Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-12-2012, 14:38   #31

Re: Im Moving to Sea and Torn

As said earlier, the budget breakers on the basic boat are: Sails, Engine, rigging. Other possible big $ items are: wet deck core, blisters/rudder issues, bolt on keels, tankage bad. Find the best boat with those things in good shape and the rest is easier. (actually, you could sail the caribe with bad blisters and many are with wet core unknowingly!)

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2012, 15:09   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
As said earlier, the budget breakers on the basic boat are: Sails, Engine, rigging. Other possible big $ items are: wet deck core, blisters/rudder issues, bolt on keels, tankage bad..........
It's probably best to have a variety of opinions here. There's no question that Cheechako is correct that big money needs decrease the value of a boat, but then it's these very things that make a boat cheap. I'd never suggest buying a boat with all these problems and I would not take on the problems with the hull,- keel, blisters, rudder; however, over the years that I've owned my current boat I have replaced the sails and the stays & shrouds and the engine and the fuel tanks and more. If you are able to find a boat for a reduced price that is lacking one of these things you can often refit the repair with less than the diminished cost of the boat.
Old 21-12-2012, 16:53   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post

I agree with avoiding major work, but I'd rather buy a sound boat with a engine that needs replacing for 15K, than a sound boat for 25K with an old marginal diesel. I would do well with taking out the old engine and having the time to prep and refit all the engine room area, then have the new diesel installed. 'end up with the same 25K, but new engine.
That was the plan, buy the cheaper but more solid boat, preferably with newer sails and rigging, and a somewhat fresh bottom job. And end up with the 25K boat after all is said and done. Right now I have about 30 boats saved to my bookmarks, most in fair to good shape.
Rico_Leprichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2012, 17:03   #34

Boat: O'Day 28
Re: Im moving to sea and torn

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTwilight View Post
More space and size is always good. My mantra is slightly orthogonal to this:

Always buy the smallest boat that will accommodate everything you need. (Not everything you want)
Haha. Thanks for the chuckle.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2012, 02:39   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

The point made by Blue Crab above seems to be especially important for those first moving from a land space to a boat. Most that are moving from houses or apartments tend to overestimate the amount of interior space that is required for comfort on a boat.
Old 22-12-2012, 07:57   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
The point made by Blue Crab above seems to be especially important for those first moving from a land space to a boat. Most that are moving from houses or apartments tend to overestimate the amount of interior space that is required for comfort on a boat.
I'm not worried about the space for my stuff, my belongings pretty much consist of my desktop, laptop, guitar, compound bow, some clothes and my dog. Oh, and my fishing rod. As far as comfort, shelter from the elements and a place to sleep and cook is bout all I need.
Rico_Leprichan is offline   Reply With Quote