Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-08-2014, 07:39   #31

Re: Im new to Sailing and would like to become a Liveabord

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDreamer View Post
welcome aboard!

My opinion for what's worth(and you know what they say about Free advice)...is that buying a small boat to learn on is a waste of time and money...unless you can't afford to go right into the bigger live aboard right off.
I agree and disagree! I bought a small boat complete with trailer, outboard motor, and all necessary accessories for $1000. The lessons that I've learned on that boat (and I'm not done with it), would've cost me at least $1000 to learn on a live aboard-sized boat. With the lower storage fees, I'm far ahead $-wise. Plus, I get the sailing skills aquisition advantage of a small, responsive boat that goes in light air when the big boys stay at the dock or need to motor.

On the other hand, SeaDreamer's post has me thinking that I might just skip the intermediate-size boat, buy a live aboard, and start living on it even before I'm ready to quit my job. Getting rid of the house mortgage and all the maintenance would more than pay for a good-sized boat.
jwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2014, 08:09   #32

Boat: 40' Northstar 80/20

I don't know how 'cruisable' they are, but if you're looking for something comfy in the 20' ft range, the Sirius 21' sounds sort of like what you're looking for.

SIRIUS 21/22 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

Small, trailerable... they remind me of those little tent trailers. Except it's a boat. I'm really not too fond of MacGregors and the like, and I don't have any experience with them, but they must have been popular because they're friggin' everywhere. Just make sure it's not a fixed keel.

Mind you, even finding a little boat like this is going to cost you a decent chunk of change.
Old 19-08-2014, 09:13   #33

There are plenty of good, sailable trailer boats available for less than $2000. Look on sailboatlistings.com and searchtempest.com.

My opinion is that trailer sloops (one of my requirements) are all quite similar within two categories: some are more sporty, meaning more complex rigging and planing hulls; others are more more family-oriented, simpler rigs, and more stable. My thinking was to choose which category (the latter for me), define my price range (<$2000), and then find a boat that I could sail the very day I bought it. NO PROJECT BOAT! I ended up with an O'Day Mariner just by chance of what was available when I was shopping. I'm satisfied with it and I think that I would feel the same with most, if not all, the sailboats that fit my criteria. In other words, don't get hung up on a particular maker or model.

In small boats, age doesn't matter as much as condition. A good owners' association is worth a lot and is usually indicative of a popular and plentiful boat model that has held up over the years.
jwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2014, 15:25   #34

Boat: Pearson P30 30 ft

There is currently a 24' sailboat,trailer and an almost new outboard for sale in my marina for $1600. Only thing it needs is bottom scrape and paint. Looks fine, sorry I dont know what builder.
wsulli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2014, 15:48   #35

Boat: PSC 37

I think you're very smart to start small. You can do a lot of great cruising in a small boat, especially if you are going someplace like the Chesapeake.

Some boats to consider:

Catalina 22 -- sails pretty well, there are a million of them out there and parts are available, plus they trailer well. The volkswagen of sailing.
Small Hunter, O'day, San Juan, or Compac. All of these would fit the bill quite well.

If you're trailering regularly, take a good look at the trailer as well as the boat. Nothing worse than a bad trailer. You also want the boat to be easy to launch and pull. If it takes you 4 hours to step the mast and rig, you're not likely to use it much. Look for simplicity.

I cruised all over the west coast of Florida in an old Morgan 22 that we got for $2500. It served us very well and we learned a ton with it. The shallow draft allowed us to use anchorages other boats couldn't, and when it ran aground, I just jumped out and pushed us off! Our mistakes were cheap. We eventually moved up to a Pearson 28, and got all our money back on the Morgan. Small is beautiful!

Can't wait to hear what you get.
jangann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2014, 03:53   #36

Boat: Hunter Legend 40
Re: Im new to Sailing and would like to become a liveabord

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Blake.

You might take note that we a a CRUISING Forum, not a cursing forum.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 21-08-2014, 03:55   #37

Boat: Hunter Legend 40
Re: Im new to Sailing and would like to become a liveabord

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTSmith View Post

Actually, my experiences aboard would suggest that the two - cruising and cursing - tend to go hand in hand. ;-)

Tags
sail, sailing