Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2011, 08:16   #106

Boat: Camano Troll 31'
Re: I Have Pulled the Trigger !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimsy View Post
I am so very happy for you Don! I think the right boat found you.
Thanks, hope to see you on the blue sometime soon!
Old 11-12-2011, 14:17   #107
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

I see that Matt and Christie have updated their blog, Don. I don't know if you had seen this or not?

s/v Kaleo

Stay warm, man!
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2011, 17:23   #108

I am now in Hampton Va, The Salt Ponds Marina. We came down Saturday, 20 hours so it was a night trip. We had a full moon, clear skies, and lots of very cold wind. 15-25 with gusts to 30. 2nd reef all the way. seas 3-5 feet, Avg. 5.7 knts. We ran aground (thick mud) in the first 5 minutes, tow insurance pays off quick! Always get the GOLD package! No other incidents, we managed to make it all the way without wanting to throw anyone overboard.

This was my first trip "in command" and my first night passage of over 100 miles. I had fun, no matter how "bad" it was. I actually think doing it during the day would not have been as much fun.

One other note: Neptune was good to us, when I think of how we did what we did I cringe. We could have been killed or worse. But that is lessons learned now. Get the jack lines out early, get in harness. Reef earlier.
Old 13-12-2011, 17:55   #109
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don1500 View Post
Get the jack lines out early, get in harness. Reef earlier.
Rig the jack lines before you're underway.
Old 13-12-2011, 17:57   #110

Boat: Beneteau 393

Don,

Glad you had a successful first trip! Sounds like you had fun in spite of some adversity. When I think back to my first trip in our boat from N. Vancouver to Everett, WA I get a chuckle about how much I did wrong in hindsight. But damn that was a fun trip in spite of my cluelessness. Maybe in 3 more years I will laugh at what I am doing now! Please keep filling us in on your adventures!

Frank
GeoPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2011, 22:26   #111

Boat: Islander Freeport 41' Ketch

Man, I enjoyed reading this! Your excitement and angst grew and grew and grew and could be felt by all and in the end you made it! You Made It! Mud and all, you made it, and I can't wait to hear more. I have to tell you, Don, this thread was like reading a really good book. I don't know why, but that survey in the distant and coming future had me on the edge of my chair. Is something going to go wrong? Will our hero prevail? You made it, boy, as all the good ones do! Don't keep us hanging now...I want more, but take your time. Like you said, racing is not part of the deal these days. Have fun.
ty.gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2011, 01:06   #112

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27

Quote:
when I think of how we did what we did I cringe. We could have been killed or worse.

I've thought of that in places I've been in Afghanistan. Get to a certain hilltop in the middle of the night during a convoy, day time comes up and everyone looks around wondering "how the hell did we get here?"

Still ended up having fun no matter what happens. Good job in the sail. Sounds like you're off to a good start.
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2011, 01:31   #113

Quote:
Opps, I forgot.
Congratulations Don on your beautiful boat! So glad to read your first journey was a success. Will you keep a blog to update everyone of your exploits?

Serena
Old 14-12-2011, 01:34   #114

Doh! OK. I didn't see the link to your blog ~ which I'm now reading.

Eh-hem...

S
Old 14-12-2011, 08:00   #115

Boat: Negotiating purchase of 2nd hand yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to Mexdon

Don, I have just read in your blog that you learned weathermen LIE. I learned that about sixty years ago when I first started to sail on the Waitemata harbour. The expression I liked most on the boating forecast was "winds will be variable" loosely translated that they did not have a efing clue where or what. For me as a child I decided they were the only people who get paid to lie constantly.

Still listen to them but prefer to trust my barometer and trying to read the clouds.

Congrats on you journey to Va. Many more interesting trips will follow.
When I was a boy my momma would send me down to the corner store with $1 and I would come back with 5 potatoes, 2 loaves of bread, 3 bottles of milk, a hunk of cheese, a box of tea and 6 eggs. Can't do that now, too many f**kn security cameras.
Mexdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2011, 21:35   #116

Boat: Hunter Legend 40

I have been looking for over a year and not even close. I am currently fixated on a boat in L.A. The questions I have if buying a boat in California are the taxes and fees. I can feel the vultures descending. A money pit crosses my mind. Brokers that are glib and don't answer questions. I guess they feel put out. Anyway, good luck with your new beaut

I'm wet nurse to a last place dead to the neck up ball club and I'm choking to death.
gpshephe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2011, 21:39   #117

Boat: Hunter Legend 40

Quote:
I am now in Hampton Va, The Salt Ponds Marina. We came down Saturday, 20 hours so it was a night trip. We had a full moon, clear skies, and lots of very cold wind. 15-25 with gusts to 30. 2nd reef all the way. seas 3-5 feet, Avg. 5.7 knts. We ran aground (thick mud) in the first 5 minutes, tow insurance pays off quick! Always get the GOLD package! No other incidents, we managed to make it all the way without wanting to throw anyone overboard.

This was my first trip "in command" and my first night passage of over 100 miles. I had fun, no matter how "bad" it was. I actually think doing it during the day would not have been as much fun.

One other note: Neptune was good to us, when I think of how we did what we did I cringe. We could have been killed or worse. But that is lessons learned now. Get the jack lines out early, get in harness. Reef earlier.
Hahahaha, first trip under your command and you grounded her. Sounds like something I'd do.

I'm wet nurse to a last place dead to the neck up ball club and I'm choking to death.
gpshephe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2011, 05:46   #118

I am staying at the Salt Ponds Marina for about a month, preparing for the trip south. I really don't "plan" on stopping anywhere for very long so I don't have a destination. This year will be a trip south, turn around and head north. Just kind of getting my feet wet. My next hop will be to Coinjock on the ICW. If anyone is going that way around Jan 1-10 let me know, I would love the company, and the experienced direction!
Old 15-12-2011, 06:47   #119

Boat: 1974 Cal 29

Way to go Don!

I, too, grounded during my first trip- and my second! Got pulled off the first time and had to wait to float off the second. My previous sailing experience (beach catamarans) does not translate well to the keelboat. Need to get that depth gauge working....
Seafarer24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2011, 12:24   #120

Boat: Wittholz 39' Cutter by Kanter, CSY 37 Cutter
pirate Re: I Have Pulled the Trigger !

Congradulations Don, as you travel south try to stop in Cocoa Beach, FL and Jeanne and I will by you a drink, might even find you something to eat. We are glad everything has worked out well for you and you finally in a boat of your dreams.
brutb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paracelle