View Poll Results: How often do you sail/motor
actively cruising 2 8.70%
more than once a week 7 30.43%
four times a month 10 43.48%
twice a month 3 13.04%
less than once a month 1 4.35%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-05-2009, 21:08   #1

Boat: Looking for a new boat
How Often Do You Sail?

Having just moved to Southern California I am finding it frustrating to find folks to sail with and thus have been spending more time in the slip than when I lived in Boston and was dealing with 6 months of winter. How often would you say you sail? Please specify if you race.
unbusted67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 21:16   #2

Boat: 1967 Angleman Sea Spirit
I sail saturday and sunday and sometimes during the week, so I should say I sail at least 12 times per month and try to do at least 12 miles each time
Old 11-05-2009, 21:20   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
I run a few different powerboats for a living. I don't get to sail enough at all.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 21:25   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Averaging about twice a week. Most sails are 5-7 hours.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 13:10   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
We're northbound now from Florida to Maine,- we're "hurricane birds", but cruising with the "snow birds". We sometimes stay at the same place for a few months and we typically cruise about 4,000 miles/year. There are thousands of us doing this seasonal latitude cruising on the US East Coast. We've been fulltime liveaboard cruisers since 1972. 'take care and joy, Aythya crew
Hudson Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 13:36   #6

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Quote:
Having just moved to Southern California I am finding it frustrating to find folks to sail with and thus have been spending more time in the slip than when I lived in Boston and was dealing with 6 months of winter.
See San Diego Waterfront, the first place for news about the big bay - yacht clubs, sailing, boating, chartering, yachting, racing, scuba diving and surfing

and Polaris Sailing Society a social and sailing organization for professional single adults

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 16:47   #7

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
It really varies. Everything here is frozen for 6 months of the winter, so a sailing vacation is the only option then. I'm more of a cruiser than day sailor, so I don't think frequency of times per month or times per week tells much. I generally do a 2-week cruise in the winter and 3-4 week cruise in June, with about 3 day per week of local lake teaching in the Fall. I'm looking forward to a 3-month cruise again this coming winter.

I hope you find some more sailing folks. Have you tried doing any advertising, etc. to find more people? I sometimes do that even for cruising.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 17:31   #8

We spend every weekend from late may thru october on the boat sailing most weekends plus an extended cruise or two in there. Jobs and money are the reasons. We don't sail each weekend however as sometimes we just hang out on the boat on the mooring.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 17:56   #9

Boat: s/v Annapurna (Contessa 26)
Rarely, my boat is more of a living boat than a sailing boat atm. It would take a good deal of work to secure for sea, in the midst of all the projects and whatnot going on. I think I've sailed twice in the last 6 months.
Philosail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 18:26   #10

Boat: Columbia 8.7 As You Wish III
My sailing instructor/friend and I sail on Wednesdays. If we go out every Wednesday we will experience a vast combination of winds/weather.

By the way it is not very crowded.
ksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 19:31   #11

Boat: Looking for a new boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksmith View Post
My sailing instructor/friend and I sail on Wednesdays. If we go out every Wednesday we will experience a vast combination of winds/weather.

By the way it is not very crowded.
Oh man sailing on the week days is the best. In Boston there was this organization, Community Boating. It was a non profit and for $225 a year you could sail Mecuries and Rhodes as much as you wanted. Very cool. There is nothing like that out here, just a Seaforth where you might spend that in a day. Now I sit on the dock during the weekdays while my girlfriend works. Then Saturday we go out and sail in what resembles more of a busy water park than a harbor. I'm sure we'll figure it out it just takes time to meet people especially when your a bit of an introvert!
unbusted67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 20:24   #12

Boat: Beneteau 393
When we were talking about living aboard, one of our concerns was that the boat could simply be a studio apt on the water and not a means to experience new places, etc. In other words, we were afraid we'd never have "time" to get underway and would permanently be dockside. So, we set a goal for ourselves when we moved aboard to get underway at least one weekend a month. So far, we've done a lot better than that- getting underway 3 out of 4 of our weekends here, or put another way 7 out of our first 24 days aboard. Can't wait to take a few weeks off work! Of course, we are new liveaboard and new to the boat, so the novelty certainly hasn't gone away- hope it never will!
GeoPowers is offline   Reply With Quote