Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2012, 22:10   #76

Boat: Birchwood Centre Cockpit 33, Broom Shannon Class 42 flybridge.
Re: How Old is Too Old ?

A previous post had said that a man aged 84, yep 84 ! was rescued off Easter Island. Another said that despite major medical problems he was going to enjoy his boat until he dropped of his perch ( he also said a burial at sea might be a cheaper option). Me ? I'm only a pup that's been living aboard for 35 years.
Irish rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 03:10   #77

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36 Cat

I think Norsearayder said most of it - self and (then) husband planned a 2 year trip from UK to Caribbean and left in 2003. Never went back and still (but now without husband) am living on a 36ft cat and sailing regularly. Love the life! I am 63 and more fit than I ever was back home, dinghy rowing, backpack shopping, walking and swimming are beneficial and life without a TV means you read and usually learn something new most days!
Age is just a number applied to years of experience and has nothing to do with your capabilities. Health issues are a worry wherever you are, as are accidental injuries. You will know yourself when you are not equal to the tasks and will moderate accordingly.
Live like you mean it!
GypsyGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 14:39   #78

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyGal View Post
I think Norsearayder said most of it - self and (then) husband planned a 2 year trip from UK to Caribbean and left in 2003. Never went back and still (but now without husband) am living on a 36ft cat and sailing regularly. Love the life! I am 63 and more fit than I ever was back home, dinghy rowing, backpack shopping, walking and swimming are beneficial and life without a TV means you read and usually learn something new most days!
Age is just a number applied to years of experience and has nothing to do with your capabilities. Health issues are a worry wherever you are, as are accidental injuries. You will know yourself when you are not equal to the tasks and will moderate accordingly.
Live like you mean it!
good for you!!!!

We are trying desperately to leave in spring a year from now & "early retirement" - 59 now. I bike 50 miles a week or more weather permitting. Skipperette still looks good to me and she's pretty handy with a wrench.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P6120013.JPG
Views:	121
Size:	393.1 KB
ID:	38522  
Nicholson58 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 15:49   #79

Boat: Ohlson 38
Re: How old is too old?

Quote:
Originally Posted by justwaiting View Post
A couple of issues to consider

The cascade effect from fall is one of the issue that cause a change in living conditions for many older people. Peoples ablity to balance does decline with age, but often falls are not a direct result of age. UTI,s are one of the major causes of fall in elderly people. In age care facilities they are directly associated with about 70% of falls. From what i have seen more people end up in nursing home as a result of fall than strokes. So do not take changes such as confusion and loss of balance as being age related, seek medical advice and treatment.

Some of the changes commonly associated ageing can make life very difficult for people who wish to remain cruising/ living on board. About 50% of men and 70% 0f women (who have delivered children naturaly become incontenent. This is a very distressing and dificult issue to deal with, but on a boat with limited washing facilities more so.
I'm only 50 but I've thought about what it may be like at age 65, 70,75...
I'd never heard about this incontinence problem, so I felt compelled to verify your statistics. (copy and paste stats at end of page)

I'm currently laid up with another back strain because I keep trying to lift too much, or work as hard as I did when I was 20. (Wisdom is slow in coming for some of us, I guess) I don't see how you guys at age 70+ do it! Props to all of you.

Here's the stats on incontinence, but I was thinking... if I was single-handing, a little bladder/bowel leakage wouldn't be game stopper, just a little inconvenient.
.................................................. .................................................. ....
Consumer research reveals that one in four women over the age of 18 experience episodes of leaking urine involuntarily.

One-third of men and women ages 30-70 have experienced loss of bladder control at some point in their adult lives and may be still living with the symptoms.

Facts & Statistics | Incontinence, Nocturia, Enlarged Prostate, and Prolapse Information
virginia boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 16:11   #80
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by virginia boy View Post
I'm only 50 but I've thought about what it may be like at age 65, 70,75...
I'd never heard about this incontinence problem, so I felt compelled to verify your statistics. (copy and paste stats at end of page)

I'm currently laid up with another back strain because I keep trying to lift too much, or work as hard as I did when I was 20. (Wisdom is slow in coming for some of us, I guess) I don't see how you guys at age 70+ do it! Props to all of you.

Here's the stats on incontinence, but I was thinking... if I was single-handing, a little bladder/bowel leakage wouldn't be game stopper, just a little inconvenient.
.................................................. .................................................. ....
Consumer research reveals that one in four women over the age of 18 experience episodes of leaking urine involuntarily.

One-third of men and women ages 30-70 have experienced loss of bladder control at some point in their adult lives and may be still living with the symptoms.

Facts & Statistics | Incontinence, Nocturia, Enlarged Prostate, and Prolapse Information
Gotta love stats, p*ssed myself laughing so much I can't go sailing today!
These ones should strike fear in all of us... or not.
What are they really telling us. 25% of women (over 18) but 33% of men & women between 30 & 70 - so does that mean only 8% of men between 30 & 70???

But its OK before 18 (for women) and past 70 for both.

Back to topic, I follow the line of "its genetics, keeping active (physically & mentally), good stress management and good / reasonable diet" and in that order.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 17:51   #81

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by virginia boy View Post

No matter how much you shake and dance, you'll still get a little pee pee in your pants.
Old 09-03-2012, 17:55   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
No matter how much you shake and dance, you'll still get a little pee pee in your pants.
And if you shake it more than 3 times you are a solo sailor
Old 09-03-2012, 17:57   #83
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

And if you sit down and then use paper, you are a ..................(clean, clever and smart person )
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 19:31   #84

Boat: custom teak ketch 48' Eastwind

Live in the NOW and age wont matter and "while we live, let's live in clover, for when we're dead, we're dead all over."
Take your drugs, kill the pain and go sailing!
Geoduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 20:08   #85

Boat: Devlin 48 Moon River & Marshal Catboat

I don't know that there are any statistics of the people who try the live aboard and cop out. Probably a lot. The only way you are really going to know is to try it. If you don't go too big with your boat a failure will not hurt your budget so much and you can just keep the smaller boat for weekend and vacation time. For some the glamor and allour wears off when the reallity of discomfort sets in. For it to work you have to believe you are having more fun and adventure than discomfort and that is a personal thing. Be careful you will get a biased slant on this site. You have to make your own best judgements
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2012, 19:17   #86

Boat: Smokercraft Promag 172

I fail to see what age has to do with size, but I am being talked into a larger boat than I originally planned on.
These one guys I talk to say a larger boat goes faster,,,another told me a larger boat handles the waves better........But I bet a larger one is more work to operate and care for.
Dixie Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2012, 19:35   #87

Boat: 28Ft Piver Encore, Tri-Maran, Anchored in San Diego.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nemo55

Man....I like your Philosophy.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoduck View Post
Live in the NOW and age wont matter and "while we live, let's live in clover, for when we're dead, we're dead all over."
Take your drugs, kill the pain and go sailing!

https://nemo1955.blogspot.ca/
Nemo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2012, 01:00   #88

Boat: Bavaria 42 Cruiser

My favorite book is "sailing alone around the world" by Capt Joshua Slocum i read it every long haul and it never ceases to remind me of why i went sailing. Yes he had experience but, look at his adventures at the end stages of his life, wound the clock back decades by doing what he did!! go read that book, a true classic and relate to where you are and want to be!!
tbj402000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2012, 09:20   #89

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie Dog View Post
I fail to see what age has to do with size, but I am being talked into a larger boat than I originally planned on.
These one guys I talk to say a larger boat goes faster,,,another told me a larger boat handles the waves better........But I bet a larger one is more work to operate and care for.
Actually a 60' boat set up and built right (for single handing) is no more trouble then a 35' boat. It's the costs that will really change.
Old 21-03-2012, 09:32   #90

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Thats why I love to go to sea !! water every where!! Ya can pee anywhere (at least overboard) as long as ya watch the wind !!! So ya see theres something for everyone when ya become a seaman (sea person I have to remember to Politicaly Correct) age is only a state of mind ! Im still 21 just a slow 21 LOL