Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2021, 11:33   #31

Boat: Cal 2-46
Re: Laundry

We use a large bucket and soak it. Then stomp it a bit. Then we have a spin dryer. Quite small. Goes in a cupboard. This one is 110 volt. Does 1800 rpm. No heating. We pop it in the shower so the water runs away. Amazing how quick. Maybe 2 minutes. Minimal power usage. And the laundry is almost dry so a quick hang on the line and it’s all done.
I hated having to ring out the wet washing so this unit has been a godsend.

Pete
Jimmyhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 13:02   #32

Boat: Dufour 382 37'

We wash only clothes and small items when underway or away from a slip/dock. For big stuff like bedding, we have several sets, make each change last as long as possible, and do the wash when in-port.

Many marinas will let you stay overnight at the fuel dock, from after closing 'til before opening. We'll do that periodically when we want to plug-in and reset the battery monitor. We'll do a wash then, for example.
PaintedKite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 18:43   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by pas63 View Post
Hello all, I lived on my boat for 12ish years up till 2018, always in a marina. I am back on my boat with the opportunity to start cruising and working remote. Marinas have their up's and downs. One luxury is a laundry room in walking distance. No need to sit there for a couple hours each week. What do those of you do that are not in marinas? Clothes are one thing, easy enough to deal with, but bedding?
Have a swim wearing all your smelly clothes when it’s raining, then stand in the rain to rinse the salt out. Probably not useful advice if you’re cruising Greenland.
Brian Renwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 06:59   #34

Boat: Pacific Seacraft voyager 40, Toda

I have a small centrifuge from Laundry Alternatives similar to the one shown here.. https://laundry-alternative.com/coll...removable-drum The big advantage in a centrifuge is that it removes almost all of the water, carrying the dirt with it... Clothes are MUCH cleaner... I use a fraction of water (I spin out the soapy water before rinsing). It is a little bulky to stow, but light (I leave it in the shower when it is not in use). Uses very little power. Smart Wool and other hi tech fabrics feel almost dry after being spun. Even in damp weather the clothes dry quickly when hung out in the cabin.
toda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 09:06   #35

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by toda View Post
I have a small centrifuge from Laundry Alternatives similar to the one shown here.. https://laundry-alternative.com/coll...removable-drum The big advantage in a centrifuge is that it removes almost all of the water, carrying the dirt with it... Clothes are MUCH cleaner... I use a fraction of water (I spin out the soapy water before rinsing). It is a little bulky to stow, but light (I leave it in the shower when it is not in use). Uses very little power. Smart Wool and other hi tech fabrics feel almost dry after being spun. Even in damp weather the clothes dry quickly when hung out in the cabin.

I had this exact device in our last land home. We didn't have a washer/dryer so sometimes did our stuff by hand. Worked great and exactly as you say, but not way too large to take on our smallish sailboat.
Old 05-10-2021, 10:32   #36

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Here's my solution. Just add a bucket:

Does that come in any other color Mike?
Old 05-10-2021, 10:52   #37

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
Does that come in any other color Mike?

The lovely ocean blue is the only colour I've seen the plastic ones in, but I've also seen them made of aluminum.
Old 05-10-2021, 10:53   #38

Boat: CL14 #1179

Portable washing machine, roll it out to the kitchen once a week, drain it in the sink.
Wilyum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 11:30   #39

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
...Out in the South Seas, sometimes you can go do the wash with the women who are also washing in streams...
We were surprised to find when we first visited French Polynesia that the only people washing clothes in the streams were cruisers. All the local people had washers and dryers in their homes.

In fact in French Polynesia home washing appliances were so common that commercial laundromats were hard to find. Nobody needs them.

Elsewhere around the world we have had no problems finding either a coin operated laundromat or, preferably, a local laundry business. In every port and in many villages somebody there is willing and happy to do your laundry for you for a low price. They also have the drying problem worked out usually not by using a dryer but by judicious use of clothes lines.

Living aboard for 35 years we have learned, long ago, that laundry is drudgery. We like to avoid it. Even if the marinas we visited had laundry rooms, which we always use if available, doing a load or two three times a week, including waiting in line for a dryer, takes a lot of time. Living in the tropics, where we sweat a lot, and working on the boat, which makes things dirty a lot, means we have a lot of laundry. (Interestingly, young male, singlehanders are often wearing dirty clothing. I wonder about their bedding.)

Using your own equipment on board, if you have it, has less impact on your schedule, but there is no free lunch. You have to have water and power, not to mention room to install the equipment and the likely hood of occasional maintenance. And you still have to do it.

And we have preferred not to try to make our liveaboard sailboat into an all-appliance and all-convenience residence with everything aboard, like a land house. Nor are we interested in washing by hand in a bucket and stringing clothes up on the boat every week for the rest of our lives. It is easier for us to lug the bag of laundry to the local business, pay the (reasonable) fee and pick it up clean, dry and folded the next day.

It costs us about $5USD a week to get our laundry done.
Old 05-10-2021, 20:26   #40

Boat: Logan 33

I throw wet stuff on the floor under the outlet for my Eberspächer diesel heater. The airflow makes an effective clothes dryer. The heater itself is located in a locker under a wooden seat which heats up and is great for drying anything you care to lay on it. In summer when you don’t want the heater going you can just wear nothing thereby generating no laundry ��
Lindsaymcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 20:27   #41

Boat: Logan 33

I throw wet stuff on the floor under the outlet for my Eberspächer diesel heater. The airflow makes an effective clothes dryer. The heater itself is located in a locker under a wooden seat which heats up and is great for drying anything you care to lay on it. In summer when you don’t want the heater going you can just wear nothing thereby generating no laundry 😊
Lindsaymcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 20:40   #42

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

It helps to select synthetic clothing and bedding that washes and dries easily and keep the cotton items packed away.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 06:23   #43
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsaymcm View Post
I throw wet stuff on the floor under the outlet for my Eberspächer diesel heater. The airflow makes an effective clothes dryer. The heater itself is located in a locker under a wooden seat which heats up and is great for drying anything you care to lay on it. In summer when you don’t want the heater going you can just wear nothing thereby generating no laundry [emoji4]

Oh the humidity !!!!
Old 06-10-2021, 06:24   #44
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
It helps to select synthetic clothing and bedding that washes and dries easily and keep the cotton items packed away.

Yuk , synthetics

There’s a nice range of small caravan twin tub washer /spin machines around . Great devices.
Old 06-10-2021, 06:31   #45

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post

Yuck.

Synthetics make me “muck” sweat. And I can’t be the only one!
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
laundry