Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-06-2017, 14:12   #1

Boat: Ingrid 38
Help me understand my boat's name - norwegian

She's a 1967 built wooden hull Ingrid 38. Her name is Pelin, which I am told is Norwegian and is derived from the word for arrow (Pil). This from the seller, who was the 2nd owner and not the namer of the boat. Any Norwegian speakers here who can confirm this, and shed some light on how to pronounce it? The seller was a Canuck, he pronounced it like "peelin". We just say it with a short e, like "pehlin" (rhymes with yellin').
babaluey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2017, 14:41   #2

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora
Re: Help me understand my boat's name - norwegian

Do not speak norsk so cannot translate. Ingrids do attract unusual names though. Mine is named Idora, it suits her. I would think "Arrow" is a good name for an Ingrid especially on a broad reach
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2017, 15:04   #3

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

yes, Norwegian nominative definite singular of Pil, which comes from Norse Píll. Pronunciation is peel-en (en as in entrance).
Ásta
Old 28-06-2017, 16:06   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Not a Norwegian speaker but:

Google translate doesn't recognise "pelin" as Norwegian.
https://translate.google.com/#no/en/pelin

When asked to detect language, it guessed at Finnish, and translated it as "the game"
https://translate.google.com/#auto/en/pelin

(It show "peli" as just "game" without the "the".)
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2017, 17:25   #5

Thanks for the replies all, I really appreciate the input. Astrid thanks for the confirmation and pronunciation help. Stu, yeah, I'd tried google translate and came up empty. It's pretty smart but doesn't know all the derivatives of words and idiomatic things - for those you still need a real person who speaks the language. Machines haven't completely made us obsolete yet!
Old 28-06-2017, 17:29   #6

Hey Idora, I see you are in Port Ludlow. Our boat is in Port Townsend while we finish up re-rigging. Should have her sailing pretty soon, then will bring her down to Olympia where we live. Might see you around - we'll be watching for Ingrids.
Old 29-06-2017, 09:37   #7

Boat: DownEaster 38

My Norwegian wife cannot come up with any better explanation than the "Pilen/Pelen" theory. I speak Norsk reasonably well and have good dictionaries which don't reveal anything for "pelen". So I'd stick with "The Arrow" interpretation. Hope she lives up to her name!
bobmcd625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2017, 11:22   #8

As a Norwegian I would say the name "Pelin" could be a misspelling of "Pilen", a misplacement of the e and i. "Pilen" means "The Arrow".
Groathill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2017, 11:54   #9

No doubt that the spelling in the original message is backasswards. For whatever reason.

Astid - having descended from a bucha left-over Norwegians :-) - has it right. The name is "Pilen" which was quite a common name for boats in days of yore. It translates as "Arrow" which was also a common boat name in Northumbria, Northumbria having been known until recent times as "the Danelaw" - the place where Danish law obtains, i.e. the law of King Canute, he who pretended to be trying to stop the waves.

If the spelling on your transom is "Pelin", I'd suggest that you change to "Pilen" lest you be met with either incomprehension of guffaws from the Scowegian contingent.

TrentePied (Former Danish Person)

PS Norwegian is but a corrupted dialect of Danish ;-)
TrentePieds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2017, 13:02   #10

I have some Ingrid posters of Molly Brown ( I think she was called that) plus a model of the bare hull. I think it's one inch to the foot. Plus a wood panel with name plate and lines drawing. One set of plans.Looking to sell all.
normdeeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2017, 14:22   #11

Wow I'm glad I asked - hmm, or not, as now we have to make a decision - leave it as is or change it. Does correcting the spelling qualify as a renaming of the boat, complete with all the attached ritual? Or maybe we should just translate it to English and call her "Arrow". Aaagh! Another boat decision to make!
Old 29-06-2017, 15:40   #12

Boat: Pearson 34-II

"PS Norwegian is but a corrupted dialect of Danish ;-)" TrientePieds

T,
Sorry to disappoint all you Danes, but all the Norsk languages(Swedish, Norweigan, Danish, Icelandic) are a derivation of West Germanic languages. If you have studied the History of Europe, you will know that the entire European continent(with the exception of the Mediterranean Basin) evolved from Central Europe from 20 to 30 Germanic tribes that quickly spread throughout the continent and then North to Scandinavia: the English:Anglo-Saxons; the French: the Franks; the Prussians:Eastern Europe and of course those wonderful quarrelers and storytellers-the Vikings whose seafaring abilities in the 10th Century AD took their sturdy Knarrs to North America and beyond in remarkable feats of navigation without, unbelievably, the use of electronic speed logs or windspeed instruments(sorry, I couldn"t help it!). One of the Roman's great senators and historians, Tacitus, who lived during the 1st Century A.D. wrote an excellent history of those who lived to the North Of Rome entitled "Germania"--and his personal observations of the Germanic people and the reports he codified from travelers to the North is one of the great histories of Western Civilization. Norweigan is but a corrupted dialogue of the Danish?. . . Das ist sicher nicht wahr! (This is certainly not true!) Captain Rognvald--lost in the 21st Century
Old 29-06-2017, 16:29   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by babaluey View Post
Hey Idora, I see you are in Port Ludlow. Our boat is in Port Townsend while we finish up re-rigging. Should have her sailing pretty soon, then will bring her down to Olympia where we live. Might see you around - we'll be watching for Ingrids.
Oh my, Idora was in the yard for six months getting some rot excised. You have my profound sympathy. In my case the work went well but there was no cruising last summer. Much better now..we will be leaving, heading north soon after the 4th. A couple days work to due, load in and go.

We will watch for you
Old 29-06-2017, 16:41   #14

Would add that Atkin drew his Ingrid inspiration from Norwegian rescue boats. Just a smaller version with more "fine"ness for better windward performance. A Norwegian name is an excellent idea.
Old 29-06-2017, 19:05   #15
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groathill View Post
As a Norwegian I would say the name "Pelin" could be a misspelling of "Pilen", a misplacement of the e and i. "Pilen" means "The Arrow".
Yup, it has to be "Pilen". Pelin has no meaning in Norwegian. I was born and raised over there and and still speak the language although I emigrated to the colonies 30 years ago: Sunshine and palmtrees here, but nobody knows how to boil potatoes.

Tags
boat