Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-10-2009, 03:08   #1

House Phone

hey i think this is the wrong area but does any one have a house phone on their boat? ive got 1 i use with my laptop as i am to cheap to get a cell when i want to make a call as i am still on land i am eigther at home or i pull into a mcdonalds in the area wich offers free wifi and call. there like 20$ a month for unlimited calls local or long distance and was wondering if anyone uses this instead of a cell.

Vonage - VoIP Internet Phone Service for Home, Business and International Calling: Vonage - A Better Way to Phone for Less

dont mean to advertise i was just wondering if anyone uses it?
vidar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2009, 06:00   #2

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
My house phone is a voip phone. I also use Skype a lot. Problem is you will need a good connection.
Old 24-10-2009, 10:41   #3

Boat: Coronado 25 (Don't tell her I'm shopping for an upgrade)
Most of this information is most useful for those in the U.S. It can also be helpful if you're outside the U.S., but still calling, or being called from U.S. numbers.

I'm not sure exactly what you're looking for so I'll try to break down a few points I've gathered from testing a zillion different options.

Vonage is fine. I'd go with Broadvoice for about $5 less a month. I've used both and Vonage seems to be worth $0/month more in terms of call quality.

I don't know how much time you spend on the phone, but for maximum flexibility and minimum price, I like the following combo...

Skype (with Skype Out) - for long duration calls. I've had better success with Skype over unknown wireless connections than Vonage/Broadvoice and it costs about a tenth of the others.

+

T-Mobile To Go - This is a cell phone thing, but great for making short calls. A $100 refill gives you something like 1000 minutes that don't expire for a full 365 days. Any subsequent refill resets your 365 days for all the minutes. Most prepaid plan minutes expire in 30 or 60. With the cost of the phone, your total should still be under $150.

If you can get an invite, Google Voice allows you to tie these services together in such a way that you can make calls to regular numbers on
Skype using Skype-In rather than Skype-Out.

Another option to add to the arsenal is Gizmo5. This service combined with Google Voice allows unlimited free incoming and outgoing calls when combined with Google Voice.
Old 24-10-2009, 14:43   #4

Boat: 440 Lagoon
Magic Jack.... works perfect.
VERTIGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2009, 15:14   #5

We have a landline at the marina so we can have DSL on the boat. There's a phone signal as well (and a number for us), but we never hooked a phone up to it. Just use our cellulars. Internet access is via our DSL, and I have a USB/Verizon cell adapter.

All my Internet access (cell, dsl, and verizon wireless card) are paid by my company, so I certainly wouldn't foot the bill for all this crap myself.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2009, 18:01   #6

Boat: C & C Landfall 38
Second the MagicJack!
iiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2009, 20:55   #7

well i dont really use a phone to often maybe once a month for something or another. and i didnt realize there were so many that you could choose from thanks guys!
vidar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
phone