Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-10-2021, 11:06   #31

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail
Re: How How Do You Economically and Comfortably Go 100 Miles Inland?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
I agree completely with this approach. However, there are a lot of differences:

1). My boat is currently under construction and needs an inexpensive dock so I can afford all the construction related expenses.

2) The point of the thread is to choose my ultimate path - boat or RV. The thing I don’t like about boats is this. Being stuck in the water and at the shore, unable to really do anything new. I’m in my 3rd decade of boat life. It’s pretty boring because you aren’t exposed to anything but harbors and islands. I love the atmosphere, but it’s like having your favorite meal every day for 30 years. I want to keep doing it, but it’s soooooo boring and isolating sometimes. It’s just an everyday thing when you e already been doing it 30 years. Still, I like the atmosphere and relaxing nature of it.

So it’s not really about “do I sit in a marina or at anchor “ so much as it’s about trying to find a way to eliminate the one thing I like least about boats. Being stuck on them or right at shore.
I am in my 4th decade of living on a boat (this boat, in fact). I don't ever want to live any other way. I don't find it boring or an any way limiting. However, others do. One of our best friends quit cruising because she found it too limiting. I could not get my head around that.

So that is just what suits me, not anybody else. You have to do what works for you.

One thing that helps is keeping theboat in service 100% of the time. For the last 35 years we have always be able to go sailing and visiting places. Even our major refits were in short duration to keep the boat in service. We've gotten underway about 1550 times (Log Book Pages). This helps keep it interesting.
Old 14-10-2021, 11:19   #32

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

A used construction van, fitted with a removable bunk. Something decent would be less than 5 grand. I don’t see how cruisers get by without something like this to begin with as there is always things to haul. ( propane for example). A motorcycle or yet a bicycle ??? What do you do when you are half way home and run into a rain storm ! Take my word for it, riding a motorcycle in the rain is not fun.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2021, 11:30   #33

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
I am in my 4th decade of living on a boat (this boat, in fact). I don't ever want to live any other way. I don't find it boring or an any way limiting. However, others do. One of our best friends quit cruising because she found it too limiting. I could not get my head around that.

So that is just what suits me, not anybody else. You have to do what works for you.

One thing that helps is keeping theboat in service 100% of the time. For the last 35 years we have always be able to go sailing and visiting places. Even our major refits were in short duration to keep the boat in service. We've gotten underway about 1550 times (Log Book Pages). This helps keep it interesting.

I’m trying. It’s not easy to finish building a boat when life throws more obstacles than average in your path: epoxy allergy, divorce mid-build taking the build funds, widow maker heart attack, etc etc. so I’m trying the best I can to hurry up to keep my project to a short duration. It’s just I’ve had a lot of obstacles beyond “simply building a boat.”

So what I’m trying to do here is see if I can make this work for me. By figuring out better ways to get 100-200 miles away from the boat on a regular basis.

At first, no prob. I’ll park at the marina. Later, when the boat is moving and there is no car along for the trip, that’s what we’re trying to figure out here. A way for that to work out a little better.

Even if everything goes perfectly and I never have to work again at some time after the boat is complete, being stuck in harbors and out in the water 100% of the time isn’t good. I still need to solve this issue to fully accept boats as the path.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2021, 11:35   #34

Quote:
The goal is to see if a boat or RV is more doable for this stage of life.
Got to say, I loved cruising when we were going really exciting challenging interesting places;

but I did not like boat ownership, nor much just hanging out on the boat.

For us, we get a boat when we have plans to really use it - go 7x24 long-distance cruising. And we sell the boat when we are done with that and are more living/working/traveling ashore.

So, personally, for what you describe . . . I would go with the RV . . . . but that's a really personal decision. I know others who would go the other way.
Breaking Waves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2021, 12:20   #35

Boat: 37 Uniflite Coastal Cruiser

This thread isn't really so much about access to job sites while living aboard. It is really about living on a boat versus an RV. Sounds like you are losing your vision about the desirability of living aboard. At the same time, you seem to know nothing about living long-term in an RV. You don't just park one for free where ever you want and when ever you want. There are definitely costs and other logistic considerations. And you will find that comfort suggests that you don't have to break camp virtually every day because you have no other means of transportation (assuming we are talking camper van or small motorhome here).
Dooglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2021, 12:20   #36

Quote:
Say you’re living on a boat. You live at anchor mostly and in moorings. You are actively cruising the USA only for now and you are an American citizen.

Every few days to once a week, you have meetings to get to that are 100 and even 200 miles away from the anchorage.

What is the most economical and comfortable way to get inland to these meetings?

Total cost counts. Comfort counts. Outside the box ideas welcome since I seem to be stuck on this.

Disclaimer: this is part of my decision to liveaboard and make the boat my primary residence or to just RV around and go sailing sometimes. The RV can go to these meetings and not need a hotel. Huge plus. Trying to see if I can find a way to do something similar from the boat to do meetings. I had thought I was going to use a motorcycle, but today realized that wasn’t a great idea. If meetings are late, you get to hang out outside or in some restaurant waiting. Or you need a hotel. That’s about $120 a week extra, unless hotel prices skyrocket due to sporting events, tourist season, etc.

If it's once or twice a week, it starts to make sense really quick to just buy a car. Just the hassle of picking up a rental and returning for a day trip all the time is a hassle before you start adding up the costs.

We followed the boat with the truck one year. We would cruise 200-300miles and then pick up a rental car to drive back and get the truck. Then we would stay in the area for 3-4 weeks. We were on the Great Lakes and inland rivers and the marinas had no problem letting us park until we got back to get the truck (NYC...probably not an option). If you are anchored out, finding parking may be more of a challenge as the marina is getting very little profit off you.

Of course, if you can do video conference, that makes far more sense rather than a full day of driving once or twice a week.

A motorcycle could be problematic if you have a rainy day...does it really look good to clients to come into their office looking like a drowned rat. Even if it's dry, helmet hair doesn't leave the best impression.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2021, 12:53   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooglas View Post
This thread isn't really so much about access to job sites while living aboard. It is really about living on a boat versus an RV. Sounds like you are losing your vision about the desirability of living aboard. At the same time, you seem to know nothing about living long-term in an RV. You don't just park one for free where ever you want and when ever you want. There are definitely costs and other logistic considerations. And you will find that comfort suggests that you don't have to break camp virtually every day because you have no other means of transportation (assuming we are talking camper van or small motorhome here).
Well, I did say in the very first post that I’m trying to figure this out so I can decide which to make my primary mode of living. So yeah. It’s about exactly that. Eliminating something I don’t like about boats to make them still a good option.

I haven’t lived in any kind of house or building for decades. I’ve been building this boat a very long time. I have been living in my RV full time since I came ashore to build the boat. I’m making this post from solar power in the RV and full timing right now. So I don’t know where on earth you get off saying I don’t know anything about long term RV living. I even lived full time in one while building the boat.

YOU don’t just park one for free wherever and whenever you want. I do. Ha ha ha. I have it all down to a science. Many years of experience and trial and error. Just like anchoring. Experience makes it easy.

I don’t “break camp” because I don’t camp. I don’t strew useless junk and knick knacks all over the ground around my RV. (First hint at how to not pay to rv) I don’t go outside unless I’m going hiking or into stores or something. No sitting in Walmart in camping chairs around a fire in a hobo barrel. Ha ha.

I do have a motorcycle on the RV so I actually do have another means of transportation at my disposal on the rare event I decide to do a campground. So I don’t have to break camp on those days anyway.

Bottom line is: I am seeing if anyone had creative ideas as to how to go 100-200 miles inland both for meetings and for fun things like hiking in mountains or even visiting relatives or something. To be less trapped on the boat.
Old 14-10-2021, 12:56   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
If it's once or twice a week, it starts to make sense really quick to just buy a car. Just the hassle of picking up a rental and returning for a day trip all the time is a hassle before you start adding up the costs.

We followed the boat with the truck one year. We would cruise 200-300miles and then pick up a rental car to drive back and get the truck. Then we would stay in the area for 3-4 weeks. We were on the Great Lakes and inland rivers and the marinas had no problem letting us park until we got back to get the truck (NYC...probably not an option). If you are anchored out, finding parking may be more of a challenge as the marina is getting very little profit off you.

Of course, if you can do video conference, that makes far more sense rather than a full day of driving once or twice a week.

A motorcycle could be problematic if you have a rainy day...does it really look good to clients to come into their office looking like a drowned rat. Even if it's dry, helmet hair doesn't leave the best impression.
Agreed. Would love to make that car a small RV, but they draw so much attention in parking areas. Maybe just keep the RV and pay a LOT of attention to free parking areas, moving it like people are saying to do with cars, ditching the motorcycle. Then the hotels would not be needed on business trips and the mountains would still be accessible.

Rent one way cars to go get the RV after moving as has been suggested.
Old 14-10-2021, 13:16   #39

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

For the feeling limited thing, if you're planning to keep both the boat and RV, you could always trade off seasonally. Boat for a while until you get somewhere that you can keep the boat for a while cheaply, then travel around in the RV for a while until you're ready to go boating again, etc. Doesn't help the meeting travel thing much though.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2021, 13:27   #40

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

I'd like to point out a couple of things:

It is still early in your recovery for you to make major decisions.

And, there is a positive benefit that he did not accentuate to Loud Music's suggestion about bicycling to public transportation, at least in fine weather, and that is the exercise, and cool-out time biccycling provides: it will help your physical health. And, since your business acquaintances won't see it, it doesn't matter if it is a beater bike.

I know you want to see your way forward as soon as possible, who wouldn't?, but give your body a chance to finish its healing, and rebuilding strength. Then you can be more active whether you choose RV or boat.

Ann
Old 14-10-2021, 14:03   #41

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdege View Post
When I attended the Minnesota Renaissance Festival, this year, I was musing about taking my boat up to it. It's at most a 1/2 mile walk through the woods from the river bank to the entrance.

I worked there for years and know the place pretty well and I've been on that section of the river (in a 14' boat). It's not the easy walk that it looks like due to a swamp that separates the river from the (Queen's gate) entrance and the steep terrain if you go around the swamp. Also a partial fence. There's an abandoned railroad grade that goes from the place where the powerline crosses the river (where there's a beachy area) down past the (King's gate) parking area to a gate in the fence, and then you'd have to walk or take a shuttle bus up to the front gate.

Fun to think about though.

Quote:

Of course my boat is down on Lake Pepin, so it'd be a bit of a trip (70-80 miles?) But the masts are on tabernacles, so it'd be doable.

Or you could leave the masts up as far as the footbridge at Bloomington Ferry, which is 42', then anchor and take a dinghy the rest of the way.
Old 14-10-2021, 16:11   #42

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 37

Easy - use Turo app. It’s like Airbnb only for cars. I’ve used it twice for wedding events in the last 3 years. Cheaper than a typical car rental place and you can choose the price and exact car you need.
Hero2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2021, 16:28   #43

Boat: Hunter 46

Quote:
..........Every few days to once a week, you have meetings to get to that are 100 and even 200 miles away from the anchorage. What is the most economical and comfortable way to get inland to these meetings?
Where are you currently anchored and where are the meetings? Do the meeting require an overnight stay? I did that for 40 years and would generally drive and stay in motels. If it was for longer periods of time to a recurring location I would rent a room or an apartment. Today I have the option of towing a large, very comfortable fifth wheel trailer and stay in rv parks close to meeting locations and commute to the meeting in my tow vehicle.
sail sfbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2021, 16:34   #44
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

I don’t get it. OP already has an RV. So what’s the issue.
Old 14-10-2021, 17:07   #45

Boat: Hunter 46

Chotu........a few additional questions:

Are transient moorings or slips for a 50 ft cat readily available close to the meeting locations?

Have you factored in the cost of a transient moorings or slip?

Have you factored in the time to sail/motor there and back and at what speed?

Have you factored in the cost of a taxi and rental car service?

Can you ride a bike from the transient mooring or slip to the meeting and back?
sail sfbay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal