Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2022, 04:07   #1

Boat: Trader 41 12.5m
HELP! Choice of Partial Liveaboard motor yacht in the Med

Wife and I have been partially cruising in the Med since 2001, 7 years in a Gib Sea 372, followed until present by our 1990 Moody 425. Last time out, Aug '21, I let the engine overheat to the extent of getting a crack in the block. Just today we have had a 1995 version of the original Thornycroft 110 (Ford 1.8L XLD) marinised with the original parts installed, just now waiting patiently for the engine electrician.

However, upon the engine failure and after 20 hrs of sailing at 2 Kts to the nearest good facilities location, Licata and Marina di Calle del Sole, we had no trouble in coming to the unanimous decision, NMW (No More Winching!). So Ipapadi II is for sale (if someone interested please come through us instead of the broker as I can have a 1% reduction on the 7% brokers commision if I introduce the buyer) and we are looking for a motor yacht to continue our way of life as partial liveaboards.

Can anyone comment on the suitability of the various used motor yachts on the market to our partial Med life style which is more about living than cruising, the extent of our cruising lately has been coastal hopping to a new location/country during Aug/Sept.

Should we be looking at the Broom 42 (could only look at prices up to 1990), Elling E3 (almost/maybe is out of budget range), Princess 42? Are the Crianchi 42s, Atlantis 42s and Fairline Targa types to much daytime types or too sporty for mid seventy liveaboards?

Advice greatly appreciated.

HELP!HELP! Choice of Partial Liveaboard motor yacht in the Med
Wife and I have been partially cruising in the Med since 2001, 7 years in a Gib Sea 372, followed until present by our 1990 Moody 425. Last time out, Aug '21, I let the engine overheat to the extent of getting a crack in the block. Just today we have had a 1995 version of the original Thornycroft 110 (Ford 1.8L XLD) marinised with the original parts installed, just now waiting patiently for the engine electrician.

However, upon the engine failure and after 20 hrs of sailing at 2 Kts to the nearest good facilities location, Licata and Marina di Calle del Sole, we had no trouble in coming to the unanimous decision, NMW (No More Winching!). So Ipapadi II is for sale (if someone interested please come through us instead of the broker as I can have a 1% reduction on the 7% brokers commision if I introduce the buyer) and we are looking for a motor yacht to continue our way of life as partial liveaboards.

Can anyone comment on the suitability of the various used motor yachts on the market to our partial Med life style which is more about living than cruising, the extent of our cruising lately has been coastal hopping to a new location/country during Aug/Sept.

Should we be looking at the Broom 42 (could only look at prices up to 1990), Elling E3 (almost/maybe is out of budget range), Princess 42? Are the Crianchi 42s, Atlantis 42s and Fairline Targa types to much daytime types or too sporty for mid seventy liveaboards?

Advice greatly appreciated.

HELP!
Ipapadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 05:08   #2

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge
Re: HELP! Choice of Partial Liveaboard motor yacht in the Med

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ipapadi View Post

Can't speak to those brands or specific models, but the idea of living aboard on a motoryacht isn't out of the question. You'd just have to match accommodation offered to your requirements. Much of that would be about living space (staterooms and heads versus people, etc.).

The boats themselves (excepting maybe the Elling) will likely handle only moderate sea states, so you might find yourselves doing more weather planning than before... but that's not necessarily a huge obstacle.

You absolutely can NOT/NOT scrimp on engine maintenance, and you can NOT/NOT allow situations where "you let the engine overheat."

-Chris
Old 09-04-2022, 05:22   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

It sounds like you are describing a trawler. The next question becomes seaworthiness, since a 40' trawler has nowhere near the seaworthiness of a 40' monohull sailboat. I built my trawler in large part because I couldn't find a boat that I could afford that met my seaworthiness standard. But, in the Med you can plan around weather pretty well, with ports fairly close together. Take a look at the 40' or so class and see if it meets your needs.
Old 09-04-2022, 06:56   #4

Boat: Trader 41 12.5m

Thanks to both responses so far, for your advice and taking the time to do so.
Ipapadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 08:32   #5

I sail the East Coast U.S. but have been thinking of getting a liveaboard barge for the Med, something like a Penichette. They are designed for canals, but seem like they would make comfortable liveaboards and be okay for day-hopping along a coast in good weather. Anyone ever tried this? Might work for OP too.
Danm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 17:04   #6

I would be looking at a displacement trawler yacht as the accommodation is way better for living aboard. Grand Banks type etc.
Stewie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 19:37   #7

An important point here is that you will probably want to maintain your links to the sailing fraternity rather than joining the gin palace crowd - this narrows down your choices somewhat.

FWIW I personally feel that a trawler type catamaran would fit your requirements quite well. While this is an uncommon category, if you sniff around there are some interesting second hand models to be found (often one-offs and hence priced below true value) especially on French sites.

We looked into this and eventually decided to spend a somewhat greater amount on a new build - in our case the first Broadblue 346 to be commissioned without a mast and rigging, similar to the Florida built Endeavour cats which evolved from sailing cat predecessors.

Wishing you every success in your scouting,
Kai & Jaci Rabenstein
Ifitsworthdoing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 19:48   #8

In the Med I would look for a Menorquin (the newer models now sell under the name Sasga yachts) - they are derived from Balearic fishing boats and have always been CE class A (Blue water) rated. Classic, classy and comfortable.
Ifitsworthdoing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 22:58   #9

Boat: Swanson 36 in Australia Bavaria 42 in Med

Lateral thinking......stick with a yacht and just motor around! Much more availability.
patprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 07:57   #10
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ifitsworthdoing View Post
In the Med I would look for a Menorquin (the newer models now sell under the name Sasga yachts) - they are derived from Balearic fishing boats and have always been CE class A (Blue water) rated. Classic, classy and comfortable.

Beautiful menorguin for sale in Lefkada Greece. See broker NYB lefkas for details.
Old 10-04-2022, 08:25   #11
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: HELP! Choice of Partial Liveaboard motor yacht in the Med

Here's a nice one in Torrevieja Spain...
https://www.boats24.com/motorboat/mo...lvo-motor.html

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard, motor, yacht