Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2012, 08:35   #31

Boat: custom teak ketch 48' Eastwind
Re: Is This Possible ?

Hell, just tie your Harley down on your Zodiak and tow it behind you! When you get to where you're going, land on the beach and drive away! (insurance would be good)
Geoduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 09:47   #32

In the far reaches of my mind I have thought of building something like an enclosed life boat or capsual to ride the bike in and out and lock it down, some kind of trimaran, use it for a dingy and pull it. But 1. it would be rather large anyway and 2. it would be a PITA pulling something all the time and looking behind you checking the status.

I'm trying to get a very economical boat to operate and since most 45' trawlers or cruisers have two engines with about 500+ HP, they don't fit that requirement....
Wavewacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 15:27   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7

That would be my choice as well and coming in at 240lbs be much easier to move on and off a boat. Plastics instead of chrome would be better in a salt environment. I had the smaller 250cc version as a teenager and it survived my clumsy attempts at riding cross country every weekend.

Pete
Mine was quite a bit older but thats the one. Would be quite handy exporing backroads while island hopping.

It was enough to get this in the bed of a pickup, couldn't imagine hoisting a Harley over the rail on a regular basis.

Of clurse wavewacker is talking about a different mission up and down the east coast...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 19:28   #34

Boat: Haida 26', 18' Sea Kayak, 15' kayak, 6.5' skiff, shorts

Bicycle is the only solution.
tager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 05:47   #35

Where did Rowingdude go? He was asking about a 40/45'er and there it is.

If you have the right crane/boom set up it looks like taking the seat off or preparing the bike and rigging for the lift takes more time than hoisting it and placing it where you want it. The bigger the boat the bigger and more complicated the boom can be....

I can get my seat off of my cruiser in less than a minute with tools in hand. On my dual sport I wouldn't need to do that or on any other off road type. Both my bikes have windshields, something else to consider, the dual sport is pretty easy and quick to remove.

I was thinking of using a portable winch used by off roaders to power the lift and slide it myself physically as it wouldn't take much, if I were going over the sides.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a crane/boom arrangement? How much of a deck plate or base should there be to ensure a safe lift of a 1,000 pounds?

Either way I think a bike stand would be a good idea, setting (or riding)the front wheel into the upright stand will initially hold the bike whileyou dismount or release the rigging and then secure it...or secure it before releasing it....I can see trial and error and the learning curve to the safest and most efficient method being found.
Wavewacker is offline   Reply With Quote