Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-09-2011, 18:11   #1

Boat: Brayndlmeyer 40 custom
How to Stay Afloat

Hi everyone, so I'm 40 married and have 4 years till the kids are out of the nest, I'm originally from the west coast and love the briney blue unfortunately I'm in the prairies making my little fortune so I to can live on a boat and sail at least 6 of the 7 sea's lol. Anyways I hate to ask but I gotta it's part of my home work in prep to our new life onboard, for those of you who live onboard and don't spend a lot of mulla but sail on long voyages can you please give me an idea on what type of money per month one can do this on?????
Snkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2011, 18:25   #2
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Re: How to stay afloat

Welcome to the forum .

asking how much it costs to live per month on a boat is kinda like asking how much it costs to live per month in an apartment.

some of us get by on very little, and some of us get along on very much.
Old 16-09-2011, 18:52   #3

My bar tab at the YC here is running at about $200 per week. Yowch! Fuel $0. Groceries maybe $300 per month. This month a new diesel engine $11000. Add it up and weep. In short: who knows??
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2011, 18:58   #4

Well I realize it's a taboo question and I don't mean to be intrusive however maybe this would sound better.. Where can I acquire info one port cost while sailing in the south pacific and visa cost is it better to have a home berth or just stay sailing what's the average cost of dry docking so one can repaint or service the vessel ??? Are these valid questions ?
Old 16-09-2011, 19:33   #5
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snkr View Post
Where can I acquire info one port cost while sailing in the south pacific and visa cost is it better to have a home berth or just stay sailing what's the average cost of dry docking so one can repaint or service the vessel ???
Again, it depends. The bigger the boat, the more it costs.
Old 16-09-2011, 19:37   #6
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i usually spend 500 pesos on foodstuffs, if i dont have to buy coffee...ouch... and i usually spend nothing on slip rent, but in named storm season, 350usd per month marina rent....if i dont have to buy fuel and large parts i am good under 600 dollars.
just depends on the month. i cannot go over a set amount, as my income is fixed.
so far, in mexico, all is good.
info on port costs in south pacific should be in noonsite.
visa costs should be in noonsite
hauling costs different everywhere. depends on length and where ye are
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2011, 20:26   #7

Thank you zeehag now Iam gather some actual information, the reason I am asking this particular question is to plan out a few years on the ocean then work a little then sail again just to enjoy life on my terms not some corporation
Old 16-09-2011, 20:44   #8

Re: How to Stay Afloat

.smooth sailing.
Old 17-09-2011, 00:48   #9

Boat: Catalina 42 Pacific cruise to Australia

Quote:
Hi everyone, so I'm 40 married and have 4 years till the kids are out of the nest, I'm originally from the west coast and love the briney blue unfortunately I'm in the prairies making my little fortune so I to can live on a boat and sail at least 6 of the 7 sea's lol. Anyways I hate to ask but I gotta it's part of my home work in prep to our new life onboard, for those of you who live onboard and don't spend a lot of mulla but sail on long voyages can you please give me an idea on what type of money per month one can do this on?????

Lots of info for you if you look up top of page (top right) click on SEARCH just below blue " world cruising and sailing wiki" and type in " cruising on $500 per month".....hours of reading for you.... just click search and type.....go for it!
Jamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2011, 04:24   #10
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddle View Post
My bar tab at the YC here is running at about $200 per week. Yowch! Fuel $0. Groceries maybe $300 per month. This month a new diesel engine $11000. Add it up and weep. In short: who knows??

$200/week at the bar and $300/month for food, got to have your priorites
Old 17-09-2011, 05:11   #11
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:

Ohhh i thought you meant 'keep the BOAT afloat!'

I was going to say, "Keep the water out ..."
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2011, 05:17   #12
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: How to Stay Afloat

Quote:
If just 2.... $1000/mth should do you fine... times you'll spend a tad more others less... just have a seperate holding tank for emergency's.... and top up again after use ASAP...

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2011, 09:46   #13

prioritizing repairs is important in order to keep going....most important on down to wants and dreams..all is possible, but neeeds a lil planning sometimes....
Old 17-09-2011, 10:22   #14

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
(...) can you please give me an idea on what type of money per month one can do this on?????
Look into another thread here. I think it is titled 'cruising on 500 a month' (or alike, use search function).

I can easily sail on with 500 USD per crew of two, some cannot with 5k per capita and so on and forth. Probably it takes as much as you have.

Another nice take is that it will cost you as much as your land life costs you right now. The landscape changes but we seem to drag our needs, lifestyles and habits along.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2011, 13:50   #15

You guys are awesome thanks for all the info, hope to meet some of you in the travels.