Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-09-2016, 19:39   #1

Live Aboard an ex Cdn MineSweeper

Our kids are in their 30's and Janice and I have always looked and ventured down new paths. It has been a blast and we have enjoyed a lot of different experiences. We discovered the water a short 10 years ago and it has changed our lives.
Just over a year ago we embarked on a new adventure when we purchased a 155' vessel that was christened in 1954 as a Canadian Anti-magnetic Minesweeper. She saw a few different uses before we got her and decided to turn her into our home. She was configured as a mobile fishing lodge and slept 55. That was all in bunk beds and small rooms and as most of you reading this will now, that is not much fun as we get older. I had 3 things to do immediately:
1) Provide a kitchen (not a galley which she already has)
2) Provide a Master bedroom suitable for a kingsize bed, and
3) Provide an ensuite.
I was given a year to get this in order and demonstrate this was a good thing. I missed looking into two things first ..... at 155' we aren't going into any marina (at least that I can afford) and we need 440 volt.

Well a year later most has been resolved. Reno 95% complete and she looks great. Have a moorage at a commercial dock that is awesome and comes with power and water.

But, it is too different life style for my wife and we have a new grand daughter (one and only) so it is time for a new adventure. The minesweeper is being marketed as a floating home complete with moorage in Vancouver BC, power and water.

She is fully functional with 2 Cleveland mains and 4 gen sets. Build by the Cdn government, no expense spared to make this an open ocean vessel. She only sleeps about 40 now but can easily accommodate a new family or be used as a mobile camp at remote locations on the coast.

She was features on the CTV news and have lots of pictures if anyone interested.
Minesweeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 19:44   #2
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Re: Live Aboard an ex Cdn MineSweeper

Welcome to CF
Would love to see some photos
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 20:02   #3

Thanks for the note. I am better with oil, filters and framing than with blogs. Not sure how to add pictures so will just say if you google "HMCS Fortune" you will see lots of info, the CTV link and the listing for her with lots of pictures and layout.
Old 07-09-2016, 21:25   #4
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Ah the Edgewater Fortune

Brings back great memories when I used to skipper both the Thorfinn and Driftwood for the salmon charter seasons.

Here is the link for you
https://youtu.be/domv0hesEHE

http://www.edgewaterfortune.com/
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 02:37   #5

Boat: 2019 Fountaine Pajot Saba 50'

Wow, that's a lot of boat for $299,000. Best of luck with your sale

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. - George Bernard Shaw
CalmSeasQuest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 04:34   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Minesweeper.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 08:53   #7

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

I am making the assumption you are planning her as a commercial adventure, a mobile camp, as well as a live aboard? Just the cost of dry docking must be horrendous.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 11:31   #8

Boat: Snipe, Roughwater 41, and Islander 36

Hi Minesweeper--I just watches the televisions news piece that was done about you and your sweeper/shangrila vessel. Wow! Yes, it DOES have "giggle" factor! 'Love it.
C Lady
CLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 22:00   #9

Thanks for your comments.
We did not consider any commercial activities with her. Our thought was for it to be our home and a floating island for our family to enjoy.
So she has lots of possibilities and lots of things that make sense to generate income or turn into a business, just wasn't our reason for getting her.

So we hope to find someone that can and will enjoy her in whatever use they deem appropriate. She is a great lady and meant to be around for a long time.
Old 25-09-2016, 11:15   #10

As we are new to this type of communication, appreciate any help or thoughts. We would like to see someone carry on with this vessel in either personal or commercial use. This is a bit of a unique vessel and not sure how or where to best advertise the vessel. We have lots of pictures and a variety of historical info, but need to reach an audience that is actually looking for something like this.

Appreciate thoughts and comments from the experienced readers.
Mike