Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: If you have gone cruising (past or present), did you sell your land home?
Yes 57 43.18%
No 75 56.82%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2019, 12:58   #151

Re: Land home, yes or no?

Here's another thought on "disconnecting" when headed out cruising. I don't know if it's still this way or not though.

The first time I went cruising for 2 years, I sold all autos and so I didn't have auto insurance for 2+ years.
When I returned to the real world, my auto insurance was now priced like 16 year olds and drunk drivers! Why? Because they had a rating category for previously "uninsured drivers", which included drunk drivers and 16 year olds... along with me now!

You can just put car insurance on "abeyance" for like $14 a year or something. That's what to do!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 13:54   #152

Boat: Tayana 37 PH

Too many variables in play: available funds, kids, family, friends (not so) you can count on. If you need to sell the house to fund your sail adventure - you are underfunded. If you have "big a$$" house - sell it and buy condo somewhere you prefer - lock it or rent it.. Some day if you stay alive long enough you might need a landing pad. Two days ago I met old gentlemen trying to sell his boat to fund his on-land living.. I personally don't want to find myself in such position.
Ruso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 14:36   #153

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I've done dozens of polls here over the years, 101 votes is pretty good!
Good to know Don. This one just hit 112, so I suppose I should be pleased. Really makes you wonder what the actual number of users are here at CF. I certainly know the number of us babblers is much smaller .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
...You can just put car insurance on "abeyance" for like $14 a year or something. That's what to do!
Thanks Cheechako (& Exile). I’m going to look into this “abeyance”, or "garage policy". We are getting closer to this possibility. I too have heard of this issue.
Old 01-04-2019, 14:48   #154

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Here's another thought on "disconnecting" when headed out cruising. I don't know if it's still this way or not though.

The first time I went cruising for 2 years, I sold all autos and so I didn't have auto insurance for 2+ years.
When I returned to the real world, my auto insurance was now priced like 16 year olds and drunk drivers! Why? Because they had a rating category for previously "uninsured drivers", which included drunk drivers and 16 year olds... along with me now!

You can just put car insurance on "abeyance" for like $14 a year or something. That's what to do!
Fwiw, my carrier calls it a "garage policy," although I don't think it actually requires that you store the car in a garage. For a minimal premium, you get basic fire, theft & vandalism coverage, but no liability/uninsured motorist. In my case you can switch back & forth anytime, and all my agent needed were odometer statements to show the vehicle had not been driven.
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 14:49   #155

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgal View Post
Too early for me to vote as i'm not out there yet...

Mike, this is a great question. i really appreciate reading through the responses and imagining the different reasons for different decisions, etc.

and yes, i need to figure out what to do with my house, whether it is better to rent it out or sell up. though it is an endearing house to say the least, it would be way too much for me to keep up with, one day, when i'm a well-salted bag of bones.

someone mentioned how very many sell up and then last six months out there...

someone mentioned a patch of land...

a couple of people mentioned how they had to start over when returning and are not going to sell the house this time...

judging from what i've read on here, it does seem that, given the choice, having a practical base that can be returned to is a good call

are others coming to the same conclusion?
Well, I think the numbers here indicate that a slight majority* keep their land home, while a large minority ’sell it all.’ What’s clear is that there is no one way that works for everyone. And there are pros and cons to both approaches.

(*of CF users who responded — which is a pretty small sampling of all cruisers)
Old 01-04-2019, 15:02   #156

Boat: Volkscruiser

Sailing Jack that is fairly common in our neighbourhood. We live in a semi rural area and there are plenty of blocks with sheds on them but no houses. We have lots of retired caravaners in Australia and lots of them seem to need a base/storage for their stuff. So in our area they build a shed with a kitchen/bathroom store their stuff and take off. The best bit is because they have down sized they are cashed up to travel.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 15:28   #157

Boat: Bristol 47.7

I always thought the folks on Morgan's Cloud (Attainable Adventure Cruising) got it right. Their boat is their primary home, but they keep a simple cottage on a well-protected inlet in rural Maine with their own mooring ball out front to tie up their boat!
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 16:09   #158
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Well, I think the numbers here indicate that a slight majority* keep their land home, while a large minority ’sell it all.’ What’s clear is that there is no one way that works for everyone. And there are pros and cons to both approaches.

(*of CF users who responded — which is a pretty small sampling of all cruisers)
Hi Mike,
I finally got the chance to Vote (No) as I was on the laptop rather than smart phone that defaults to CF App.

I have yet to find a way to Vote, using the CF App even when I try Web View.
Maybe others have not voted for same reason.???

Personally, I am keeping my options open by renting. Mostly because of age

Also government regulations and overcrowding have diminished the freedoms and increased the costs that cruisers are experiencing worldwide.

Being spoilt cruising in the 80's and 90's, finding remote untainted cruising grounds gets harder and harder
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 16:22   #159

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailing_jack View Post
we are looking at selling, but things got derailed for a bit.

But here is a idea my son in law proposed.
He advised us to by a rural lot, and put in well, septic and hydro.
then park a house trailer on it.
Here is eastern Ontario that does not classify as home property, but still as undeveloped land. Therefore the taxes are cheap.

The trailer is a 3 season home so somewhere to live when we come home for whatever reason, and in the winter we would rather be sailing someplace warm.

That also gives us an Ontario residence for OHIP purposes (Canadians understand this)

That brings up another question more relevant to Canadians. Do you really come home for 6 months just to keep the medical ?
You could also buy an older RV from the USA, 40 footers are very cheap and come with every thing,
Check out Foretravel Grand Villa's, Queen size bed, Full kitchen, Ducted Vaccum cleaner, Ice maker, Garbage compactor, Ice maker, Full lounge, and you can travel in it,
Diesel Pusher and cheap to run, 10 US MPG,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 05:01   #160

Boat: Presently between vessels

No point to keeping the land home. We didn't want to live in that city anymore. We like living on the boat and traveling.
RobPatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 09:08   #161

Numbers still creeping up. That’s good. And the “keep the land home” side is increasing its lead over “sell it all.”

Interesting…
Old 04-04-2019, 13:34   #162

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
The one thing your poll seems to suggest with barely 100 participants, is that very few on this forum are actually active cruisers.
It’s funny, but the only time I ever seem to get on the internet much, is the time between cruises.

Too busy when we’re actually cruising!
Old 04-04-2019, 15:05   #163

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

It also depends on how many people actually own their own home or Unit, Before they take up cruising,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2019, 07:35   #164
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

'maybe a poor data point from me. I indicated that we did not sell a land home because we never had one,- 'moved aboard straight out of college. I probably should not have responded, but I would not favor the burden of a land/house ownership. There are other financially rewarding and more fluid investments. Maybe the house ashore would be best for those that value the accumulation of "stuff".
Old 14-04-2019, 09:55   #165

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
'maybe a poor data point from me. I indicated that we did not sell a land home because we never had one,- 'moved aboard straight out of college. I probably should not have responded, but I would not favor the burden of a land/house ownership. There are other financially rewarding and more fluid investments. Maybe the house ashore would be best for those that value the accumulation of "stuff".
This is largely what drove our decision to get rid of our land house. We did not want the financial, logistical, and emotional burden of a land dwelling when we moved on board. But clearly keeping a land home is a smart financial, and sometimes emotional, move for a lot of people.

The whole ‘place to keep your stuff’ also seems important to many. We divested of most of our stuff. But, we still have a cargo trailer with a few heirlooms and some basic home items should we ever need to set up land home again (this latter was an emotional need for my partner). We also have two small motorcycles, which are worth more to us than they can ever be sold for. So I guess we’re still somewhat anchored to land .