Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-04-2019, 09:57   #16

Re: leaving the boat for 2 weeks

I leave a card showing my contact phone number in a window. Anyone seeing a problem can then easily get in touch if there is a problem of any sort.

We've never had a problem in 12 years - but have had several offers to buy the boat!
Uncle G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2019, 09:58   #17

Boat: Westerly Conway 36ft

" Refer off and opened"; "Refer and bilge pump on."
What is a refer? Never heard that word in this context before.
Just in case it is something I should know...
Clivevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2019, 10:00   #18

Boat: Custom Swedish Vindö 50 (35 ft)

I think a key part of the OP's concern is here: "I have one year old Discovery 55". It's a new and expensive boat and I can understand the concern about leaving it for 2 weeks.

Amaman, I think solar will take care of your batteries if you turn off the fridge and non-essentials. I think it might be safer to unplug from shore power. I always leave my boat key with someone when it's unattended. You never know, something can occur in your absence that requires someone entering the boat. If you can find a reliable and honest person, I think it can't hurt to have them watch the boat, open it up once a week and check on things.
Copacabana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2019, 13:46   #19

Boat: Najad 391

We leave our boat for in the Canaries for four months at a time and I agree with all of the above. I would also flush the heads with at least one bucket of fresh water or you will have a smelly loo when you return. I would not have solar panels and shore power on at the same time, one or t'other.
I have been doing this for the last seven years no problems, except one year I only had on solar panels and had two big sand storms which covered the panels and I lost two batteries, now I only use shore power. Don't worry it will be okay
sailu2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2019, 14:10   #20

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hello, Amaman,

If your mast is keel stepped, read on, if deck stepped, no concern from me. If it is keel stepped, and you get a rain storm while you're gone, where does it drain to? On our boat, it drains to the shower sump, and if you have that through hull closed, you come back to water overflowed and mold growing. The water can't get out of the wash basin, and floods the counters there, and it has to work very hard to pump the water back out into the shower. In our case, if it hadn't quit raining, it probably would also have burned out the pump. Just so's you've been warned.

If you're a youngie, I wouldn't worry about it further. If you're old enough to expect unexpected medical issues, or a worry wart, then double up on your dock lines, wrap the foil(s), and the boom, and chafe gear where lines go around cleats.

Ann
Old 27-04-2019, 14:53   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Mariner 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clivevon View Post
" Refer off and opened"; "Refer and bilge pump on."
What is a refer? Never heard that word in this context before.
Just in case it is something I should know...
refer = refrigerator ... in this context
JoeRobertJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2019, 18:47   #22

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

If your marina has good wifi, you might consider a wifi security camera. They are pretty cheap these days. Put it below, maybe in the main cabin facing aft so you can see the main hatch. This way you can "watch" and check on the boat yourself on your phone or PC anytime. Would give you peace of mind.

I agree, its hard to decide between telling the marina, and keeping hush. Loose lips sink ships. But at some point you need to trust someone.

FWIW, my Hunter 35.5 was broken into on the hard during the winter. Aside from all the stuff that was stolen, the main hatch was left wide open for several weeks before I happened to go and check on the boat myself. There was a huge snow drift inside. Marina "security" was less than useless. All the boats near mine were ransacked.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2019, 10:49   #23

Boat: Westerly Conway 36ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRobertJr View Post
Ah !! Many thanks - in UK refrigerator is shortened to fridge. Thanks again.
Clivevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2019, 07:28   #24

Location: Eastern Caribbean for the 2020 season then east coast or Panama
Boat: Lagoon 470 cat

Might want to check the manual for your solar controller. Apparently many use time to determine how long to stay in absorption mode instead of voltage/amperage. Fried a set of batteries before I knew that I need to lower the charge voltages on my solar when leaving the boat. Since you are turning everything off and have solar it is not a bad idea to disconnect the shore power. Batteries will run the bilge pump for hours and hopefully someone in the marina would notice a problem if the bilge pump is running a lot.

Leaving a key and phone number with staff or fellow cruiser is always a good idea IMHO.

Several other good suggestions above too. 2 weeks is nothing.

Bill
Moontide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 06:49   #25

Boat: Taswell 43

Following....we've got to go back to a wedding next year in Jan, so we'll be out in the boat-somewhere.
sailcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 08:49   #26

Boat: Catana 471

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
If your marina has good wifi, you might consider a wifi security camera. They are pretty cheap these days. Put it below, maybe in the main cabin facing aft so you can see the main hatch. This way you can "watch" and check on the boat yourself on your phone or PC anytime. Would give you peace of mind.

I agree, its hard to decide between telling the marina, and keeping hush. Loose lips sink ships. But at some point you need to trust someone.
I've had good luck using a Netgear Arlo Q camera (USB powered, so it can be plugged into a 12V socket) together with an unlocked cellular hotspot for security monitoring. As long as there's decent cellular coverage, you don't need marina wifi. The Arlo monitors for sound and motion 24/7, but only transmits when it detects something so doesn't use much data. You can also access it remotely any time to check in on things.
Jetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 09:46   #27

Boat: Catana 431 (43feet)

Where is your boat actually stationed in Guadeloupe and when are you leaving for those 2 weeks. I'm actually in Guadeloupe for a longer stay, but at anchor in a bay. If it's in the same bay, I can have a look at her almost daily. I am also glad if there is someone looking for my boat when I am away...

contact me by mail: hoppel@pt.lu
hoppel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 13:52   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Lock the boat, close any seacocks not needed (i.e. Bilge pump open) shore power for pumps, canvas covers if available.

Tell the marina where you are going and leave an emergency contact number. You are paying for berthing (I presume) so they do have some "duty of care" here. A door and hatch alarm system might be prudent, or might be overkill.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 15:27   #29

Boat: 1983 Lancer 44' Motorsailer

If the boat is connected to shore water, disconnect it.
Old 03-05-2019, 15:46   #30
rbk

Boat: T37

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRobertJr View Post
Haha, refer commonly used in industrial and commercial applications.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat