Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-01-2020, 09:53   #31
rbk

Boat: T37
Re: Human Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Adeline View Post
It slips my mind the specific person, but recently on local news there was a story of what I would call a "con man" arrested. They displayed his public court cases covering some 10-15 years and I was struck by some headers IE: 2002 civil case: charge theft of property >$70k; petitioner withdrew the case. IE: 2005 civil case: charge theft of property >$25k; petitioner withdrew the case. ETC.. There were close to a dozen, some judgements but most were dropped.
They knew they would probably never see their property again, but the court records are forever and they show a pattern.
Yes and almost all civil matters are of public record. It’s unlikely the judge would pull civil records but that is something a person could do on their own but it takes time. Judges love to see regular joes doing their due diligence in these matters. I’ve seen civil cases where the plaintiff came unprepared or unaware only to have the judge send them on their way to do more work. Come prepared, impress the judge and you’ll find things will go in your favour. But do not get cocky or demanding.
Old 14-01-2020, 09:57   #32

Boat: Allied Princess 36 MKII

rbk,
In the Commonwealth, are court cases considered public information? Here in the U.S. anyone can pull up such records for any reason, and it's a booming business for companies that offer *background* checks to help you decide who to hire for your business, rent an apartment to, babysit your kids, take on a date, OMG the list is endless.
But most of these records are online and free for anyone willing to dig a little.

*Edit: sorry, you answered my question while I was asking.
Old 14-01-2020, 09:59   #33
rbk

Quote:
It slips my mind the specific person, but recently on local news there was a story of what I would call a "con man" arrested. They displayed his public court cases covering some 10-15 years and I was struck by some headers IE: 2002 civil case: charge theft of property >$70k; petitioner withdrew the case. IE: 2005 civil case: charge theft of property >$25k; petitioner withdrew the case. ETC.. There were close to a dozen, some judgements but most were dropped.
They knew they would probably never see their property again, but the court records are forever and they show a pattern.
It’s also possible that items/funds were returned and the case was settled out of court. I bet that guy was on the cops radar though. You really need to play the legal game with these types. They use it to their advantage so you have to do the same.
Old 14-01-2020, 10:37   #34
rbk

Quote:
rbk,
In the Commonwealth, are court cases considered public information? Here in the U.S. anyone can pull up such records for any reason, and it's a booming business for companies that offer *background* checks to help you decide who to hire for your business, rent an apartment to, babysit your kids, take on a date, OMG the list is endless.
But most of these records are online and free for anyone willing to dig a little.

*Edit: sorry, you answered my question while I was asking.
Most criminal cases are not only to protect the victims. It varies from case to case. Again most civil matters are public and anyone can sit and observe. Criminal record checks are available at request but many times details are hidden.
Old 14-01-2020, 17:32   #35

A civil settlement has no impact on the guys criminal record.

It can impact his credit report but...if he's a conman, he likely doesn't care. Also, you have to file with the credit reporting agencies for it to show up (not an automatic thing). Then it's not hard to make it go away. He disputes it with the agency. You don't need any proof to dispute and the burden is on the creditor to prove it. Unless you follow up to confirm it, it goes away.

So if you want to take on a social justice case for the good of society, have at it. If you think this guy will ever be impacted or care...not likely.
Old 14-01-2020, 17:42   #36

Boat: chris craft 55' constelation

Thanks Valhalla
Yes - the more I get into this - the more I become aware that 'Right' does not have might!
The police aren't interested, although he still has my motors and will not grant me access to them 'trespass' -- he seems to be just sitting there with his finger in the air -- and a big cheesy grin on his face!
I was amazed the the police said 'the biggest liar will win' - and another - 'have you got any bikey mates?'

They even know - that this is little they or I - can do ---

Doesn't it make you sleep well at night, to know that 'Law and Order' reigns over us -- yeah right!!

Gbmacca
Old 14-01-2020, 17:53   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbmacca View Post
Thanks Valhalla
Yes - the more I get into this - the more I become aware that 'Right' does not have might!
The police aren't interested, although he still has my motors and will not grant me access to them 'trespass' -- he seems to be just sitting there with his finger in the air -- and a big cheesy grin on his face!
I was amazed the the police said 'the biggest liar will win' - and another - 'have you got any bikey mates?'

They even know - that this is little they or I - can do ---

Doesn't it make you sleep well at night, to know that 'Law and Order' reigns over us -- yeah right!!

Gbmacca
Makes you wonder some times if debtor's prison was such a bad idea (and before someone jumps on it, I'm not suggesting we do).

Unfortunately a lot of rules that had good reason originally have been twisted until they make no sense. My comments aren't to suggest I like the situation but just looking at the reality. If you can figure a way to get the engines back, cut your losses...get them and move on.
Old 14-01-2020, 17:59   #38

Thanks guys for all your informative responses - although - they daunt me!

I have been involved in several court cases over the many years of business and have never gone to court unless I believed I was 110% in the right - but to loose! Unbelievable!
Or, when trying to reclaim moneys, having in the long run - to pay out more than what was owed - due to 'Solicitor's Letters' etc etc dragging on for years.

As one blogger said, the legal fraternity - is a self funding, self perpetuating entity and I get really peed off, when a judge finally retires, he criticises our legal systems!

No wonder 'Vigilantism' is on the rise!
Cheers

Gbmacca
Old 14-01-2020, 18:02   #39
rbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
So if you want to take on a social justice case for the good of society, have at it. If you think this guy will ever be impacted or care...not likely.
This is another option you can explore as well. Take to social media and local media with the details and let everyone know. Watch what you say and keep to the facts, he will run out of business and if local media picks it up they can do serious damage (more likely if others are invoked) Most con artists rely on you giving up and word not spreading. There is a couple of guys here in Canada that have run off with (I think) over 500k in peoples money through a construction company, taking deposits and billing for material and work not completed, the usual. People took to social media and other victims banded together, went to the media now it’s a national story. Public opinion and pressure makes up a part of our legal system and if enough public pressure to presume charges mount the crown will look into it.
We also had a similar fellow here doing the same thing. Taking parts off others engines he was working on and selling them to other customers as new then billing for damaged (aka missing) parts, shoddy work as well as financing (In house) new engines from local dealers and not paying, skipped child support payments you name it . He skipped town, then the country, haven’t seen it heard from him in several years but he is well known now among the community including the authorities.
Old 14-01-2020, 20:56   #40

Yes - public forum is a most positive attack on these people.

I once, whilst I was in a country town, saw a car driving around, with 'Joe Blogs, worked on my computer and I paid him $3000 - and it never worked'

Straight - to the point - with no embellishments or libelous innuendos.

He got his computer fixed.

It is an avenue I will be looking at but think - this guy has very few friends and seems to work by himself - for himself.

Cheers

Gbmacca
Closed Thread