Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-01-2015, 18:26   #16
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Re: Live-aboard and cruising to STX USVI

I lived on a boat in STX.
Had a good time, but not sure I would do it nowadays.
Crime, drugs and murder seems to be popular pastimes there.
Not that St. Thomas is much better.
St. John has always been lovely.
So has the B.V.I.S.
Old 25-01-2015, 07:23   #17

Re: Live-aboard and cruising to STX USVI

We are definitely mindful of power and I'd like to say that I am engineering a kind of hybrid that I haven't seen on most motor cruisers. I am mounting 2 rigid panels on a platform secured to arch that will be above the canvas on my boat. 280 watts total. That will power my refrigeration, water maker, lights, etc. on the boat. I have a medium sized fridge inside and a smaller one out. I have enough to leave the generator off unless we feel like splurging on some 110, but at 8 gph, I'm not planning on it very often.

I have an outside propane BBQ and separate open cooking stove. I see us doing the most of our cooking on these two appliances. Again, no need for the generator. We have come up with, and used, many non-conventional items that we plan to take on the boat, such as a dutch oven. We are trying the techniques we will use to cook on the boat from home for most meals, so we will have it down pat when the time comes.

I have a Kohler 6.5 ESZ generator.

I am going to install a water maker in the coming months. I suspect that it will be a good purchase and make our lives easier while cruising.

We've been to STX and decided on the island for a variety of reasons. It will be a good fit for us. We are looking at several options, once there for the boat. We know a good dock in C'sted Harbor that has water and electricity. I am coming to understand that you need to move the boat with an oncoming hurricane from time to time. Salt River is another option and not as pretty but we may choose to be there most of the time. I think that owning a boat on St. Croix will be a huge plus as it is in a wonderful cruising ground. I'm sure we will get down south quite a bit.

I have read Passages South a couple of times and I have an extensive collection of Explorer charts for the thorn(less) path. We are going to take a longer pace, through the out islands and we will ultimately over-shoot the USVI during the cruise to go down as far as Grenada, weather permitting. We may choose to stay down south during the hurricane season to stay out of the way of anything incoming. I would love to get down to South America but I'm not a fan of some of the bad things that happen in Venezuela.

I would love any advice that you have for me and any tips on cruising the islands that you are familiar with. Thanks again!
robert. is offline   Reply With Quote