Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2012, 07:18   #16

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter
Re: How old is too old?

While I would up that to 35 feet, I agree there is an upper limit for a singlehander who isn't in peak physical condition.

We settled on 41 feet because I'd rather have slightly small from a boat handling perspective (it draws just under six feet and is 12 1/2 feet at the beam) for three people than slightly large and have the smallest crew be unable to handle a moderate gale, alone, at night, on watch. Because that's the reality: Passages are a sequence of single-handed watches, mostly. The crew are all aware and on deck together not that often.

It's not even about strength, really. It's endurance and overall energy level. It's harder to marshal as you age.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 07:21   #17

Boat: Haida 26

Pushing 64 now, but still going, presently doing a re-fit. Gaining weight since I'm back in the house for awhile. This morning it was 1deg., will not get much work done. Can't wait to get back to the harbor. I just have to get south,burrrrrrr. Michael
rubyjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 07:50   #18

Boat: 1965 Alberg 35 #190

I'm 900 months old now, and just bought an Alberg 35. I was going to buy an Alberg 28.5, the same boat. The reason I went for the 35 is it is an easier boat to move around on and has a gentler motion at sea. Both boats are dead simple to singlehand and have the necessary mechanical power to make up for my departed muscles. I sail much more conservatively than before, but find the activity keeps me much more in shape than hunkering down in fear of injury. So, I guess I'm saying that even though I don't recover from injury as quickly as I used to, I still recover and I have learned to mentally manage aches and pain as well as real trauma. Sail until the keel falls off, don't worry about the future, make adjustments as necessary. Fair winds, JLS
Old 02-03-2012, 08:35   #19

Boat: Haida 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Reiter View Post
I'm 900 months old now, and just bought an Alberg 35. I was going to buy an Alberg 28.5, the same boat. The reason I went for the 35 is it is an easier boat to move around on and has a gentler motion at sea. Both boats are dead simple to singlehand and have the necessary mechanical power to make up for my departed muscles. I sail much more conservatively than before, but find the activity keeps me much more in shape than hunkering down in fear of injury. So, I guess I'm saying that even though I don't recover from injury as quickly as I used to, I still recover and I have learned to mentally manage aches and pain as well as real trauma. Sail until the keel falls off, don't worry about the future, make adjustments as necessary. Fair winds, JLS
Way to think, I'm with you on that. I have problems for wounds from Viet Namn. One lung shot-up that causes a little breathing problem. but I seem to do just fine. The point is to know your limitations. Your right, sail till the keel falls off. I'm just not ready to go to an old folks home. Maybe that my boat is my old folks home. I told my wife that when I go to just roll me off the deck. That's the way that will make happy. I like your attitude, Good sailing to you...Michael..
rubyjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 09:58   #20
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: 1999 Hughes 30 Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubyjean View Post
I have problems for wounds from Viet Namn. ..Michael..
I got out of there in '70, no physical wounds and sailing takes care of the rest that ale's me.
Pat Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 10:07   #21

Boat: gulfstar ketch 41 Surya

I am going to keep sailing till the pry the autopilot out of my cold dead hands.
S/V_Surya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 10:36   #22

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Im 73 and Connies 60,and we are looking for our next boat. It must be 40 to 50 ft. with the equipment available today, if your fingers work you could sail most any size boat LOL we are more intersted in ROOM and a Tough boat, at our age we like our comfort!! we want watermaker, washer/dryer,gen set, proper nav equipment area, and the easyness of setting and douseing sails from the cockpit! with powerd winchs ect!! LOL we dont want much do we LOL but we will find what we are looking for ! even if we must add what we need or I should say want ? I don't think age has much to do with it as long as you are healthy! Just do it you mite like it !! just my 2 cents Bob and Connie
bobconnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 11:03   #23
Armchair Bucketeer

What goes before the physical ability is the desire. For most people, when something stops being fun enough for the effort they stop - if they have a choice. Boats and whatever.

Above 70 and still active (and wanting to be) puts you very much in the minority.....and that minority gets smaller with every year.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 15:04   #24

Location: New Mexico and our S/V is in Fort Pierce..hope to be there soon and sailing.
Boat: S/V"KAREN", Pearson Alberg 35. an achilles dingy, 2 kyaks.

The more active you are the younger you remain. One advantage of age over youth is generally the wisdom that experience as provided as to do things easier, more efficiently and safer. Not always. But generally. I hope to be sailing until I just don't want to anymore...which will most likely never happen. There is no bright line for what age is too old... and when you think about it there does seem to be a lot of "old salts" around. Maybe they just live longer that way...
susanna reiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 15:14   #25

Boat: Finnsailer 38

There is no age limit if you want to do it and you have the mental capability. That last one I think is the important one. Lots of physical disabilities and impairments can be compensated for, particularly if you have plenty of experience sailing already, but you still need your wits about you. I have seen plenty of folks in their 50s and 60s who shouldn't be out there because they are drinking their lives away already, and I have seen folks in their 80s having a great time. My dad isn't a sailor, but he turns 82 this year, still climbs mountains, throws his kayak on top of the car and goes paddling, just got back from a trip to Texas, and is planning on driving down there and camping next time. It's doing what you want to do, having the desire, and figuring out how to do it, not your age that matters.
Old 02-03-2012, 15:49   #26

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Well, I'm 61, took up sailing a few years ago. But have not done a heck of a lot in the last 2.

Now I'm gonna take a 6-month leave and do a longish single handed trip starting in May. At least that's the plan. Keep the thread going and I'll post how I made out. If I really did it or crapped out on the way.

One way or another.......time will tell.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 17:18   #27

Boat: MacGregor 91-26S
Smile Re: How old is too old?

Hi there. I bought a 91 macgregor 26S in October and have been getting it ready for warm weather. YESTERDAY was near 80, just could not wait any longer. Got an old friend to help me get it in the water. Wind 20-25 and water temp 50. Both first time in a sail boat. Took a while to get the rigging up. Wind was blowing straight into the slew. So we motored out into the lake before putting up the sails. Three to 4 foot chop so made it a challenge to stay on the boat and get the sail up. Some problems there, but did get it up then down to put in a reef, then back up. We sailed up and down the lake(Texoma) for a couple of hours. WHAT FUN! Made some memories and can't wait to do it again.
Im 75 and my friend 60, so whats old. A month or 2 here on the lake then to the Gulf, to sail and fish. Life is good after 2 open heart surgeries (total of 6 by-passes) and a knee surgery. Having fun, gets you past any discomfort.
Old 02-03-2012, 18:04   #28

Location: New Mexico and our S/V is in Fort Pierce..hope to be there soon and sailing.
Boat: S/V"KAREN", Pearson Alberg 35. an achilles dingy, 2 kyaks.

Good on ya "Walt70" ..... hope you have fair winds and many happy days on the water ahead.
susanna reiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 19:34   #29

Boat: C&C 34 & Sonar One Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by justwaiting View Post
A couple of issues to consider

The cascade effect from fall is one of the issue that cause a change in living conditions for many older people. Peoples ablity to balance does decline with age, but often falls are not a direct result of age. UTI,s are one of the major causes of fall in elderly people. In age care facilities they are directly associated with about 70% of falls. From what i have seen more people end up in nursing home as a result of fall than strokes. So do not take changes such as confusion and loss of balance as being age related, seek medical advice and treatment.
UTI,s as in Urinary Tract Infections are a major cause of falls? In a nursing home maybe.
Old 02-03-2012, 20:01   #30

Yes, sneezing with a UTI infection can keep one from sencing the urge to urinate and sneezing causes them to unknowingly relieve themselves while standing. They turn around to walk and slip on the wet floor.....Boom! Broken hip! Now in the hospital laying there they catch pneumonia and the lungs fill causing further complications until a stroke is induced. Being non-funtional by this time they may not be left alone and are off to the nursing home where they vegitate until the end of their days, all because they sneezed with UTI and got piszed off.

Wavewacker is offline   Reply With Quote