Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2018, 10:18   #16

Boat: Pearson 34-2
Re: In the spirit of "Go small, go now".

Thank you for sharing! Great video!
fred4936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 10:28   #17

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 32

Oh, just for the record, I was already involved in another discussion about a 27 footer, and my take was "its not too small - its just convenient sized !"

But definitely better to go now, since we have no guarantee of tomorrow !!

OldManMirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 15:26   #18

Congratulations. But I bet you have created much angst among those who dream.
What is apparent is that you seem to project a "can do, will do " attitude. It shines through.
billgewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 16:08   #19

Boat: BEALE33

This resonates completely with us! We are upgrading ‘Excel’ a Beale 33ft for a trip from Picton, New Zealand to Tonga leaving this May.
She is a cruise racer and we have been harbour / coastal racing for 4 years, now we want to go off shore. We are both experienced off shore sailors so decided to take the boat we know and go now!! Mostly our outfitting is to meet NZ safety standard of category 1 which can be found on Yaching New Zealand website. This is a requirement to clear customs before leaving. Love “ Go small, Go now” cheers
felicityloncar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 16:28   #20

Boat: Roberts 45

Nice pics! And yes, was too quick to read at times. Maybe a voice over?

Keep going!

https://www.timantra.net
hzcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 16:47   #21

Boat: 37 Tayana Pilot House

First thank you for your service, my fellow shipmate, Corpsman here. Great video, stopped to read the text cause it was good, I did not want to miss what you had to say.

What many do not realize is the cost difference, between your 27 and my 37, gear wise, its amazing how much more things cost for my boat.

Cheers keep um coming,

Pop's
navysurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 17:33   #22

Well done! Looking forward to your next video. I will have to brush up on my speed reading😂
medevicerep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 02:05   #23

Boat: Nauticat 32

I like the approach "go with a small boat but make it good"
Juho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 07:00   #24

Boat: 81 Hunter Cherubini 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by navysurfer View Post
What many do not realize is the cost difference, between your 27 and my 37, gear wise, its amazing how much more things cost for my boat.
Navysurfer, thank you SIR for your service as well. My watch ended long ago but you are still out there. BZ to you and everyone else out there still on watch.

And yes, the cost differences are vastly different between a 27 and 37-footer. One of the reasons that I went with a smaller boat. My cruising budget is my Navy retirement so that I don't have to touch my savings. The other thing is that sailboats of the kind that I own are pretty affordable to purchase, although outfitting can get pricey...but that's any boat. With that being said, I keep enough in my emergency funds so that if I happen to lose this boat for any reason I can just purchase a similar one, salvage what I can from this one, and keep moving on.

Always good to have a "Plan B, C, D..."
Old 10-02-2018, 07:19   #25

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by navysurfer View Post
Tecky man did a great job going from zero to hero in a short time, but it can be done for around 10K with a tiller driven 27' boat if you have the time and experience and live near the coast
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 07:44   #26

Boat: 81 Hunter Cherubini 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Tecky man did a great job going from zero to hero in a short time, but it can be done for around 10K with a tiller driven 27' boat if you have the time and experience and live near the coast
LOL, Tis true that it can be done for less that what I've spent. I tend to over-engineer things (Do I really need 4 bilge pumps?). New sails from Doyle were my largest expenditure at just under $5K (Main, 110 Jib and 65% Storm Jib). The new propeller however, was $45 from a consignment shop in Hampton, Va. The wheel pilot was payment for rebuilding an engine harness on someone's boat.

Can be done for less, no doubt. Oh, and I have the time, the experience AND live near the coast! Now am off to the beach in New Smyrna, Fla.

Best
Old 10-02-2018, 07:55   #27

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknishn View Post
LOL, Tis true that it can be done for less that what I've spent. I tend to over-engineer things (Do I really need 4 bilge pumps?). New sails from Doyle were my largest expenditure at just under $5K (Main, 110 Jib and 65% Storm Jib). The new propeller however, was $45 from a consignment shop in Hampton, Va. The wheel pilot was payment for rebuilding an engine harness on someone's boat.

Can be done for less, no doubt. Oh, and I have the time, the experience AND live near the coast! Now am off to the beach in New Smyrna, Fla.

Best
I paid $1,600 to have my new 8 oz main built in 2012 when Baxter was still open in Norfolk. Did you order your sails out of Hampton? Deltaville?

My boat already had a good 120 jib and storm jib.......plus 5 anchors/rode, VHF, GPS, Depth, Dodger etc, but I did have to replace the diesel with a new outboard which was $1,500.00

There was a guy at my dock that paid $400.00 for his used main from Bacon's in Annapolis for his Catalina 27. the sail looked great but was probably a 5 oz or so
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sail.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	163839  
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 09:28   #28

Teknishn, any marina recommendations in New Smyrna?
medevicerep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 09:44   #29

I have said this many times before on CF, but it relates to this thread. I did a 2 year cruise Mexico, Marquesas, Tahiti, Hawaii in an engineless 26 footer. 10 years later I had a Peterson 44 in the Caribbean , inboard diesel, hot and cold water, fridge and freezer and lots of comfort. I was spending almost as much per month to live as I had spent per year in the 26 foot boat. The bigger the boat, the WAY BIGGER the costs. I agree with "Go small, Go now". Good On You. ____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 10:05   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknishn View Post
Hello All,
This post is kinda-sorta aimed at those that are thinking about living aboard a small boat. I've been living comfortably aboard my little '81 Hunter 27 for about 10 months now and have sailed it from the Chesapeake Bay to Florida.
Thanks for sharing that.
(btw, 27 ft isn't 'small' )
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote