Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-04-2021, 10:13   #16

Boat: Wendon Skylounge 72'
Re: land transportation while cruising

Quote:
Originally Posted by pande View Post
I have a basic question for which my searches have not been able to find an answer.

While cruising the Gulf Coast and the lower East Coast of the U.S. of A. (mostly in and around Florida), when I come into a new area and need land transportation on a temporary basis, how do most of you solve this problem?

Do some (any) marinas have loaner/rental cars? Do you just contact standard car rental agencies?

Thanks,
-Paul
We found loaner cars in some smaller marinas in the BVIs. Other than that we would rent from local agencies. There were usually folks hawking rental cars at the ferry docks and airport. We would find the best rate from Hertz/Budget etc beforehand, then negotiate down from there. Cars were always crappy but serviceable for our needs. (Short distance/reprovisioning). If we wanted cars in the Med we were usually driving some distance and used the major rental agencies. Never found one that would pick us up though.
~Alan
AlanT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2021, 10:16   #17

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanT View Post
Your Avatar doesn't give any info on your location etc. so this may be misdirected. We had bikes on board a sailboat for 4 years while cruising the Med (mainly). We found that any decent quality bike would get stolen despite locks/cables. We reverted to cheapo supermarket off road bikes for less than $100. They did not get stolen when locked up but they only lasted 6 months or so in salty air. They were not stowed below, but they were in bags on deck. The alum spokes would rot first at the join with the wheel rim.

I have no idea where you are cruising or the components of your expensive bikes and you may have considered these issues, but just in case.

~Alan
I have had similar experiences. Finally, I found the best bike is a cheap Walmart bike. Slather the exposed metal bits with Vaseline and it lasts indefinitely without messy grease everywhere.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2021, 10:32   #18

Boat: 46 ft cutter

In my travels I:
a) walk a lot. Decent exercise, you see a lot of the local living conditions and meet locals, even if it’s just to say “buen dia”. People outside developed countries (especially older ones) often like to chat. Helps learning at least a few new words in a different language. Intellectual exercise is probably at least as important as physical exercize. I plan on doing as much possible to ward off senile dementias. Learning a new language in your 60’s seems like yoga for the brain.
b) intra-city longer travel - public transportation or Uber. Public transportation is cheap, though never air conditioned and often old and worn out. Uber in larger
cities is available. Taxis (where Uber isn’t available) are pretty cheap.
c) inter-city long travel - private bus company or rent a car. The private bus system in Mexico is fabulous with 3 tiers of service from basic to deluxe.
Have a decent, heavy duty, cloth, frameless day pack for hauling groceries and such.

The roads are poor to awful and personal bicycles get stolen, so I don’t see any reason to have a bike onboard. And I have at least 5 bicycles at home up to carbon frame and rode 100 miles a week in Midwestern Gringoland. The little folding bikes make it seem that you are a clown riding for a very cheap circus.
PirateGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2021, 10:34   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by pande View Post
I have a basic question for which my searches have not been able to find an answer.

While cruising the Gulf Coast and the lower East Coast of the U.S. of A. (mostly in and around Florida), when I come into a new area and need land transportation on a temporary basis, how do most of you solve this problem?

Do some (any) marinas have loaner/rental cars? Do you just contact standard car rental agencies?

Thanks,
-Paul
Rental cars are dirt cheap in Florida for some reason. But it's hardly worth the trouble for a one day rental. Enterprise Rental will come get you though.
I found my bike amazingly useful in Florida. I could ride miles.
-In Fort L. riding clear out to Dania from Los Olas was a piece of cake.
-Fort Pierce was easy too, rode out for Yanmar parts, West Marine etc many times.
So a bike works well when you just need to go to the store or marine parts etc.

One Fl stay I just found a bike on Craigslist and bought it cheap. Gave it away when we left.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2021, 05:09   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

During a 15 year span of our cruising we did not own a car. We sometimes rented a car, but mostly relied on bicycles.

We started with Dahon's and over time we favored the full sized bikes with both fore and aft quick release wheels. our solution to avoid corrosion was to lift our bikes with our mizzen halyard and drop them into our aft cabin where they fit well between the berths when disassembled. I like the Trek bike quick release for both wheels.
Old 26-04-2021, 06:23   #21

Boat: Hatteras CPMY 63’

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enfant Du Vent View Post
Ahoy Pande:

When I was a live aboard on my 32' sailboat, I walked a LOT.

Then got a Dahon folding stainless steel bicycle.

(It was great until someone stole it...I'd left it ashore in the park I was anchored off.)
Boot key?
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2021, 19:10   #22

Whilst I haven't cruised with a bike, I have found my usual approach to vehicle security has been quite successful in protecting my treadlies. That is, I make sure that I only own stuff that noone wants to brush up against, let alone steal. So all my bikes have been cosmetic messes, whilst being put together from moderately decent (but not obviously top end) components. Coupled with a decent, but again not ostentatious, lock, it's working so far.
PatB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2021, 19:11   #23

Boat: Colegate 26

Depends on how far we're going or what we're carrying.

Uber for big trips. E scooter for small trips.

https://www.amazon.com/GOTRAX-GXL-Co...s%2C199&sr=8-5
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising