Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2012, 22:18   #16

Boat: Devlin 48 Moon River & Marshal Catboat
Re: Is Living Aboard A Reality for Me ?

The best sailing experience you can get is free. Look for a crew spot with local raceing fleet. Many skippers are willing to train young strong crew. There is no better way to learn how to really sail. It is not unusual to come across people who have crossed oceans and don't really sail all that well never having to sail under competative pressure or even to windward in many cases.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 01:01   #17

Boat: Columbia 34 mkii

I was in your shoes last year when I bought and moved aboard my Catalina. Once you live at a Marina you will get a lot of chances to sail with your neighbors. I have found that people will even take you out on your boat to teach you how to sail YOUR boat. Which is important.
bajacch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 01:31   #18

Boat: 38' Hughes S&S design

your single and 25 yo. You can do it no problems!
scubascooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 01:35   #19

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27

Do it while you can. I'm 33 and just now working on doing it myself.
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 01:50   #20

Boat: Irwin Citation 34

jasterling has a classic 34 foot boat in your price range. Details are on page 7 of the "negotiations" thread in the Monohull forum
TomandAnitas34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 02:20   #21

Boat: John Pugh / Currawong 48/OAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajacch View Post
I was in your shoes last year when I bought and moved aboard my Catalina. Once you live at a Marina you will get a lot of chances to sail with your neighbors. I have found that people will even take you out on your boat to teach you how to sail YOUR boat. Which is important.

Hey buy the boat move on board and you will have lots of people that will be happy to help you learn on your boat. If you are planning on cruising forget all the sailing school and get your marina buddies to show you the way. Good luck Jacko
Jacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 13:30   #22

Boat: Pearson 323 - Island Breezes

I think there's something to be said for good professional instruction. Instructors know how to teach and will also know what to teach.

For finding at boat in the 10k range, skip yachtworld and keep an eye out on Craigslist for the best buys. Typically good quality low priced boats will end up there first and get snatched up pretty quick.

sailboatlistings.com is also a good site, but it'll have a lot of boats that've sat around for years rotting away.
LauderBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 13:58   #23

Boat: 1973 Morgan O/I 33

Alright. Wow. I cant believe how many responses were on here when i got home from work. Thanks to everybody for input. Its definitely putting wind in my sails. (pardon the pun) I have been and definitely will be spending some time at the marina in the months before i actually get my boat. And please if anybody knows anybody in the daytona area please let them know im willing to lend a hand. Erussellcfi give me some more information. I wouldnt have any problem cruising over to orlando to learn a thing or two. What are rental fees like? Also, it seems like everybody is pushing the maintenance issue. What are the things i should be looking at when looking for a boat. you know. The Go-NoGo's.
JDRichlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 16:09   #24

Boat: PDQ 32 DogHouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart
ST?

FT(SS) over here

FC here.
amytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 16:29   #25

Ha! I was wondering what you guys were talking about with the Ratings. They were just registering as letters until now. was like "What the hell are they talking about?" Then it dawned on me. Shows you how much I payed attention while in the military. I was normally out at the beach surfing or flying. STG2 (sw) I was a surface guy on a DDG in pearl harbor.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:44   #26

When looking at boats I should probably be considering boats that are already in the water first yea? Is this true? Or is it a good way to hide some bottom flaws? How important is a survey when buying an older boat and what should I expect to fork out for one?
Old 07-03-2012, 08:53   #27

1976 Cal 2-27 sailboat for sale in Florida

any opinions?
Old 09-03-2012, 06:27   #28

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36 Cat

Hey JD! Anything that you do becomes your reality! Just advised another would-be that he should do it rather than regret having had the chance and NOT done it.

Just a thought: do the sailing course first (Tortola is an excellent choice) before buying, it will give you a better idea of what you want/need on your own boat and what to look for! (And some extra advice from your instructor......)

Might see you down here in the Caribbean yet!
GypsyGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 17:23   #29

Boat: Smokercraft Promag 172

Hey yall, I am new here, and I am here to learn.
I kinda got this dream about living on a cruiser, for my retirement,,,,,,like a 35 foot long one.
I would sell everything else I owe except my bicycle, and a few personal items, pay cash for a Cruiser, and by then hope I could know how to sail it, I got about 10 years before then.
Any information I can get it appreciated.

Dixie Dog
Dixie Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 04:30   #30

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36 Cat

Dixie Dog: similar advice to JD's, plus a bit. I had a 10-year plan, it took me 12 years....you might want to revise that!
I totally agree on the advice that your first intro to sailing should be with an instructor, for maybe a week-long, first-level course. racing skippers teach you how to race, sailing skippers teach you how to live on, handle and commune with your boat! Then try to go sailing with friends or as crew...as mentioned before, it also gives you a better idea of what sort of boat you want and what you want it fitted out with.
I didn't sell my house until almost last thing and wish I had listened to a friend who said "move into a studio, anything you can't get in there you won't get on your boat!". Wise words, I still had a lot to get rid of.
A bicycle is a good thing, but the usual kind rust so quickly - if you can make the purchase then get a fold-up rust-resistant one.
Now 13 years down the cruising 'road' I have NO regrets, much happiness and will continue as long as I can (ref. thread "how old is too old?"). If I can help in bringing another cruiser into the circle PM me!
GypsyGal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
living aboard