Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2017, 04:50   #16

Boat: building catamaran 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to slegg
Re: guns and sailing

Thanks, Gord.
slegg is offline   Reply
Old 03-08-2017, 04:59   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by slegg View Post
Thanks, Cook.

Where I came from, 86% of the people is pro guns. Itīs a fact of life, you live with then or became a sheep and then if you live or donīt is in other hands.
Which is why I accept that it may be difficult for you to accept that you really don't need them in Europe. If I say that British Police do not routinely carry fire arms and that German, French and Italian Police only a side arm which realistically is more for show. Hand guns pretty much banned in the UK.

Remember Europe has suffered a number of lone wolf or small group attacks over the last decade by fanatics. Guns are therefore eyed with deep suspicion and at the very least removed from you on arrival and not returned until you depart. In which case whats the point in having them.

So leave them at home and have a safe, enjoyable and friendly time in Europe

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply
Old 03-08-2017, 05:05   #18

Boat: building catamaran 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to slegg

Thank you, Pete7. My state in Brasil was settled by germans, french, italians polish, portuguese, spanish and many other nationalities, most of then from Europe.
slegg is offline   Reply
Old 03-08-2017, 06:09   #19

Boat: Camano Troll

You may also find yourself in deep trouble if you actually use your gun in a foreign country and injure or kill someone. What if he was just trying to borrow gas or food, not trying to harm or rob you and you shoot him because of a language misunderstanding?

Even if he was trying to rob you, how will you prove that?

In some states in the USA, you cannot shoot a robber, your duty is to try to get away.

Again, if you think you need a gun to go somewhere, don't go there.
Old 03-08-2017, 06:18   #20
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Thanks, Cook.

Where I came from, 86% of the people is pro guns. Itīs a fact of life, you live with then or became a sheep and then if you live or donīt is in other hands.
If & when you do get cruising it should come as a pleasant surprise that most of the world isn't like that, you just don't need firearms, which is lucky given the legal restrictions of most countries on importing firearms.

And when I was cruising in Brazil (which was great fun!) I didn't feel the need for anything either, most of our opinions on the "real world" come from cultural conditioning as kids, had I grown up in parts of the States or Brazil my outlook would no doubt be different.
conachair is offline   Reply
Old 03-08-2017, 06:20   #21

Boat: Leopard 39

Quote:
Thanks, Cook.

I understand completely. We in America have a second amendment to our Constitution, recognizing that the private ownership of firearms is a right, not only for self-defense, but as a deterrent to government tyranny. I have a concealed carry permit. That said, the nations you'll visit will ask you as part of clearing in if you have any firearms aboard. If you lie and are found out, you could have your vessel confiscated and be looking at a very lengthy jail sentence. If you are truthful, your weapon(s) will be confiscated until you leave, and perhaps forever, depending upon where you are and the autonomy and corruption of the "officials" there. What good will confiscated weapons do you during your stay? Go to Noonsite, and be aware of what places are really dangerous, and avoid them. IMHO, having weapons aboard is simply not worth the hassle, and if you shoot someone for stealing your dinghy or outboard in a foreign country, you might never see home again. Always remember that when you travel to the countries of others, you are an ambassador of good will for YOUR country.
danielamartindm is offline   Reply
Old 03-08-2017, 08:28   #22

You are not allowed to carry guns in Europe, if you declare it, it will be confiscated and in best world scenario it will be returned to you on departure.

If you would use it, even in self defense, you are looking for some considerable jail time.

Leave it at home and enjoy a trouble free stay in Europe.
SnakeEyes is offline   Reply
Old 03-08-2017, 08:54   #23
cruiser

We always carry guns in the US because we can. But here in the Adriatic, you won't need one, plus it would be way too much trouble. Italy allows guns, but it would be too much trouble to import as a tourist.

You can pick up one of those short spear guns almost anywhere over here if you feel that you need some protection. Tomahawks and knives are also easily purchased everywhere.
Kenomac is offline   Reply
Old 03-08-2017, 09:10   #24
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: guns and sailing

Basically its the same law as when someone sails into Brazil with a weapon.. it will be confiscated if not declared and/or an exemption applied for before arrival.

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply
Old 03-08-2017, 14:38   #25

Boat: Alubat, OVNI 47

A patently ridiculous opinion! Yet expected considering the source. If you are afraid of the world, stay home.
Old 03-08-2017, 15:03   #26

Boat: Catalina 36 MKI

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Sorry but you a completely wrong somewhat mistaken ...

You need a smaller Rocna so you can have it with you at all times.. even when going ashore. Doesn't half give them a fright when they pull a knife and you pull out your Rocna.....
I prefer a Bruce. That way when I get into trouble I just call him and step back
De.windhoos is offline   Reply
Old 03-08-2017, 16:44   #27

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by De.windhoos View Post
I prefer a Bruce. That way when I get into trouble I just call him and step back
But with a small enough Rocna, you can Chuck it at the attacker.
StuM is offline   Reply
Old 03-08-2017, 16:50   #28

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
But with a small enough Rocna, you can Chuck it at the attacker. [emoji2]
But if you carry an oversized (any anchor) around with you all day every day, It won't take long for you to be big enough that nobody will mess with you.;-)
chris mac is offline   Reply
Old 03-08-2017, 17:04   #29

Boat: valiant 40

Sir Francis Chichester took a royal navy frigate with him on his lap and he had no problems with pirates or vagabonds. I wonder if customs asked "are you pleased to see us or is that a frigate in your pocket"
Old 03-08-2017, 19:26   #30

Boat: Island Packet 349

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielamartindm View Post
We in America have a second amendment to our Constitution, recognizing that the private ownership of firearms is a right, not only for self-defense, but as a deterrent to government tyranny. I have a concealed carry permit.
Still not clear to me, why do you need a permit to exercise your constitutional right?
Lost Horizons is offline   Reply
Closed Thread

Tags
Guns, sail, sailing