Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-09-2012, 09:45   #1

Boat: Lagoon, 38
Home Schooling ( High School)

Hi all , have not posted much , I finally closed the deal on my new 38 foot Lagoon , and have to go pick it up, I am ready to start cruising full time with my daughter who is in the 9th grade here in texas, She and I have made an agreement that we will try this together for the first year, and if she doesnt like it that boarding school or a liveaboard community would be an option, but in researching home schools on the internet, there is a lot of options, too many! So I wanted to reach out and see if anyone has found a GREAT High School, home schooling program, I am leaning towards Keystone, but would appreciate any feed back.. Thank all in advance!
RockBottomCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2012, 10:00   #2

Boat: Nassau 42 SV Ceol Mor
Re: Home Schooling ( High School)

Where are you planning on cruising? Is your child on grade level, below or way above? What areas is she talented in- math? Liberal rts? What are her plans for after high school? College? University? First tier school or second?

I have so many friends who have homeschooled/boat schooled their kids. It would really help if you could describe your daughters academic strengths and weaknesses before I just give you a list you could pull up yourself with Google.
Mimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2012, 10:14   #3

Thank you for your reply... My daughter is in 9th grade, High School hear in Texas, we are planning just the Caribbean for now but who knows.. She is not particularly an academic student , she just kinda does the work , been like that most of her life.. Not too interested in anything but boys, haha,, Hence I like the boat Idea!!!
Old 20-09-2012, 10:20   #4

Are you still in Kemah, it would be great to Bring my daughter down and maybe you could , tell her how great sailing is >>>>>
Old 20-09-2012, 10:33   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin

Is this a "Kemah Only" thread?
Just wondering

Waterford Harbor Marina and Blue Dolphin Marina here.

I no longer have children of school age, however, this will be an interesting thread and an eye-opener for me. Hope you get a good response.
Tony B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2012, 10:33   #6
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'

Here is what you need:Texas Virtual Academy | Texas Virtual Academy
My son was enrolled in a similar school in Hawaii. It is a charter school (free), all of the coursework is online. Technically the student is supposed to show up at the "learning center" once a week but I am sure there is a way around that. At the end of his sophomore year he took his GED (passed). And that was the end of school for him. He did miss out on all the social aspects of high school though. He is now logging sea time and wants to get his captain's license.
Thumbs Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2012, 10:34   #7

In that case you might check out Connections This will only work if you are going to keep a property in Texas. If you aren't keeping a taxable property, it won't work but if you are, its free.

I have 3 different friends that used K-12 up through 10th grade and were happy with it.

I have had several friends whose kids did well with Keystone. Out of 4 kids who did the correspondence, all 4 are now in college.

If your kid is self directed, you can always buy a complete curriculum here : Home School Super Center. Just make sure you are looking at the secular list of books unless you WANT a Fundamental Christian education complete with evolution is a lie and man used to hang out with dinosaurs.

We are planning on building our how curriculum. Not for every one, but our older kid is academically very capable, she just needs to have things tailored to her strengths.
Old 20-09-2012, 10:38   #8

We are in Kemah some of the time. More after Oct. when the back to school madness in the city slows down a bit. Our 12 year old runs hot and cold on the idea of cruising but I'm sure she would love to meet your daughter and they could commiserate. (My girl talks about how it will be just awful until we go out on the boat then she is all "I LOVE sailing! I LOVE cruising! I want to do this forever!!" I think it helps to be around/chat with other cruising kids of all ages so they can be reassured that they will still ahve friends and no, its not that weird.

We are heading out in Nov. 2013. We know we will hit the Bahamas for a month or two but after that we are unsure. Sooo many options.
Old 20-09-2012, 11:23   #9

Mimsy , thanks , I think I am just gonna go with Keystone... it seems to be the best for what were doing, Don't really want to have to come back to Texas every year to take a test...
Old 20-09-2012, 18:28   #10

Boat: Custom Finch 46 - Airielle

I wanted to share our temporary solution, because we will likely have the boys in regular school starting in January. Since we are moving aboard mid-semester, we are joining the Basehor Linwood Virtual School. This is our school district in Kansas and our boys will have the same teachers that they already know. How cool is that!

Our plan is to finish this semester virtually. We still havent decided on a particular town or marina yet anyway. It will be fun to see if the boys like the virtual school so much that they want to continue in January. I'll give a report.

Mimsy, thank you for all the great information you provide on home school options.
swabbmob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
school