Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-11-2015, 07:17   #106

Boat: Cape George pilothouse 36 and a Cape Dory 25
Re: How stupid is this idea?

Just like going to a Seven Eleven in the rain, most people do it without a problem. I truly regret that due to life getting in the way I took about 50 years from when it first occured to me to go, and by then I had owned so many boats, and had read so much that I went to Mexico in a boat prepared for A winter in Patagonia. I would recommend the Sea of Cortez as safe, and cheap, fulfilling and exciting destination.
fatherchronica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2015, 07:38   #107

Boat: Scout 30

I've been thinking about this & I have come to the conclusion that this is a very stupid idea. After 12 years of forced schooling you now have the "choice" of continuing. College takes work & determination. After a year of cruising in paradise you will not be able to force yourself to go back to school & even if you do you won't be able to concentrate. I'm not an odds maker but I'd say the chances you end up a boat bum are 2-1. That being said I should note that it's always been my dream to be Captain Ron.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2015, 07:41   #108

Do you think it would be a better idea to do it the year after college? Maybe as a gap year between school and work. At this point we also would have more money and could get a nicer boat and possible spend more than a year sailing.
420sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2015, 09:20   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
I've been thinking about this & I have come to the conclusion that this is a very stupid idea. After 12 years of forced schooling you now have the "choice" of continuing. College takes work & determination. After a year of cruising in paradise you will not be able to force yourself to go back to school & even if you do you won't be able to concentrate. I'm not an odds maker but I'd say the chances you end up a boat bum are 2-1. That being said I should note that it's always been my dream to be Captain Ron.
Not necessarily. I dropped out of Cornell for several years to bum around, came back, finished up my degree then went traveling again and after a while went back to get my Ph.D. Traveling really helped me focus in my university studies. Otherwise, just too immature to really benefit from higher education. Travel is an education in and of itself.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2015, 10:15   #110

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by 420sailor View Post
Do you think it would be a better idea to do it the year after college? Maybe as a gap year between school and work. At this point we also would have more money and could get a nicer boat and possible spend more than a year sailing.
I think asking for advice about what to do from people that don't know anything about you is problematic. You can expect generalities but not specifics. I actually regret my last post although it was a valid point. The problem is if you put it off it may never happen. One thing is certain, it would be an adventure!
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2015, 10:37   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
I think asking for advice about what to do from people that don't know anything about you is problematic. You can expect generalities but not specifics. I actually regret my last post although it was a valid point. The problem is if you put it off it may never happen. One thing is certain, it would be an adventure!
But its always interesting to see what others might say about such a venture. Best advice is what Bambi got: Follow your nose.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2015, 10:42   #112

Boat: Cheoy Lee 47 CC

Are you kidding? Go.
I did something similar at 18 but on motorcycles, saw a lot, traveled a lot and had a great time, met many good people and had many good times. All those "friends" that thought I was crazy took the safe path, and still regret it, their still too fearful to try anything outside of a Disney trip, many have died since without ever tasting a little adventure, it's sad.
I did that for a number of years, I knew i'd have responsibilities someday and only had that kind of opportunity while debt and responsibility free, then married in my late twenties and didn't have a vacation at all for years, kids, house, career, etc, etc.
There are some things you can only do when your young, and some things you can do when your older and not as physically capable.
Now 40 years on (and married for a second time) I'm planning on taking off cruising with my wife and boys, it requires a buttload more planning and bigger boat!
Go now, go cheap, have a ball.
But please, use good judgement, all here would like your trip to be fun, rewarding, safe, OK, not completely safe, that wouldn't be any fun, and most of all to live to tell the tale.
Cheers, have at it.
I've never regretted taking the opportunities when they arose, it's made for a more rewarding life that's still moving forward.
lifeofreilly57 is offline   Reply With Quote