Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-08-2020, 18:09   #181

Boat: Pacific Seacraft Mariah 31
Re: IS CRUISING DEAD or DYING, STABLE or GROWING?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou-In-NJ View Post
WOW! Good for you! I looked up your boat and it looks beautiful, and what I read about it was impressive...and it sounds like you got a bargain. This goes to my earlier comment in this thread where I said that, instead of trying to build your own dream boat from scratch, I think it makes sense for most people to find a boat close to their specifications, and fit-it-out the way they want because of all the money they'll save on starting with a solid basic boat. And from what I read about your boat, it sounds like you've got over $20k in fiberglass alone! ...that's what I'm talk'n about!

I think with the right income circumstance, and the ability to be in a temperate climate, it can be a very attractive lifestyle.
How do other people your age react when you tell them where you live? Do they have a lot of questions?
I knew from the moment I laid eyes on her she was the one. Abandoned and neglected awash with termites and debris. Bowsprit, sampson posts, and deck core beneath, toast. Compression post, turned to paper and discarded in the bilge.
I started with an Endeavour 32 someone had removed the diesel from and attempted to install a generic 6hp gas motor by way of wooden frame bicycle chain and sprocket..... I happened upon the guy who bought her original 2QM20 on the dock one day. Bought it for $800, rebuilt and installed her.
Oogling the Mariah from my boat for over 2 years it took leaving my job and again happenstancing into the owner, Doctor for the neighboring ambulance service. I started out trying to help her get the boat back up but it was too much for me as side project so I outed myself and my love affair to her shamelessly begging her to take all of my money in exchange for the prize of my eye for many a year. She yielded reluctantly and the rest is all time, 105/205, and wood..
So I'd say just f'n jump in and buy one. You'll learn quick and if you can't enjoy learning it's DEFINITELY not for you. Don't spend your whole life or your whole life saving on your first boat. Get in the know, want the work, and work it out.
If you work hard at something long enough you're bound to get lucky.

As is apparent to me, work ethic and vision are generally on the decline while the natural challenge of the cruising life remains constant. As a check on delusion I sail around, no youngsters to be found. Most seem to think the RV life is more appealing. They see less risk, and seem to view being in the safety net of infrastructure as a benefit.
My dad was 27 when he had me and his dad 29. Two generations of that and your way behind in todays world. Unlike many of my peers I was unwelcome at home during daylight hours, had no use for a cell phone as I was not a business executive, and quickly became a fan of, OTHER PLACES.
I think most people in my generation are comfortable or at least think they would be if it wasn't for their, Bi-polar, Depression, ADHD, too many shrinks, not enough shrinks, magic drug cocktail away from being warren buffet. But EMS tainted my perspective on life for a long time so theres always that...
TheSarahTonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 07:05   #182
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

after be-bopping around the area this past weekend, there is no doubt in my mind, that the small boat market is alive and well....I'm talking your basic 20-30' fishing boat...every public boat ramp I saw was swamped with trucks, trailers and boats.
can't say the same about the sailboat market though, seems dead to me....
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2020, 10:04   #183

Boat: S2 11.0 Aft Cockpit

Thanks for everybody's input, it's all very interesting to me.

Funny enough, I was talking to Realtor and she confirmed what I have been hearing and that is that the market for homes in New Jersey is hot right now. She cites low interest rates, low inventory (shortage of sellers), and people who want to move out of NYC.

I don't get a lot of time during the week to participate in the forum nearly as much as I'd like, but it's been informative, and I hope others have gotten something out of the conversation as well.
Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive....those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. -C.S. Lewis
Lou-In-NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2020, 15:06   #184

Less baby boomers = less cruisers - for now. But I also expect an increase in domestic cruising as people adjust to the realities of COVID (limited vacation spots)and the viability of remote work.
Rennsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2020, 20:57   #185

My passport suddenly arrived today... What a spirit lifting moment. Time to raise islands.
Old 16-08-2020, 08:26   #186

Boat: Looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSarahTonin View Post
My passport suddenly arrived today... What a spirit lifting moment. Time to raise islands.
Hopefully mine will come and I'll be set when the day comes and boarders open.
Old 16-08-2020, 22:02   #187

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
Hopefully mine will come and I'll be set when the day comes and boarders open.
I had almost given up. I applied in February.
Old 17-08-2020, 00:40   #188

Boat: CT 49, 1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
You are lucky to be in a place where 'helping a fellow cruiser' is legal!

In many places, one needs to be very careful taking up a job on another boat. Some administrations are very very nasty to people who ... work.

b.
Yes, stepping on 'locals toes' is seen as taking food out of their kids mouths. They can be a bit protective of their livelihoods.

If we put ourselves in their situatation, we would probably feel the same if a bunch of foreigners came to our country and tried to muscle in on our jobs.

As International travelers IMHO we should contribute to the places we visit.
Q Xopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2020, 00:55   #189

Boat: CT 49, 1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
have you ever checked out a house mortgage payment....or any other long term mortgage or loan...????

it's rigged out the wazoo....!!!

The banks and other loan institutions are NOT your friends....their loans are all connived to earn "them" the most money....at your expense !!

The first few years, all you do is pay the " interest" on your loan, very little goes to the principle...your $1,500/monthly payment....might have $100 going to principle...the remainder goes to " interest" !!.... ie, you might as well, be tossing that money out of a window, it certainly does not go anywhere in your interest.....

It stuns me to hear that people have finally " paid off their house, boat, car, whatever" after 30 years or what ever the length of the loan was...a house that might have cost $100,000 has cost them $400,000 in monthly payments over 30 years.....and even though the house has now " appreciated" to say $150,000.....you have not made $50,000 profit as you might think..ha ha....on the contrary.....you have only reduced your loss to $350,000....

ah, don't get me started here.......
Go to any city, and have a look who has the biggest and swishest buildings. It will be- Banks, Telcos, and Insurance.

Who do we suppose has paid for them?
Q Xopa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising