Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-06-2014, 16:18   #16

Boat: Coast 34
Re: How many days...

Another vote for Stugeron in the 15 mg dosage. It works when you are already seasick, and I can regulate my doses so that after two days or so I don't need it at all. Also, the small pills can be chewed easily.
Annie in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2014, 16:35   #17

Another vote for doing a search on seasickness, on this or any other boating forums. There are only so many answers out there, I haven't read a new on in 16 years.

Good luck, it's a horrible affliction, but one that can be (perhaps) cured by reading.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2014, 16:43   #18

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Cakeslovesbakin',

Stugeron is our drug of preference. If you can get some, start taking it at least 12 hrs. before departure, as that often helps as well.

If you are on HRT, I found that made me more prone to seasickness.

The longest I have ever been seasick was 19 days of a 24 day passage. There are suppositories you can use if you can't keep anything down.

I'm usually okay after 3 days with the stugeron, but if the kind of jerky motion that my body doesn't like happens, I have to start it up again.

With practice, you learn better how to move your body so as to minimize the stirring up of your semi-circular canals. Mostly it has to do with keeping your ears parallel to the horizon off the wind. I find it helps to steer the boat, on or off the wind, both for the position of your body and concentrating on something other than being sick.

I am another one who has been prone to motion sickness since I was 5.

Good luck with it.

Ann

P.S. Have used the scopalomine patches. Don't like the dry mouth side effect, and developed skin sensitivity to the glue. Should test it on dry land before going to sea because it makes some people hallucinate.

PPS: If you can't get Stugeron, try meclizine HCl: it doesn't work as well, but helps some: as in not vomit, just feel queasy, but then okay after 3 days continuous 24 hr. sailing. Also, trust your body to learn how to take care of you, and work on that by encouraging it to do so. There is a learning curve of tricks you'll learn that work for you, like bracing yourself on the downhill side, closing your eyes, and taking a nap. Used to work for some people, and looking astern, sometimes works, though focusing on the horizon is generally better.

A.
Old 29-06-2014, 18:09   #19

Boat: Bayliner 2355, looking for a Whitby

Sorry, can not help but post. Place an ear plug in one ear. Works.
Nomadgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2014, 18:12   #20
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakeslovesbakin View Post
Thank you. I will try this. Wish me luck. I am fed up with feeding the fish and feeling like death. )
Observations after a lifetime at sea helping professional crew naturally overcome their chronic seasickness when the weather turns.

Try and have a bowel movement instead of throwing up. Seems to settle the stomach greatly so pre bad weather diet planning is important. (Many eat light when they are afraid they will get seasick..... Do the opposite and let your body push it out the right way)

Music and slow dance exercises in cadence with the boat's motion seemed to be the universal solution to relaxing the mind to the dynamic motion.

Over the years the worst sufferers finally minimized their discomfort without using drugs from these 2 tricks.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2014, 18:28   #21
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Cakeslovesbakin',

Stugeron is our drug of preference. If you can get some, start taking it at least 12 hrs. before departure, as that often helps as well.

If you are on HRT, I found that made me more prone to seasickness.

The longest I have ever been seasick was 19 days of a 24 day passage. There are suppositories you can use if you can't keep anything down.

I'm usually okay after 3 days with the stugeron, but if the kind of jerky motion that my body doesn't like happens, I have to start it up again.

With practice, you learn better how to move your body so as to minimize the stirring up of your semi-circular canals. Mostly it has to do with keeping your ears parallel to the horizon off the wind. I find it helps to steer the boat, on or off the wind, both for the position of your body and concentrating on something other than being sick.

I am another one who has been prone to motion sickness since I was 5.

Good luck with it.

Ann

P.S. Have used the scopalomine patches. Don't like the dry mouth side effect, and developed skin sensitivity to the glue. Should test it on dry land before going to sea because it makes some people hallucinate.

PPS: If you can't get Stugeron, try meclizine HCl: it doesn't work as well, but helps some: as in not vomit, just feel queasy, but then okay after 3 days continuous 24 hr. sailing. Also, trust your body to learn how to take care of you, and work on that by encouraging it to do so. There is a learning curve of tricks you'll learn that work for you, like bracing yourself on the downhill side, closing your eyes, and taking a nap. Used to work for some people, and looking astern, sometimes works, though focusing on the horizon is generally better.

A.
Ann. Do these medications tend to make a person constipated?
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2014, 23:35   #22

Pelagic,

In my experience, neither Stugeron nor meclizine HCl make anyone constipated. Sometimes the Stugeron has made me drowsy for about 1/2 hr., other times not. I cannot explain why it affects me differently. Don't understand it at all!

With all the tricks my body has picked up over the years, I rarely medicate unless the anchorages have been extraordinarily quiet, and the seas high for the passage. Sailing downwind is okay, beam reach, sometimes, on the wind, sometimes, best with a mostly constant angle of heel; it is jerky motion that bothers my body the most...

Ann
Old 30-06-2014, 12:17   #23

Boat: Gib'Sea 302, 30' - Hydra

The other day, the sea was slight to moderate and my niece was feeling nauseous. I gave her some green parsley to eat. She was immediately OK. It was evident by the sight of her face: her smile was back.

Alain
Hydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 02:38   #24

Thank you Alain

Sounds disgusting! But anything is worth a try.
Cakeslovesbakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 02:41   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadgurl View Post
Sorry, can not help but post. Place an ear plug in one ear. Works.
I will give anything a shot. Thanks.
Cakeslovesbakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 14:53   #26

My wife tried the patch the last time we were in the BVI for ten days. She did fine on the boat but once we hit dry land again she was so sick and dizzy she couldn't walk. Thought I was going to have to leave her there! It took her about eight hours to get over those side effects once she took the patch off.

Sent from my XT1030 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
DSDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 20:19   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSDman View Post
My wife tried the patch the last time we were in the BVI for ten days. She did fine on the boat but once we hit dry land again she was so sick and dizzy she couldn't walk. Thought I was going to have to leave her there! It took her about eight hours to get over those side effects once she took the patch off.

Sent from my XT1030 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Scop's strong stuff. My doc had me try it ashore to see what side effects it gave me.

Ann