Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-07-2012, 16:25   #106
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Re: Harbor Nazis

Godwin's law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Law of averages - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Meh. It was inevitable.

Old 04-07-2012, 16:28   #107

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingway View Post
Ah but from the outset????
Gary Godwin would turn over in his grave...
Old 04-07-2012, 16:36   #108
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
It is amusing that there are always the vocal few that complain vociferously but in reality never leave and never go through the established processes to make change.

They use the internet without considering that it is an organized society that creates an internet. They pick rules that they and other should follow but complain about rules that dont suit them.

Get off the grid. Move to Somalia, send a post card...
Old 04-07-2012, 16:42   #109

Boat: Tartan 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
It is amusing that there are always the vocal few that complain vociferously but in reality never leave and never go through the established processes to make change.

They use the internet without considering that it is an organized society that creates an internet. They pick rules that they and other should follow but complain about rules that dont suit them.

Get off the grid. Move to Somalia, send a post card...
Sending a post card would require the use of a publicly funded government resource

send a txt msg instead

PS: good luck finding a Somalia air-card for your iphone.
Old 04-07-2012, 16:55   #110

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,

In a crew-overboard emergency throwing anything that floats overboard is far better than nothing, and leaving a trail of floating objects can help the remaining crew navigate back to the person overboard. But, a rectangular cushion can be thrown much further and more accurately than a life preserver. And, struggling or cold swimmers very quickly lose fine muscle control and it's much easier for them to get their arms through a couple of large straps than to try to fumble with life jacket fasteners in a survival situation.

Backyard demonstration, distance about 60'/20m with crew overboard represented by cap and t-shirt by bow of "capsized" Sunfish. The fenders were nice and new without lines and slime attached, by the way.

From left foreground, child's life vest, three type II life vests, USCG-approved "float coat", ice chest, two medium and one small fender, two USCG-approved buoyant cushions.
Old 04-07-2012, 17:22   #111

Boat: Gozzard 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey
I am guessing by the spelling that Harbor Nazis not related to Grammer Nazis.

FWIW, over here we actually had Harbour Nazis! - they deported folks (including me Grandad) to places some of them never came back from (albeit me Grandad did - he only dissapeared after the war - followed by Special Branch).......and I don't take offence at the term, IMO pretty descriptive of a mindset, even if "only following orders".
Perhaps we could replace Nazis with KGB, fewer painful memories brought up and almost zero chance of spelling it wrong!
Old 04-07-2012, 18:35   #112
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

None of those second ones around at the moment then DOJ.

Coops.
Old 04-07-2012, 18:40   #113

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

[QUOTE=skyking1984;983375]The other half of of you seem to be pompous, condescending elitist snobs with some law enforcement types included, who I avoid associating with in any conditions.I thank you all for helping me with my decision Hey...problem solved...Thanx
- if THAT'S the way it is - being snuck is anyone out there interested in a sailboat project? - 35' fiberglass hull - new Volvo Penta, new sails. been flooded, needs bulkhead, cabin sole work, etc. Some new parts already made - mahogany hatch covers, etc. On a cradle in South Bend, In. Ahhh...another gem. The line forms to the right...no pushing please![/QUOTE]

Now I will take my pompous condescending arse. Plop it on my snobby little ship and celebrate my freedom afforded to me by the countless citizens of the US. Please stay in touch and tell us how that cabin in the woods works for ya!
Attached Images
File Type: bmp Cry Baby.bmp (330.8 KB, 43 views)
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 04-07-2012, 18:44   #114

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by youmeandthed View Post
Celestialsailor

I never said Canada had less red tape. I too left, now I'm living in Panama for a while while I cruise. But we do have less law enforcement, and it is safer. Did you know that Costa Rica is the safest central american country and it is unconstitutional to have a military. Lots of Ex-Pats who made their money in the states are fleeing to this safe haven to retire after making their money in the US. No point paying back into a system that doesn't work right?

Yeah, it is amazing what the coast guard does, I don't know how the world of shipping could have operated for the past 500 years without them.
Sorry if I came off a little condescending. Obviously the OP had me pegged. As far as Canada having less law enforcement and is safer, I will point out that the population in Canada is equal to that of California. So of course it seems less. Fair winds in Panama
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 04-07-2012, 18:54   #115
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
[

Now I will take my pompous condescending arse. Plop it on my snobby little ship and celebrate my freedom afforded to me by the countless citizens of the US. Please stay in touch and tell us how that cabin in the woods works for ya!

Coops.
Old 04-07-2012, 20:02   #116

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoon4us View Post
I would think life on the road in a motorhome in the USA would bring many many more intrusions/visits/flashlights etc from the world of officialdom would it not???
Actually this is not the case. A motor home is covered under the US constitution. It actually requires a search warrant if the police want to search it. The only exception is that the border patrol can search it within 150 miles of an international border, but the locals cannot. Unfortunately this is not true of boats. This law on this originated at a time when there was pretty much no such thing as recreational boating and all boats were engaged in commerce. At that time all boats were powered by sail and had virtually no communication with a court or land based officials. Unfortunately nothing in this area of the law has been updated and the court rulings that were made in the late 1700s are still applied which is convenient for law enforcement but not for law abiding recreational/cruising boaters.

Comparing Law enforcement personnel to the Nazis may be a bit unfair, but the Nazis did not start with the holocaust, they started with a police state and when the state gets too much power over the citizenry it's a slippery slope. While in the US Law enforcement hasn't gotten to where the Nazis ended up it is on the path that they started on. Even the Nazis did not require a strip search to use public transportation.

I have LE persons in my family and it is clear to me people go into this field for many different reasons. Many people do want to protect and serve, but a significant number are simply in it for the power and they are the ones that scare me. If you run into the former on any given day you'll have a pleasant experience, but if you run into the later, well it sucks to be you. The other thing to remember is that "inspecting" generally law abiding citizens is a fairly easy and safe thing to do. Actually going out and catching actual criminals who are committing violent acts, stealing property, and participating in what most of us think of as criminal activity is actually difficult and dangerous. Surely we are being "inspected" so often because all of the actual criminals are already locked up and we have no violent or property crime left in America. One thing to remember is if an actual property crime occurs that the police will take a report so that you can be paid by your insurance company, but it is very unlikely that any actual effort will be made to apprehend the criminals, but if the cop walks by your boat and the sticker is out of date while taking the report you can be sure of the ticket and fine.
Old 04-07-2012, 20:33   #117

Boat: Lagoon 440

I think when any group are empowered with personnel and equipment the natural set of men usually dictates they want to use those tools otherwise they are ineffectual. I have seen here in Australia the creation of "incidents" by the looney fringe to feed the group work, sadly the bean counters also require justification of actions to gain a budget for next year, usually larger.

No doubt your boating groups/industry groups/ tourist entities have all protested however they probably are fended off with the 911 experience. Governments can only control if people are in fear, is the great unwashed majority in your country in fear?

I would have thought that drugs were the big concern but i find it hard to understand you have USCG doing inspections of waste holding systems? It must be demeaning to them or are they highly skilled plumbers??

Here in Australia the Fisheries Inspectors have many more rights than the Police, they can enter any premises and search your freezer for illicit quantities of fish, no warrant required. Truth is it rarely happens although its a recent law it's certainly draconian to the average Joe's view.

Motorhomes here are treated as motor vehicles probable cause allows any search roadside, i think on private property they would need a warrant listing the vehicle along with sheds etc etc.

All things said there are a lot of people out there that do need protecting ie money allows anyone to buy a boat and head out.
Self preservation normally tends to make a person require skills to survive however there's some dumbshits out there that expect assistance for everything maybe it's that also that has bought this policing in?

Cheers
Old 05-07-2012, 01:13   #118

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Sorry if I came off a little condescending. Obviously the OP had me pegged. As far as Canada having less law enforcement and is safer, I will point out that the population in Canada is equal to that of California. So of course it seems less. Fair winds in Panama
Not only less enforcement, different too...
Old 05-07-2012, 01:13   #119
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoon4us View Post
All things said there are a lot of people out there that do need protecting ie money allows anyone to buy a boat and head out.

Self preservation normally tends to make a person require skills to survive however there's some dumbshits out there that expect assistance for everything maybe it's that also that has bought this policing in?
To be honest I am quite happy for dumbshits to experiance the full consequences of being dumbshits . Certainly I have no problem with resources being spent on them being rescued, but same as for me I would not expect someone else (professional or amateur) to take life threatening risks to themselves to save anyone. For professionals IMO they do have to accept (as simply a part of the job) that their will always be risk, but that should be perfectly manageable, either by being willing not to take dumbshit risks themselves or simply by getting another job.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:53   #120

Thanks, bobconnie, I'd love to just stay out - forever - fish for food, etc., but what about storms? And when I run out of food & water? Gotta come in and fall under the power of the harbor nazis.
Closed Thread