Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-03-2009, 17:32   #16

We use small flat mirror mounting plates (normally one middle of the top of the frame and one middle of each side) but these do have the disadvantage of leaving screw holes if removed - we have painted bulkheads so easily repaired whereas varnished/oiled bulheads that is not so. I can't find a picture of them but they are just a flat plate with normally two holes which screw into the back of the picture frame and a tab overlapping out from behind the frame which one puts a screw through into the wall/bulkhead so are 100% secure.

svHyLyte mentions the risk of glass if used. Picture framers close to the commercial part of a port at least should be all set up to replace the glass with a rigid art quality rigid plastic sheet that serves the same purpose. I don't know what the plastic is but it is clear like glass (plastics of the normal kind, including "normal" acrylic, introduce a colour cast). It also reduces the weight to be hung.

Years ago when I first went into such a picture framer all prepared to explain what I wanted in that line he cut me short with "I know exactly what you want, we do it all the time for the ships and boats in the port" and it proved to be so .
MidLandOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2009, 17:39   #17

Boat: Monk 36 Trawler
Mark's suggestion of rmovable, adhesive backed velcro stips made for that purpose! We use them all the time on walls or horizontal surfaces to hold things in place.
stevensc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2009, 08:25   #18

Location: West Indies, Now live aboard as cruiser/ voyager often with guest/ friends
Boat: 36' Bene
Send a message via ICQ to Reality Check
Avoid putting in wood screws or other wall destroying items unless your plans are to do like the Vikings and be burned with your boat when you die. It will destroy a lot of value when/ if you ever want or need to sale your boat.

However I am aware we typically do what ever the heck we want to on our boats, but you really do need to understand what the down side will be and act reasonably.
Old 17-03-2009, 11:42   #19
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

I love Velcro, but it is flat out WRONG for this job. It can and will fail after it has been heated up on hot summer days. Even the best of it. Unless your boat stays in cool climes and you use lots of premium stuff--you'll find the picture on the floor in a couple of years.

3M does make an industrial velcro for use in hot places (like toll transponders on auto windshields) but even their best can fail if the boat is closed up and heats up. And you won't find the stuff on retail shelves, I had to beg some directly from 3M.

So far I've only used the 3M Command Adhesive strips for a year or so, but I'm very impressed by them. Applies to tile (recommended) or over wallpaper (expressly against the instruction) with heavy loads, they seem to work very nicely, and come off clean. On a wood bulkhead my only question would be that the surface needs to be non-porous for them to stick properly.

I'd vote for the mirror hardware, which is going to leave small holes in the bulkhead, but is going to work for sure. I'd try the command strips IF the bulkhead was nice and smooth, and neither the art nor anything under it would be damaged if it released.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2009, 11:57   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
There is industrial grade Velcro you can buy from places like McMaster-Carr. It is extra wide and has some really strong adhesive.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2009, 13:11   #21

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
I've got a hang up

FWIW,

Faced with the same problem, and wanting to minimize the number of holes to be drilled in the bulkhead, we simply used two appropriately sized woodscrews coming from the "back" side of the bulkhead and going into the photo's timber frame. The "back" side was in the head compartment, behind hanging towels, and so the heads of the screws were not a problem for us.

This solution seems structurally sound, costs nearly nothing, and does minimal damage to the boat.

Adhesive backed velcro or other attachments will likely slowly creep during hot wx, eventually failing as others have said above. I suspect that any adhesive that was man enough to last would do more damage upon removal than a few tiny screw holes which are not hard to repair.

Anyhow, I hope that you find an acceptable soulution for your application.

Cheers,
Old 17-03-2009, 13:26   #22
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

David, if it is "genuine" Velcro (R) the product was made by 3M. And 3M are the folks who say it can and will fail in the heat, even the industrial grades. They just don't have a "desert noon structural" grade of it. Yet.

Once we stacked a mini-stereo set with 5-6" squares of heavy duty Velcro. ROFL, couldn't pull them back apart again without a prybar! But not on a hot bulkhead.
Old 17-03-2009, 14:44   #23
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
It is the 3M command strip. I couldnt remember the words when I was writing the post... I was prolly drunkish....

I had to take this artistic photo of Nicolle's off the wall to show you..... Now I don't know which way is UP!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP9029.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	7459  

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2009, 04:35   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
It is the 3M command strip. I couldnt remember the words when I was writing the post... I was prolly drunkish....

I had to take this artistic photo of Nicolle's off the wall to show you..... Now I don't know which way is UP!
Your pictures are correctly oriented, showing the release tab at the bottom.

Select Picture Hanging Strips
Instructions

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2009, 08:29   #25
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

A Command Strip with Velcro on it! Cool, I haven't run into those yet.
Old 18-03-2009, 13:50   #26
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Your pictures are correctly oriented, showing the release tab at the bottom.
Gord, that was a joke about Modern Art.
The gag is taken from a very famous Australian play of the early 1970's called Don's Party.

I notice Modern Art is still as bad 40 years later!!!!!!!

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2009, 23:36   #27

Boat: Hans Christian 36'
Well we finally got the picture hung. We used the Safe Hold Picture Hooks from Delta Products. I was suprised at how easy they were to install. Quick and simple. We took the time to replace the glass in the frame with plexiglass at Michael's before we hung it. Not too shabby. I'm really happy with the results!

Red Charlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2009, 00:06   #28

I'm with MarkJ. I've been using heavy duty velcro forever!! Works great and easy to move around if you change your mind!! Good luck with your venture!!
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2009, 00:25   #29

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Another vote for velcro. You can exactly adjust the holding force you want with the area of the velcro. The picture won't swing around and abrade the bulkhead at sea, like it will with any picture hooks, no matter how secure. And in heavy weather you can take the picture down and stow it somewhere safe, which you can't do if the picture is screwed to the bulkhead. It's the ideal solution.
Dockhead is online now   Reply With Quote