the soul, not from within a building.

my choice is open sea as a church--has all of the natural ingredients---not man made except the boat in which i sit for the experience.

oh poo--now i have started a riot....

LoveMyWoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 02:29   #34
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Kalik 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubyjean View Post
You know we do have a Christian sailing society right here on the CF. Just join the group, we do have a pastor within the group. We do need a lot more members to sign up. I'll try to get him to post a lesson each Sunday.
..Michael..
Just to make things easier: Cruisers & Sailing Forums - Christian Sailing Society
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 03:22   #35
Armchair Bucketeer

Am not exactly on the same page with God(s) as many on this thread - but notwithstanding that, one thing I found in my wanderings is that lots of smallscale western Christian Groups (i.e. not part of the main brands) around the world doing missionary type stuff, whether as a formal NGO or not.

I mention it as they tend to be pretty welcoming / helpful - and the same lingo does kinda help. IMO getting involved with folks who have boots on the ground already / contacts locally is very useful where turning up somewhere new (in addition to any shared hobbies).

Albeit my direct first hand knowledge is not extensive .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:41   #36
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

that video is perfect for bird----awesome !! btw--i stole it....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 12:29   #37
Boating writer, book author

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Various

After reading the posts I see that almost everyone missed my point. If you're a traveler, not a tourist, one who wants truly to understand other cultures, you take part in (or at least observe respectfully) things that are important to them. I once stumbled into a funeral on Sulawesi that involved days of mourning and so much "sacrificing" of water buffalo for the ceremonial barbecue that the paths ran with blood. As a travel experience for a cruising sailor it sure beat spending morning with the varnish brush.
Old 12-04-2015, 12:45   #38

What a topic! Churches are some of the nicest architecture ever created. Free labor certainly helped many of them but no discounting the beauty. We have spent days visiting old churches all over the world and have attended many different spiritual get together and really enjoy them especially the singing in many of the South Pacific churches. Lots of gods to choose from over the years but the churches are wonderful.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 12:49   #39
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: going to church

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
I have been told that in mexico the Churchs have secret(?) tunnels that connect the churchs together ,I witnessed(no pun intended) a group of catholics show up at every meeting going on between some converts to the protestant faith and disrupt said meetings with percision because of the tunnels..They told me that the people were devil worshippers because they were talking in tongues..It did sound a little strange ,but to each his own..I think like you about the chruch being in your heart not some gold clad building..DVC
I believe thats in keeping with the old European tradition.. but the tunnels actually led to the Nunneries..

You can't oppress a people for over 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."
Self defence is not an excuse for murder.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 13:29   #40
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2

I am not trying to be insensitive, but maybe it's worth pointing out that one of the reasons to go cruising is to experience other cultures. Isn't searching out a particular televangelist (Hagee) just a bit parochial? There are lots of different Christian churches to attend in the Caribbean and Pacific that would give you a whole different experience that just might be enlightening ... let alone the Buddhist temples and mosques of Asia.
sneuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 13:30   #41
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanetGroene View Post
Funny you mentined this because one of my habits as a professional travelwriter is to attend local churches, church suppers, festivals, bazaars. I am often alone and church is one place where a lone person will be welcome and safe. In many places church is the best and most of a hometown and you'll meet the real folks there. Just one example in relation to language difficulties. Having no car in Curacao, I asked where to find the nearest church and the woman said, "Come with me." She was wearing traditional Hindu dress so I was surprised when we ended up at a Pentecostal Christian service. She sat with the choir and, when others realized I could not understand Papiamentu, someone slipped in beside me and began translating into my ear.
Good for you!
sneuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 16:16   #42

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Ah, Papiemento (sp)
When in Bonaire, we asked for "AguaKina Coolamoochie".

Re: Churches in Mexico,
We attended an evening service in Bahia Magdelena, as only a small handful of the anchorage.
We were accompanied with a couple of chickens and an old dog.
After the service, we were asked to sing our favorite religious song.
After a bit of discussion, we sang "Mine Eyes Have Seen The Glory of the Coming of the Lord".
It was a big hit with the locals.

In the Sea of Cortez, we visited an abandoned company town on Isla Carmen, across from Puerto Escondido.
The whole town had been completely stripped of anything of value, but when we entered the church, it was absolutely untouched.
It appeared ready for a service. Light the candles and go.
The collection was still in the box.
Religion has deep roots in Mexico. Good for them !

Mae West
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 18:01   #43

Boat: 45ft Ketch
Re: going to church

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I believe thats in keeping with the old European tradition.. but the tunnels actually led to the Nunneries..
Lucky that God judges your heart and not your brain
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 23:11   #44
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: going to church

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumnMad View Post
Lucky that God judges your heart and not your brain
Yeah.. I hear he's not to keen on the Truth..

You can't oppress a people for over 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."
Self defence is not an excuse for murder.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 23:31   #45

Part of the joy of cruising is visiting the different churches. I have lost count of the denominations we have attended, some sing a lot some don't, but I have always come away feeling good, even if the language is foreign. If you want to experience the village life, attending church on Sunday opens more opportunities than staying on the boat. Wandering around the island you are met with smiles and hellos but after asking to, and attending church its like you are family.

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote