Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2011, 15:00   #16

Boat: Steel trawler 63' Eileen Farrell
Re: Good Deal for a Liveaboard Marina ?

Quote "And with economic times like they are, I would not turn away anyone with their cheque book in hand, especially with the bankruptcy rate of marinas."

Should be a great time to talk to the bank and get yourself a deal, then you can find out how much fun it is to run one.
lorenzo b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 17:34   #17

Last winter I walked by there ( Philadelphia marine center) and saw hearty souls trudging through the snow covered docks. It looked really, really cold. All the boats were huddled together in one area, and they looked very lived in. I called and they said no liveaboards, but I agree that going by and seeing them In person might be more effective. I LOVE Philly, but man it gets cold and gray. Let us know how it works out.
Old 04-08-2011, 15:10   #18
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

lulz, that list of amenities would be common for any transient marina. Someone comes in from a three-day weekend, they want a hot shower, whatever time it is. They want to wash and dry and stow the wet clothes, not take it home--which may not have a private washer if home is a city apartment.

Sometimes you're delayed by wx or you need to catch a tide, and having everything available at 1AM or 5AM is a great convenience--for transients and daytrippers.

I'd suggest walking the docks (oops, need a key card!) and asking some of the folks who look like they might live there, if the marina quietly tolerates it and if so, who to speak to.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 18:46   #19

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

I stayed in the marina 6 years ago for about a week and enjoyed it. But I was only visiting friends in Philly so was rarely on the boat. Seems the prices have skyrocketed a lot since then. If you have a car you might try Delaware, especially Delaware City.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard