Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2019, 09:39   #1

Boat: Hunter Cherubini 33
Live Aboard as Permanent Resident of Puerto Rico

I'm leaving Connecticut to live aboard in western Puerto Rico. If anyone has info on how to switch residency, I'll be forever in your debt.
Leviathan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 16:10   #2
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF
Re: Live Aboard as Permanent Resident of Puerto Rico

Do you mean in a legal sense, e.g. for tax purposes?

If you have no property or family in CT and never return there, then after 6 months to a year it's pretty clear.

Grey areas? Better to talk to a tax accountant or lawyer experienced in such matters.

If you just mean switching your DL, establishing a "permanent residential" address there, filing taxes etc, all of that is a pre-requisite so start on those ASAP, but they are not sufficient conditions.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2019, 05:15   #3

Changing your residency to Puerto Rico is no different than changing your residency from one state to another. Get an address, register to vote, get a driver's license... All the normal, straight-forward stuff.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2019, 06:01   #4
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Just know that if you are a high net worth taxpayer, and still maintain ties to and visit CT long and often, it **is** possible for the state to get a judge to rule on just how genuine your change of domicile is.

If that possibility exists, get documentary evidence of your time spent in PR, and also show your visits back are short and personal.

And consult with an appropriate lawyer rather than relying on free online advice.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2019, 08:49   #5

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Just go.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2019, 09:10   #6

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

If the law hasn't changed recently I'll add a word of warning as to Federal Income Tax if you are working for a company headquartered in the States.

I lived and worked in PR for 6 years back in the 80's. As a resident of PR they do not deduct Federal taxes. (You will pay a PR tax that is significantly higher than the average back in the States).

No problems. UNTIL you return to the States and the Feds try to collect all those back taxes for the years you were gone. I was a Federal employee and we were all similarly pursued. It went on for months. It got so I could quote the numbered reference for the pertinent tax law to them. Finally they went away and let us be.

I loved PR back then, I imagine it's different in so many ways due to time and the hurricane, but the people are just wonderful. Have a great time!
Old 13-03-2019, 09:54   #7
Marine Service Provider

Greetings. Marina Pescaderia is located on the Puerto Real Bay in the west coast town of Cabo Rojo, Puerto Rico, overlooking the Mona Channel. We are a 99 slip marina with a very nice community of live aboards. WiFi, rental cars, showers, supermarkets, shopping centers, beaches, laundry, bars, restaurants, bakeries, all at the marina or nearby. For more information you can access the marina's webpage.
Marina Pescader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2019, 16:19   #8

Boat: Hunter Cherubini 33

I’ll see you on Monday the 18th.
Leviathan33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Puerto Rico