Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-04-2013, 04:41   #31

Boat: Finnsailer 38
Re: Keep Current Boat or Buy Another in Caribbean?

Quote:
A vehicle would also be very useful for boat shopping and snooping - plus for when you buy and need to get out and about onshore to buy stuff / fix her up (only so much in walking distance of a dock - and only so much that can fit on a bus )........ideally own vehicle from home so can bring with you the squillion bits and bobs you have already accumulated on the current boat that make life easier / more pleasant..........On which note I would be minded to sell the current boat with only the expected essentials (new owner likely will be using as a weekender and not a liveaboard), even if that includes swapping out a few things for older items (am thinking of things like a cooker, if you have a nice one I would replace with a cheap 2 burner! and Warps and even halyards! (if what you have is recent and good and can be replaced with older stuff) and if you have a portable fridge then replace with nothing )......just don't leave holes where things were fitted as folks feel as if they are missing out - even if not sure exactly what!
That is basically good advice, though I would not go so far as to swapping out stoves and haliards--you never know what size things will be on your new boat unless you get the same one. However, things like binoculars, handheld VHF radios, safety equipment above CG spec., etc. are all worth keeping. What I have done in the past is rented a storage room near my old boat so that I can strip it down quickly and easily. Then I go back later to get the stuff once I have the new boat.

I'm sounding like the Florida Chamber of Commerce here, but another advantage of Florida is you can establish residency there using the excellent services of St. Brendan's Isle mail service. That will put you in a no income tax state, and they also are great with the mail part too.
Old 21-04-2013, 04:55   #32

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Not sure your budget but you can find an ex charter boat for incredibly low prices in the vi's. I have friends who r brokers and they can get amazing deals 40%or more below asking, due to so many monos out of charter. Just before hurricane season is best time to buy as they prefer to not have to haul.them. also instead of just Carribbean have you thought of cruising Bahamas and exhumas first for a year or two?
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2013, 07:00   #33

I singlehand my sailboats, but live on my trawler in Punta Gorda Fl. which I need to sell, close to Bahamas so If Florida is not for you try Freeport Bahamas slip $250/mo same as I pay in Fl. for liveaboard. All above comments give insight, singlehanding 400 miles will get old fast, crew unless you are married to them often is a problem, would never recomment that from my experiences. Here is where I live, good price as is where is but I'm heading for yard to spend money on reparirs if unable to sell as is where is. https://picasaweb.google.com/buckner...CNCRu4Xsge-7Og#
jwbuckner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2013, 07:03   #34

typo!!! 400 miles no problem 4000 miles gets old singlehanded, shipping lanes, no sleep, downwind hobbyhorseing, need vane steering, autopiloet can't keep up in following sea, batteries go dead, I wouldn't do it again!
jwbuckner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2013, 10:50   #35

Boat: DUFOUR 12000 CT - 45' - SANS SOUCI

Don't sail alone.
Radar with guard alarm
AIS.
Lots of traffic out there now.
sanssouci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 15:19   #36

Boat: Allmand 31

I'm also a solo, female cruiser (well almost I have an 11 year old daughter). I've been cruising for 5 years now. I'd say without reservation, buy in the Caribbean! Yes, boats are cheap in Florida, but it's a long sail to windward to the Caribbean from Florida, especially hard if you are by yourself with no one to keep watch and give you a break from all the beating. Plus it's easy to find boats in the Caribbean as many folks quit after that beat to windward..... it's not for the faint of heart. Save yourself the trouble. I wish I had.....

Mary
s/v Glass Slipper
Voyage of the Glass Slipper - About
maryc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 15:23   #37

Boat: Allmand 31
Re: Keep current boat or buy another in Caribbean?

We had our boat trucked from OK to KY when we first started and then went down the Tennessee River to Mobile, across to Florida.... While it was a great trip, in hindsight it was not worth the money. Boats are plentiful and cheap in Florida. Still, as a solo sailor I stand by my other post recommending buying in the Caribbean and saving yourself the beat to windward.....

However, either way you go, just be sure to GO. It's a great life!

Mary
s/v Glass Slipper
Voyage of the Glass Slipper - About
maryc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Caribbean, current, caribbean