Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-10-2013, 15:27   #31

Boat: PDQ 32 DogHouse
I know at least one FLVS teacher residing in San Juan PR.
Students will need to be present at the beginning of the year and possibly for some tests. Plan home trips around this and there shouldn't be any problem.
amytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2013, 17:16   #32

I am a multiple-licensed teacher that will be boat schooling next year. Does that count?
Old 20-10-2013, 17:53   #33
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat
Re: Homeschooling on a boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBLittle View Post
Children are residents of the state that their parents are residents of. My point was that FL has no physical residency requirements so a parents could be a resident of Florida and live anywhere and their child gets the same courtesies.

I'm still not sure what you're so belligerent about.
If you look at the virtual school requirements you will see what I mean, I'm not actually looking to get personal but I believe the Clay county school board will need to look into students "residing" at 411 walnut street. You attend the brick or virtual school where you physically live not where some BS paperwork said you might sometimes maybe be at.

A lot of this is local politics, Duval, Clay and St Johns counties are all adjacent. A lot of parents reside in one county, but work in another. Duval schools mostly suck, Clay is better, St. John's is better. Plenty of folks try to scam an address in a better area and drive their kids a long way to get them there every day.

The #1 elementary school in the state is 7/10 mile bike ride every morning from my house and a few blocks from the launch ramp and mooring field.
Old 20-10-2013, 17:55   #34
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtsailguy View Post
I am a multiple-licensed teacher that will be boat schooling next year. Does that count?
Only if you kids are too smart for public school or you think other teachers are too big of slackers to teach your kids good enough to your standards.

something like 85% of Americans feel they are above average. Must be why we consider ourselves so exceptional in the world.....
Old 20-10-2013, 19:19   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
While home schooling is pretty essential when cruising it seems like something of a fad ashore.

It's interesting well educated, successful country like Germany only allows homeschooling in very rare circumstances. they know a thing or two about extremism and prefer to try and integrate their children into a productive society not isolate them from it.
Yeah... what fools people are to consider trying to educate their children in a way they believe is correct rather than trusting a group of over worked underpaid public servants...
Andy73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2013, 21:01   #36

Boat: Hylas 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
While home schooling is pretty essential when cruising it seems like something of a fad ashore.

It's interesting well educated, successful country like Germany only allows homeschooling in very rare circumstances. they know a thing or two about extremism and prefer to try and integrate their children into a productive society not isolate them from it.
I find it amusing how wildly different two versions of the same story can be. The way I heard it, the German laws against homeschooling date back to the Nazi era with the Nazi party wanting to try and integrate the children into their version of a productive society, and to keep them from learning opposing (subversive) viewpoints. Personally, i think that children do better raised by mothers and fathers than by "The Motherland" or "The Fatherland".
The problem with anecdotal evidence is that if you have one story of a homeschooler who wins the national spelling bee and gets a full scholarship to Harvard, and another story of a homeschooler who can't even do enough basic math to become a mechanic, the truth isn't an average of the two stories and you don't have the full picture.
You have to do what's right for you and your family. If you want to find out what homeschooling is really like, meet the families that are doing it and have done it. Ask them about the challenges as well as the benefits. It's definitely not easy, but who said parenting was?
john540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2013, 21:36   #37

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

When we had our kids Boat Schooled, it was through a Real Program, not something we did because we did not think public schools were good! It was because they needed education, and niether myself or my wife felt anywhere near qualified to be teaching them!! There are serveral good outfits out there for just this use on boats at sea or cruiseing!! We were never near an American school when our kids were young, but all of them were able to go to collage with the education they recieved!! So as far as Im concerned, if you are a teacher then home school your kids, if not then get them into a good school program made for cruiseing kids !! Just 2 cents from some parents who knew they were not teachers !!
Old 20-10-2013, 21:38   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by john540 View Post
The problem with anecdotal evidence is that if you have one story of a homeschooler who wins the national spelling bee and gets a full scholarship to Harvard, and another story of a homeschooler who can't even do enough basic math to become a mechanic, the truth isn't an average of the two stories and you don't have the full picture.
HI John - I think you are on the right path with this thought, but to go a step further, I don't know if there is any evidence you could use to either defend or attack homeschooling.

Public (even private) schools vary incredibly from one region (or town) to another and even by teacher within the same school. Homeschooling would be much the same by curriculum or parent.

I look at it more as a parents' responsibility to raise their children. If the parents are not satisfied with the schooling options available to them (or would prefer to teach themselves) then it is their right to do so. No outside group should be able to interfere with that process.

There is obviously the potential for failure within an unregulated homeschooling system, but I know many people who graduated with such basic levels of math or literacy from a public school system, that I think the risk is common to both sides.
Old 20-10-2013, 22:16   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
When we had our kids Boat Schooled, it was through a Real Program, not something we did because we did not think public schools were good! It was because they needed education, and niether myself or my wife felt anywhere near qualified to be teaching them!! There are serveral good outfits out there for just this use on boats at sea or cruiseing!! We were never near an American school when our kids were young, but all of them were able to go to collage with the education they recieved!! So as far as Im concerned, if you are a teacher then home school your kids, if not then get them into a good school program made for cruiseing kids !! Just 2 cents from some parents who knew they were not teachers !!
interesting, we are in the same boat, so to speak.

Did you use an American system ? We do not wish to use american, we require a british or australian based system I guess as that is their background to date.

boatguy above must be a retired tax inspector.
samsiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2013, 13:54   #40

I have an 8 yr old daughter and a 6 yr old boy, it seemed that my husband and I were pulling our kids out of school often for boating so we decided to start homeschooling a year ago. We have been using Zaner Bloser for our homeschool curriculum and it has been great. Our personal favorite is the handwriting package and you can request for samples to see if your kids would like it! If you would like a sample you can request for one here: Zaner-Bloser Handwriting | Zaner-Bloser
CruiserMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2013, 15:40   #41

Boat: Lagoon 400

Apologies for not replying sooner, my mum just died and I've not been online much.

To subscribe to my blog homeschool Ahoy just go to the "feed" link at the bottom of the page.

I'm on the iPad and it's 5 in the morning. I will answer your questions when I'm back on board and this crazy time is over.. Sorry to keep you waiting.

Thanks
Katsumi
Homeschool Ahoy - Learning without school and building a dream!
Old 29-10-2013, 19:32   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by katsumi View Post
Apologies for not replying sooner, my mum just died and I've not been online much.

To subscribe to my blog homeschool Ahoy just go to the "feed" link at the bottom of the page.

I'm on the iPad and it's 5 in the morning. I will answer your questions when I'm back on board and this crazy time is over.. Sorry to keep you waiting.

Thanks
Katsumi
Condolences for your mum. God Bless
Old 30-10-2013, 06:39   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by katsumi View Post

Thanks
Katsumi
No rush....obviously you have more important stuff to deal with just now.

Cheers
samsiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2013, 06:52   #44

I may be spittle late to chime in on this thread, but I'm homeschooling my 2 boys aboard. As I have no prior teaching experience I've gone with a homeschooling program, from Calvert School. It is a non religious homeschool program just like public school would be. They send you EVERYTHING you need for the entire corset and give you a complete manual on how to teach it. Step by step. Its been great for us since we are so nomadic we can do the lessons anywhere. And of course as a new homeschooling mom it helps to have a curriculum to follow so you know you don't miss anything. They offer" teacher help" from a real teacher which I purchased and suggest against. It's a waist of money, at least for youngsters. We use our tax return to pay for it each year. Best wishes
littleadventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2013, 06:54   #45

A little. Not spittle lol. Auto correct on my phone
littleadventure is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
school