Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-03-2012, 05:20   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Is Living Aboard A Reality for Me ?

JD, I'm reading your posts while anchored here at marker 32 by the Seabreeze Bridge in Daytona. We're just passing through and not spending any shore time here, but I'm thinking of how you can best use the Halifax River. There's not a lot of opportunity in Daytona for sailing a keelboat of much size, but if you're looking for learning opportunities, you have a great resource here for a small 10'-12' little centerboard boat. Nothing will teach you faster than a little boat that gives you an immediate response to all you do. Sure, livingaboard is a great option for you, but you can learn with your own inexpensive small boat in your own "backyard".
Old 13-03-2012, 05:38   #32

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36 Cat

Quote:
"but if you're looking for learning opportunities, you have a great resource here for a small 10'-12' little centerboard boat. Nothing will teach you faster than a little boat that gives you an immediate response to all you do. Sure, livingaboard is a great option for you, but you can learn with your own inexpensive small boat in your own "backyard".
A little sailboat will give you experience in 'switching the rag about' and using the wind, but you don't know what you don't know until you are forced into a position where you realise you don't know it......and hopefully that will not be in your own boat, on your own, way offshore!

I am an advocate for at least SOME training by someone who knows what they are doing!!
GypsyGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 05:57   #33

Boat: Union Polaris 36

Your plan sounds good. Look on sailboatlistings.com, and look at postings up and around the local marinas (maybe even craigslist). I dinghy sailed a bit as a kid, then I bought a 30 ft Catalina. It was a really simple boat mechanically, which made it easy to learn on. IMHO I wouldn't be to worried about the sailing skills, and start reading up an electrical, mechanics, and repair skills. You'll spend way more time working on these than sailing.

We just stopped by Daytona Beach, there were a few boats anchored south of Memorial Bridge which seemed to be there for a long time. Maybe you could live on the hook for free?

Life's a dream, live it!
youmeandthed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 07:26   #34
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDRichlen View Post
Ok, So I know this question has been asked thousands of times here. However, I would like to get into the community and participate in the forum so I will ask it anyways. I recently (3-4 months ago) discovered the possibility of living aboard a small sailboat, and fell in love with the idea. Now what I want to know is if people in the community think that its a possibility for me.

I have been cruising the forums for the past couple months and reading everything possible that i think would apply, and reading alot of these "can I live aboard" posts. So I will give you some background information and what I'm hoping to achieve living aboard. Please keep in mind that I have absolutely no sailing experience. This is another challenge. If anybody could tell me how to get some experience sailing I would greatly appreciate it. I have posted ads at the local marina's offering a hand and to split expenses to anybody that is willing to let me tag along and learn the ropes. I am a navy veteran and have a fair bit of nautical knowledge, just no sailing knowledge.

So these are my basic ideas and parameters. All of which are flexible. Im just getting into this and taking everything slow as I feel I would really enjoy this lifesyle if i can get into it correctly. Im not trying to jump into anything and get over my head.

- I am a single 25yo male
- living in daytona beach, fl and will remain here for a while
- I would plan on getting a slip at one of the local marina's for the convenience of going to school and work.
- I would like to get a boat to live aboard, but also do weekend trips and day sails.
- I would like something that I could sail solo.
- My initial budget for a boat is roughly $10k
- while at the dock I would use shore power and water
- I seem to favor the sloop design for its simplicity over other setups
- initial thoughts are that i would like something between 25-35 ft.
- slip fees in the area seem to be around 8-10$/ft and 50$/month for utilities. which is far less than what I'm paying in rent.

So please any information you could give me would be greatly appreciated. Anything you can offer about getting experience, finding a boat in my budget, if you think i can find a boat in my budget, if you think its possible to learn or grow my knowledge on a 30ish foot sloop, or any advice you can think of. The plan is to, if possible, get experience and find a boat by september of this year. Is this realistic? or do i just have a huge pipe dream?

And thank you so much to anybody that replies.

You have a sweet deal there -- I pay $170 a month extra to live aboard, and I pay my own electricity in addition -- unless, of course, you haven't asked if there's a "live aboard" fee in the marina. There may well be.

At that price range you are very unlikely to get a refrigerator. Can you live with using ice for keeping your food cold? I manage that because Ice is included in my $170 extra a month -- all I need.

You have to be REALLY willing to pare down what you own. Your TV screen won't be as big, and you may have to use an antenna. Of course there are sports bars for those "big games" but IME the sounds of others can really interfere.

Try just living in one small, confined space in your current apartment. Restrict yourself to an ice chest and a small amount of clothes. See if there's still room to do the studying you'll need to do, etc. You'd also be surprised how hard it is to clean in small, confined spaces.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 07:29   #35
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDRichlen View Post
Does anybody know anybody in the Daytona beach area that wouldnt mind talking to me about local issues involved in living aboard? I think having somebody local that could help me along would be a huge help.

Unfortunately, on the east coast of Florida, one of the issues is ... where are you going to sail TO on those wekends?
Old 14-03-2012, 15:11   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
................... You'd also be surprised how hard it is to clean in small, confined spaces.
Well, this does surprise me. We have always thought that "less" is far easier to clean than "more"! What are you doing,....using a long handled broom? I really don't understand,- elaborate, please.
Old 14-03-2012, 15:25   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Unfortunately, on the east coast of Florida, one of the issues is ... where are you going to sail TO on those wekends?
We enjoy great cruising destinations on the West Coast of Florida, but never find less opportunity on the East Coast of Florida. Certainly there a plenty of good deep water inlets on the Florida East Coast and inland protected sailing in the St. Johns River, Indian River, St. Lucie River and Biscayne Bay. Plenty of short day hops between inlets at thirty miles spans or less. Some of our frequent destinations are Fernandina, St. Augustine, GreenCove Springs, Fort Pierce, Stuart, Kitchning Cove, Manatee Pocket, Peck Lake, Fort Lauderdale, Miami, Boca Chita, Sands Key, Elliott Key, Card Sound, Barnes Sound, Cocoa, Melbourne, Dragon Point........ Don't misunderstand me. My list is just as long for Florida's West Coast. Anywhere, there's an answer to your question.
Old 14-03-2012, 18:24   #38

Boat: 1973 Morgan O/I 33

I like your answer capt. and alot of those destinations i have not heard of before. I will need to do some research.
JDRichlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2012, 23:57   #39

Quote:
Try just living in one small, confined space in your current apartment. Restrict yourself to an ice chest and a small amount of clothes. See if there's still room to do the studying you'll need to do, etc. You'd also be surprised how hard it is to clean in small, confined spaces.
That's a very clever and interesting idea!!

As everyone here has been beating their drums over...moving into such a small living space will come as a shock. It shouldn't be too bad or nuthin', but a time will come where you'll definately be saying..."Ohhhhhhhh....THIS is what they were warning me about!!"

btw...if your boat does end up having just an ice box, you can always buy yourself a small 12V traveling size refrigerator. I had one back when I lived on the road in a semi truck. (they work great, and will heat stuff too)

All the best with your dreams!!
Patrick46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2012, 02:00   #40

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27

Quote:
I've seen this advice on other forums for Tiny Houses and living in one room with everything you want/need. I think it's good advice as it relates to boats.
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2012, 05:13   #41
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick46 View Post
That's a very clever and interesting idea!!

As everyone here has been beating their drums over...moving into such a small living space will come as a shock. It shouldn't be too bad or nuthin', but a time will come where you'll definately be saying..."Ohhhhhhhh....THIS is what they were warning me about!!"

btw...if your boat does end up having just an ice box, you can always buy yourself a small 12V traveling size refrigerator. I had one back when I lived on the road in a semi truck. (they work great, and will heat stuff too)

All the best with your dreams!!

I bought one of those 12 v's, and so did a neighbor of mine. Mine lasted longer than theirs, but neither had much staying power. I don't think they're designed to run continuously.

I already got the "space" thing from renting an RV and living in it for two weeks some years ago. It was the land version of being free to travel immediately and easily. It was more space but there were 4 of us ...

What *I* noticed was that I didn't really use that much of the space in my really spacious 1 BR condo. Everything centered around the couch and the rest was mostly "walking space." What I DO miss is the inability to have virtually any of my art I collected over the years aboard. Much of it is pottery, and others media on paper that wouldn't survive the humidity well.
Old 18-03-2012, 05:21   #42

Boat: Island Packet 35
3 easy steps that anyone who wants to liveaboard can.

Step 1...Buy a boat

Step 2...Move aboard

Step 3...Research everything you can think of

You can do step 3 first but in moderation. To much and you will be just a dreamer.
Hotel L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2012, 20:08   #43

Boat: 1973 Morgan O/I 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotel L View Post
3 easy steps that anyone who wants to liveaboard can.

Step 1...Buy a boat

Step 2...Move aboard

Step 3...Research everything you can think of

You can do step 3 first but in moderation. To much and you will be just a dreamer.

Hotel L,

Excellent! I agree fully. I'm just waiting for this semester to be over so I have some time to actually LOOK at some boats. Blast this schedule. It will be over soon though, and I will be managing a different beast of burden. At least the ocean I feel at home at. Can't say the same for school or the land.
JDRichlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2012, 00:55   #44

Boat: Bavaria 42 Cruiser

Go for it man, hell what you pay in rent easily covers marina fees/. I grew up on a boat and loved the fun of it all. a big plus for single men is the pick up line hey want to come stay on my boat! let me tell you that one works a treat and who knows you may find a like minded lass with the same ideas and next thing you know your cruising the bahamas with your sould mate.
wow i think i just spelled out my life!!
haha
tbj402000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2012, 09:13   #45

Boat: Reinell 26 "Tobi Maru

Hahaha. "Wanna see my dinghy?"
Advice do it while you can, before you get tied down with too much "life"

Tags
living aboard