Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-07-2011, 04:47   #16

Re: If You Returned to Land - Why ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingNwing View Post
Hey, if the same question was posted at SailNet, do I get to copy and paste the same question to both forums, too? <*insert emoticon for good-natured ribbing here*> Actually, I'm reposting here because the one posted at Sailnet hasn't gotten much traction.

You missed one, Tux. This month we're helping very good cruising friends move off their boat after 10 years to buy a house on land. Their reason? "We accomplished our cruising plans, learned what we wanted to in this cruising life, and are seeking new adventures."
Oops, sorry Tux, that was supposed to be Hey, if the same question was posted at SailNet, do I get to copy and paste the same answer to both forums, too? <*insert emoticon for good-natured ribbing here*> Aack, gotta remember to proofread my posts.

Seriously, though, we've had numerous friends whose decision to leave cruising was made for them - medical issues, aging, money ran out, in one case the boat nearly sank. So its been very interesting to be with people who have few/no tinges of wistfulness as they put the boat on the market and make plans for a different future.
wingNwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2011, 05:53   #17

College and grad school tuition; now she's on her own, we're outta here again.
Hannah on 'Rita T' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2011, 06:04   #18

Boat: Endeavour 37

Realized that living on board at a marina and living on board while cruising are two different animals. I've done a good bit of coastal cruising and for me the inconviences of cruising are dwarfed by the benefits derived, not so much if tied to the dock the majority of the time. Also, I suppose the daily shock of going from the relaxed atmosphere of the boat to the intensity of the courtroom and the stress of practicing law where too much. The last thing I wanted to do on the weekend was to go to a laundry mat. Lastly, when two folks are living on a 37 footer, it was really difficult to make major upgrades and/or repairs on the boat. We both can't wait to move back on board, but this time without the land based obligations, such as that silly thing called a job. I am currently scowering the want ads for Sailboat Bum jobs and it appears that the demand is on the low side not to mention the pay. In the mean time, we're building up the cruising kitty, making the necessary upgrades and sailing/coastal cruising as much as possible, but not necessarily in that order.
pjop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2011, 07:14   #19

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42

Came back to re-group.. get all that "first-timers" crap off the boat.. doing a little re-fit and will be headed out again soon......
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2011, 07:36   #20
cruiser

took too many pets aboard. in the future too many will be defined as "any".
by the time we can maybe try again will be a terminal trawler and live the great loop
Noname1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2011, 07:40   #21
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

For us the problem was commuting. Our commute during the ten years we lived aboard meant that we couldn't keep the boat where we wanted it. And it was a lousy commute between the marina and the university where I teach. I ended up getting an apartment on campus, and we moved the boat to Sausalito. When school is in session we spend four nights a week on campus and three nights a week aboard. When school is not in session, the great majority of our time is spent aboard.
Old 28-07-2011, 08:21   #22
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

School - I went back for my under and grad work (both late in life). Hardest thing I ever had to do.

Commuting from Annapolis to Baltimore to my day job wasn't too bad though when I was stocking the cruising kitty at times.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote