Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-12-2015, 09:58   #31

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Lee Cloths

I have found the plank more secure. Cloths are fine as an extra or where planks cannot be used.

Our own boat has cloths but I am converted to planks now.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 11:34   #32

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Yeah, barnakiel, I know what you mean. But in the picture of Hud 3's lee cloths, those bands of webbing would take out much of the sag you get with unsupported canvas. They are a more advanced design than ours is.

Uncivilized suggests Wichard for the quick release--maybe their one handed jib hanks. We had them for a storm jib once, and wonderful snaphooks they are.

Ann
Old 09-12-2015, 16:30   #33

Boat: a sailing boat

Yes. When executed well, they are 100% as good as planks. Better, when the boat goes seriously over.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 20:54   #34

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Uncivilized suggests Wichard for the quick release--maybe their one handed jib hanks. We had them for a storm jib once, and wonderful snaphooks they are.

Ann
To clarify things. My meaning with the Wichard comment was to state that it's wise to use quality snap hooks on the lines or tackle holding your lee cloth in place, to the overhead.
Using Wichard's snap hooks, or a carabiner, is a strong enough connection for said purpose. And using a full on quick release shackle for this job isn't necessary.

I didn't mean to imply that one needs a quick release function built into the tackle connecting a lee cloth to it's overhead hard point.
My quick release comments were regarding making it easy for the person in the bunk to be able to quickly let themselves out from behind the lee cloth, while laying in the bunk.

And with the hardware which I'm suggesting using, is akin to those used in pipe cots/pipe berths. They employ a multi-part, interconnected, purchase on both ends of the pipe berth, which allows the sleeper to pull on (or ease) just one rope in order to quickly snug up or release the bunk.

So, if one uses a purchase like this (or similar there to), with it's integral jam cleat, for securing & adjusting a lee cloth. Then you'll have succeded in building a system where ingress/egress is quite easy & quick.

Put simply, picture having a 3:1 purchase, with an integral jam cleat, at each end of the lee cloth, connecting it's ends to the overhead hard points. Something similar to this should work just fine for a lee cloth.

One could go with a slightly more complex system, as is found on pipe berths adjustment tackles. Which are easy to replicate, & are a bit easier to operate. However, copying them exaclty would probably add unnecessary complexity to a lee cloth's adjustment setup.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote