Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-07-2014, 19:57   #16

Re: Laundry

Flying Knight: I am a live aboard. My boat is a 46ft Wellcraft CMY and am tied up at my slip most of the time. One still has to work! Now, my boat was designed for one I just had to replace it. The previous owners were day sailors and didn't need one. I, on the other hand, definitely need one. I found it is the biggest difference between existing and really living on board. Ice maker a close second! A good cold beer or Margarita is tough to do without. Washing my sheets and really drying them takes about 2 hours. Divide the sheets and pillow cases into two batches is the key. Towels, just wash a couple and you are golden. You just have to rearrange your thinking about washing clothes. You just wash daily instead of weekly. No biggie really.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Chris in destin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2014, 23:39   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Knight View Post
............. As for cost on the west coast, $5 per load in the washer plus $5+ to dry everything. I never walk out paying less than $30. Probably better at the larger ports of call as you can venture inland and find a neighborhood facility that's more reasonably priced.

Are you a liveaboard? .............
We are living aboard, but retired and often cruising about. $10/regular load wash & dry is huge! 'must be more than just a tourist area factor. Charleston, SC has a marina near the aquarium and the tour boats with a free laundry. We don't often see free, but $3 wash & dry is common in a marina laundry. Of course, at the marina the laundry is not the business, but an amenity.
Old 25-07-2014, 00:47   #18

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hey,

Probably a 34 ft. boat is too small to support a washer. Unless you really want one.

My friend, Sapient Sue, has a washing machine. On a 40 footer, which is quite a generous size 40 footer.

I do my washing ashore. Either with the local ladies at their stream or at a laundromat.
I think of it as contributing to the local economy. Either I am the entertainment or the source of monetary input. And I don't worry much about it either way.

Ann
Old 25-07-2014, 01:31   #19

Lightbulb Re: Laundry

The Beko WML 51231 seems to be one of the most efficient machine on market.
Atalantia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2014, 21:47   #20

Boat: Newport 28 & Robalo 20

At ~$6-12 per load done at a washateria, one could get this little 1.0CF washing machine for the cost of 20-40 loads and save a lot of time and trouble:

Haier 1-cu ft Top-Load Washer, Model #: HLP21N, $269 (@ local here); at Lowes and HD, et al.
It weighs just ~43#, measures slightly less than 18" square (wxd) x ~30" tall (with the casters on, take them off and lose 2-3" in height). Has one input hose (from a sink faucet), one discharge hose (to wherever), runs on 120V.

Not much cabinet space needed for it, or stow it and haul out when needed.

I've skimmed the customer reviews and most are quite happy with it (it's on my list to get soon).
Remarks that it spin drys stuff pretty good, so a dryer might not be needed, just finish with a short air dry for the clothes.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_336979-13247-HLP21N_4294857977__?productId=3380258&Ns=p_product _price|0&pl=1¤tURL=%3FNs%3Dp_product_price|0%26pag e%3D1&facetInfo=
Tx J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2014, 15:19   #21

Location: Currently wintering in Kettering south of Hobart in Tasmania so already established for the Wooden Boat Festival in 2019
Boat: Joe Adams Naut 40

I am a liveaboard and don't often visit marinas so love my Lemair washing machine. It is very small, all plastic and spins like you wouldn't believe

Height : 695.0 mm
Width : 438.0 mm
Depth : 438.0 mm

so hanging out afterwards makes for easy drying. We make our water but tend to save the pre tank water for the washing machine even though it only uses 25 litres per full load, so we do not use enormous amounts of water and easily copes with sheets and towels.

Sapient Sue
sapient sue is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
laundry