Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-08-2012, 12:51   #211

Boat: Camano Troll 31'
Re: I Have Pulled the Trigger !

I have been living aboard for 8 1/2 months now. Still find it to be the best way to live, for me. I don't feel the least bit constrained by the size of my living space, the world is my back yard. How much room do you really need? Made more friends in this time aboard than I did in the same amount of time on shore, and much more diverse. Had a great time at a Crab Boil last night.
Old 21-08-2012, 13:43   #212

Boat: IP32 ~Whimsy~

Well Don, I have sat here most of the afternoon and read this entire thread. What a story! I'm very happy for you. Blessings the rest of the way.
angelfish2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2012, 14:34   #213
jwr
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelfish2 View Post
Well Don, I have sat here most of the afternoon and read this entire thread. What a story! I'm very happy for you. Blessings the rest of the way.
Don, if you are going to Jacksonville.. If you are looking for a marina there is one on the the st. johns river called Ortega Landing only $9.00 a foot...the only problem is you have to motor in which will take about three and half hours....
We have had our boat there for two and half years working on it. The only trip we have had is going to Cumberland and Ferindina Beach. We are still working so our time to journey is very limited. How long will you be in Jacksonville?
jwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2012, 11:24   #214
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Corbin 39

Hi Don, I have also read this thread from the start and most congratulate you on doing something that most just talk about! It sounds like you have made the correct calls so far!! I myself have only been sailing a couple of years but did a few courses inc RYA Day Skipper, just need to shift this www.pubinspain.mijasgraphics.com to finance our boat purchase, we then hope to spend at least 6 months here in Southern Spain before crossing over to join you guys over the pond! Florida is on our list as have loved visiting the keys on land several times! Wishing you all the best for your future sailing and lets hope you soon have that warm sun on your back..
pablothesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2012, 04:07   #215

As I have said I am on the ICW in Socastee, SC. This is over 30 miles from an ocean inlet and on a narrow twisting passage, therefore I have to motor for the first day and an half before getting to the ocean. I may be able to sail a bit in Winyah Bay, if the wind is right.
Old 27-08-2012, 15:43   #216

Boat: Bayliner 3870 41' oal.
Glad to see your posting again.
River Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2012, 16:53   #217

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don1500 View Post
As I have said I am on the ICW in Socastee, SC. This is over 30 miles from an ocean inlet and on a narrow twisting passage, therefore I have to motor for the first day and an half before getting to the ocean. I may be able to sail a bit in Winyah Bay, if the wind is right.

Once you are actually out there doing it it is much harder to sit in a chair and post/read CF isn't it?
Old 27-08-2012, 17:22   #218
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
Once you are actually out there doing it it is much harder to sit in a chair and post/read CF isn't it?
very true.....too busy fixing the boat
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2012, 17:37   #219
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

what ever you do Don dont fall overboard,I saw some pictures of catfish down there and the fish required 3 men to hold it but thats not what you have got to look out for, its the women,yes the woman in that part of the country catch those big catfish,with there hands!Hate to think what they would do if they was to catch you down there in the water...LoL...Fair winds..DVC
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2012, 17:43   #220

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
what ever you do Don dont fall overboard,I saw some pictures of catfish down there and the fish required 3 men to hold it but thats not what you have got to look out for, its the women,yes the woman in that part of the country catch those big catfish,with there hands!Hate to think what they would do if they was to catch you down there in the water...LoL...Fair winds..DVC

Have you for dinner eh?

or desert.
Old 28-08-2012, 15:13   #221

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
I know about them woman! They're everywhere!
Old 31-08-2012, 10:45   #222
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Don, I noticed the recommendation for Ortega Landing Marina above for $9/ft. We've been there and it's OK, but I would choose the Fleming Island Marina in Orange Park for about $2/ft less and more casual accomodations. There is the factor of protection though. The Flemming Island Marina is not located in a place where I would choose to leave my boat for a hurricane or even a major tropical storm. We will be arriving in Jax early November. We've been up to Maine since I last saw you at Myrtle Beach.
Old 31-08-2012, 12:59   #223
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
Don, I noticed the recommendation for Ortega Landing Marina above for $9/ft. We've been there and it's OK, but I would choose the Fleming Island Marina in Orange Park for about $2/ft less and more casual accomodations. There is the factor of protection though. The Flemming Island Marina is not located in a place where I would choose to leave my boat for a hurricane or even a major tropical storm. We will be arriving in Jax early November. We've been up to Maine since I last saw you at Myrtle Beach.
Hi CaptForce,

I have been looking for a marina on the St Johns myself so checked the web site for Flemming Island. Is this it? Fleming Island Club & Marina

If so, the rate sheet on the web site shows $9.00/ft monthly or $8.30/ft per month with an annual lease. If you know of a cheaper spot am interested.

So far the cheapest I have found was around Green Cove Springs which is almost 40 miles from the ocean and that was still $8.00/ft.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 13:40   #224

I will start south around the 15th. Need to stop for a couple of days to get the hull painted, want to look my best when Iget to Fla. Anyone know a good place to get her painted (bottom & sides) in South Carolina / Georgia?
Old 02-09-2012, 15:27   #225
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Hey Don, I spend ten months of the year away from Jacksonville so I can't say that I keep up wth the rates at all the marinas. Shop around! I highly recommend Fleming Island Marina, but rates do change! Anything in the Ortega River is better during hurricane season, but by November the marinas like Fleming Island look very good!

Tags
paracelle