Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-06-2024, 14:28   #1

Boat: Najad 400
Great Loop??

We're wondering how to best to do the Great Loop. We're a UK/Irish couple currently live aboard on a 40ft s/v in the Med. Issues are...

How do we deal with immigration issues? We have a B1/B2 visa, but haven't used it yet. Specifically, how do we get time and timing right w.r.t. permission to be in country?... bearing in mind we'll probably include a Canada leg.

What boat, how much to pay and where to buy it? We need something functional and reasonbly comfortable, not too big and a mobo rather than sail. We'd like something that's easy to sell?? What facilities should it have?

Any other insight.... much apprecited.
goeasy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2024, 03:47   #2

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge
Re: Great Loop??

You might check out the Looper's website, AGLCA.

-Chris
Old 17-06-2024, 04:13   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by goeasy123 View Post
We're wondering how to best to do the Great Loop. We're a UK/Irish couple currently live aboard on a 40ft s/v in the Med. Issues are...

How do we deal with immigration issues? We have a B1/B2 visa, but haven't used it yet. Specifically, how do we get time and timing right w.r.t. permission to be in country?... bearing in mind we'll probably include a Canada leg.

What boat, how much to pay and where to buy it? We need something functional and reasonbly comfortable, not too big and a mobo rather than sail. We'd like something that's easy to sell?? What facilities should it have?

Any other insight.... much apprecited.

Those are awfully general questions, some of them worth a whole book.

As to immigration, you can figure that out with simple math. Don't overstay; that's all. You can fly out if necessary and leave the boat.

What boat? A comfortable trawler-type motorboat would be my choice and what all the friends I have who have done the loop have used. Not too big, and preferably with a single diesel engine. Maybe 40', maximum 45', would be my choice, with good visibility from the helm. With good fuel and water tankage, and by all means, large holding tanks.

A LectraSan sewage treatment system would be extremely beneficial; I believe (check, however) that most of the Loop is not a NDZ. Be careful about sewage; unlike in Europe, rules on this are mostly strictly enforced in U.S. waters.

I love to sail but there isn't that much sailing on that route, and there are mast height constraints.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2024, 04:47   #4

Location: Florida, Off the Caloosahatchee Canal for the Summer
Boat: Beebe Passagemaker 50'

Most people start the great loop from Florida. This makes sense as they begin the trip as the weather starts to warm up in the Spring and basically follow the temperature, heading North, counter-clockwise up the East Coast of the United States.

It makes sense from another perspective as well, which you mentioned. Florida is a great place to SELL your boat, and having just completed the Great Loop, in my opinion is good selling point.
That brings me back to the start. Florida may also be a great place to BUY your boat, especially one that has just completed the loop. Indeed, it is already a Veteran looper, and possibly still knows the way!
BlueH2Obound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2024, 06:48   #5
KTP

I think people do, or attempt to do the loop in all varieties of boats. We are planning to try it in a 17 foot sailboat, rigged for electric propulsion with about 80 miles of range at 4kts. It is very easy to take the mast down on this boat (5 min) so not worried about the Chicago bridges and such.

We are going to do it in segments though, over a period of a few years, which might not be an option for you if you need a visa.
KTP is offline   Reply With Quote