Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-05-2020, 05:26   #1

Leaning Toward Live Aboard Life

Hello Forum Members,

I wanted to reach out to the community to get feed back on becoming a full time live aboard. My husband and I have lived aboard a 47 ft. Marine Trader a few years back for two years and pretty much loved it but now I'm turning 60 and looking at living alone. Are there many women out here that live aboard full time and what are your thoughts on it?

Maryellen.
maryellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2020, 10:57   #2

Boat: Celestial 48
Re: Leaning Toward Live Aboard Life

Aloha maryellen,
I am in my mid-sixties and have been a liveaboard with my husband for the past 17 years- My good friend is also in her sixties and lost her partner a couple years back- she finds it difficult - but is still a liveaboard- nearly every repair she does has to be hired out - it can be lonely as there are fewer neighbors who liveaboard (the marina generally spreads them out) and during a major storm she has to batten down her boat by herself- Your question is one I ask myself regularly - what happens when my husband is no longer with me? Do I continue to liveaboard? I know a couple other women here who are struggling to sell their boats as they are overwhelmed...I am fairly good with pumps and systems but to do a head repair at 3 in the morning? Just not sure. I would be interested to hear others respond. I say this over and over - it is NOT cheaper to liveaboard- and the security at marinas generally is not high- I might be able to do it for a while but what if I fall down the companionway and break my hip? I think about those things-
Don't get me wrong - I love sailing and I love the life style - but doing it alone gives me pause...It's funny as I read tons of posts about men trying to find women who want to liveaboard or cruise and they can't find them...but I guess they are looking for cute young things and I don't qualify LOL
Alawaiorion is offline   Reply With Quote