Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: If you have gone cruising (past or present), did you sell your land home?
Yes 57 43.18%
No 75 56.82%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-03-2019, 21:00   #46
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Re: Land home, yes or no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
If you have gone cruising*, did you sell your land home? Did your boat become your only home?

Discussion:

There are many different ways to go cruising. But this is just a simple question:
IF you have gone cruising* (past or present), did you keep a land home, or did you ‘sell it all.’

And just for clarity, many of us keep a land address to receive mail, or for other legal purposes. This is not a land home (for this poll’s purpose).

(*Cruising is defined however you want, but generally refers to living and travelling on a boat for extended periods each year. )
where's the box for those of us that have always lived on the water ( as an adult) and never owned a dirt house?
Old 22-03-2019, 21:29   #47

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

Not voting because we aren't cruising yet.
The house is for sale because we don't know where we want to live if and when we are done with cruising.
So when the house sells, we will buy a boat and go. When we don't like it anymore, we will sell the boat and settle down someplace that appeals to us at the time.
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2019, 21:35   #48

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Mighty View Post
Smells like just another of Matt Groening's "crazy Grandpa Simpson" stories.

]
I thought boatsie had set the tone.
I was getting a bit lost with the ballerinas and smilie faces
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2019, 22:11   #49
cruiser

Quote:
A boat may be home, but a boat is a depreciating asset.

I disagree. Money is often an unbalance of power while monarchy and monastery are served with served with severe torque and expected to hold adjustments.
Maybe much like a long keel with its stronger stays.

Granddad was a stunner dude. On? I on. Tied to a belt with a bowline allowing him privileged teachings now that he was allowed to crew.
Grandma ho, here she comes with tied garlic, a clove hitch. Grandma knew sails better than anyone, double hitch runners to allow tension one way knot other. She'd tie the storm covers.

Cheers Semi 60.. I'm only learning too. Guessing that's why 2 toes on a ketch wood steer her along fetch. You girls with 1 stick really amaze me.

If knowledge as to why's is worth anything; boats are knot appreciating much.
A bowline to board and that's all the start any mate I know was given.

Nathan
Boatsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2019, 22:29   #50

Boat: Catalina 470

Hi Mike, I've kept the house and build another small dwelling on the back. I look at the property purely as income.

I intend to buy another property near the end of the year and once again for income.

Also I don't own for the sake of a home, I have property purely as a way of locking my money up and getting a return. Bricks and motor may go down (which I believe it will) but it won't go away, I expect it to always put food on the table.

In many instances I see property as a liability, unless it puts money in your pocket every week I wouldn't own it.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2019, 22:32   #51

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
I thought boatsie had set the tone.
I was getting a bit lost with the ballerinas and smilie faces
Understood.

Question is whether it's best to just ignore the trolls and posters of random nonsense.

On the red onion front, I reckon the best red onions are the small red ones found in India. Very flavourful. And intensely red with big mobs of anthocyanins.

Indonesia has some almost acceptable large red onions. Not much flavour but more than a touch of red anthocyanin.

The red onions in Aus are too big, lack flavour, and are only superficially red.

And I reckon that's why the research results are muddled. You cannot compare the anthocyanin content of India's small red onions to the others.
Old 22-03-2019, 22:35   #52
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Understood.

Question is whether it's best to just ignore the trolls and posters of random nonsense.

On the red onion front, I reckon the best red onions are the small red ones found in India. Very flavourful. And intensely red with big mobs of anthocyanins.

Indonesia has some almost acceptable large red onions. Not much flavour but more than a touch of red anthocyanin.

The red onions in Aus are too big, lack flavour, and are only superficially red.

And I reckon that's why the research results are muddled. You cannot compare the anthocyanin content of India's small red onions to the others.
You both missed the most important part .
Which one tastes best in a curry ��
Old 22-03-2019, 22:36   #53

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
One tip about real estate -- values are driven primarily by two things -- population increase, and the balance of assets vs. money in the economy. Don't invest in real estate in a geographic location which is losing population. Worldwide, people are moving to cities, and from small cities to capital cities, and away from the country and away from small towns.
I would suggest ease of credit has been the larger driver of property values over the last 20 years, fundamentals coming a distant second.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2019, 23:03   #54
cruiser

A long cruising story..

We met an old bloke with a cruising yacht in the middle of our Australian desert. This was about 25 years ago.
Really nice boat. Large volume trailer sail boat. We pulled up. He couldn't change the tyre. His wife and him were driving 2000km to launch and cruise at Whitsundays. I was going, fit, an A grade soldier and my mate even fitter. No man could change that alone!
It was hot. My friend and I made a lever and changed his tyre. Mateship.
His wife gave us a shipload of chocolate as a gift. Everyone was happy.
We fed the chocolate to his nephew. We didn't know that his diet was perfect.. He was two, bought up on fresh.
Woman amaze me. Shipped his nappies. I was throwing up, mate was dry reaching and she was smiling nearer the horror.
They afforded the luxury of appreciation of low fetch passages by using a trailer sailer.
We too.

Loving sailing. Maybe not a house but an appreciation towards a future decision.
If your boat sinks off our barren land. 1 could get to shore, dig a hole behind the second dune, cover the hole because bees like water too. Take a dump. Hang around. When lizard comes to ship to catch flies; catch lizard. Meat and water free.. Just a different story that made us wonder why as children we had to look at dads ship.

All the best.
Old 22-03-2019, 23:22   #55

Boat: Outbound 44

We sold the house to go cruising 8 years ago. We didn't want the hassle of dealing with renters in our remodeled house. The money went into market investments and has done fine. We'll be buying in a different area when we go into the next phase.
Old 22-03-2019, 23:29   #56

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by alctel View Post
There probably should have been a 'never owned a house' option as well. That may have increased participation.

I know most of the people I know in my age group have never owned a house as it's waaaay too expensive (even when you make decent money). Unless you want to live in the suburbs, but then you have the commute and have to own a car etc and that's all more money and time
Good point. I shouldn’t have added the “sell your land home” in the full question.

The thread title is the intent; if you are a cruiser (and apparently not many are), do you still have a land home? This means any land home, be it owning or renting or squatting or whatever.
Old 22-03-2019, 23:33   #57

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
where's the box for those of us that have always lived on the water ( as an adult) and never owned a dirt house?
Hey, didn’t they make a movie about you a few years ago: Waterworld

Sorry for the confusion about the question. The thread title says it perfectly:
IF you are a cruiser, do you have a land home as well?
Old 22-03-2019, 23:47   #58

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
You both missed the most important part .
Which one tastes best in a curry ��
That's clear, Rob.

As stated above: India's small red onions.

They have flavour.

The others don't.
Old 23-03-2019, 00:16   #59
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
We sold the house to go cruising 8 years ago. We didn't want the hassle of dealing with renters in our remodeled house. The money went into market investments and has done fine. We'll be buying in a different area when we go into the next phase.
I like that.

With 1 reliable tenant I'm soon to do similar.

We were cruisers with a land home by utilizing a trailered yacht. Voyages upto about 500nm. Maybe 1000nm. Probably up to 1500nm.
Cruising around home basically.
Since then. Been saving. Tried to save using bricks and mortar. Gave cheap rent. But an inch on the sheet was taken a mile.
Hence. I like to believe that my mate remains a good tenant and use that as upkeep fees on an ocean capable yacht and the house he's in pays the yacht and berth.

I read once on a blog by a sailor, " you don't buy a yacht, you purchase the responsibility to maintain a vessel. "

I hope you win too brother.

So technically I may not answer but being gentle to the rude gusts of breeze. The plan across 20 years was to cruise without a land home. A land house, yes, pays the slip. Knot a home, someone else's there.

I hope he wins also.

Nathan
Old 23-03-2019, 04:31   #60
cruiser

Here's a breakdown cost of using a skiff rig trailersailer as a holiday home whilst retaining a land home.
Note: we weren't great sailers and some friends show their touch to improve with better quality having seasoned with dingies. I'm so happy to have used a lightweight yacht as a holiday home because when I started skippering a full length keel yacht the race records will show Gale yet we sailed her in on starboard tack without a starboard stay/spreader and I'm nowhere near as impressive as my friends as mentioned.

Each to their own.
If used 52 weekends including 2 4 week vacations.
Fuel cost.. 44 1/4 tanks +2 tanks=260 litres.
Oil. 10 litres
Launch retrieve. $5 52 = $250. Double that now. $500
Car fuel. 3*52.= 150 litres.
Rego. Insurance. ?
Maintenance.. A lot cheaper than a big one. Between a dingy and a floating full time home.
Trailer.. $300 per 10 years.
Rigging, standing, running.. ?
Glass and resin $20
Mast step. $150
Sails.. Race boat seasoned probably best bet. Get more with less
That'll add up if looking to learn how to sail whilst cruising.

Ever been yelled at because you put the headsail up upside down, pointed below to help skipper realize a 20 footer was there above where 2 weeks prior a diver had been eaten. Glad we sailed. They eat well. Much less annoyance.

Tap tap