Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-05-2013, 12:34   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by clausont View Post
We have pretty much been invited to live in the Dominican Republic by friends. Haven't investigated it much yet, but the first question that comes to mind is: Is there a decent, inexpensive, safe place to live aboard in DR?
That is a pretty broad question, but it may work into more details if anyone has experience in the DR.

Thanks
I just got back from the DR(not by boat). Went to Sosua, Cabarete and Las Terrenas.

Sosua and Caberete are very similar. One main rd, mostly kite boarding towns.

Las Terrenas was great cheap food, rum etc. Sleepy beach town.
Only problem is they drive like maniacs there. Keep your head on a swivel crossing the st.

Check out dr1.com free site. Apparently you can get a temporary (Cedula card) and temp residence for cheap.

The big question is "can you live on the hook with the Cedula card"?

According to FV, the south coast is the best spot for cruising as it is in the Carribean sea as opposed to the Atlantic.
Keep in mind that between Isla Soana and Samana is part of the Mona Passage. Whales migrate to Samana Bay Jan-march to mate. Awesome sight.

I'm going back in Oct to check out the S coast.

Also, you can find some great investments and interest rates in the DR. This makes it a little more desirable for retirement.

Hope this helps.
Mountaintrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2013, 16:19   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ty.gregory View Post
Are there any nice places to anchor in DR? I too have heard bad things about the water in Luperon. I thought it might be a good place to hole up durring Hurricane season. What a shame. Pretty Island, nice people, a society that could no doubt bennefit from a little influx in the money-department and from what I hear--Luperon (Bay?) is a sespool. "Pooperon"?

I hope I'm wrong. I would love someone to correct me!
Luperon is no longer a cruiser's paradise. The hordes that have descended on this tiny DR community over the years has taken its toll. The locals pretty much regard the boaters as a means of making money. Even the local whores have raised their prices, or given into being used as bait for hotel room robberies. Of course many of the Old towns people never liked the idea of their daughters be cheap playthings for the Yachties. When you talk to the locals they will tell you the prefer the Canadians and Europeans. One DR friend surprised me by admitting that the locals in Luperon find many of the boating Americans to be loud and demanding, not to mention tight with a dollar. These boaters anchor out, do not use the marinas and then they complain about the crime in place here they pay no taxes. Getting drunk on cheap beer and dining on food helps the local economy, I guess.
reefermadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 15:40   #18

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Re: Live Aboard - Dominican Republic?

A good friend of ours lived there for 3 years in Luperon. Hes been back under a year and misses it. He became friends with many locals, and was treated great! He loved life there. Nice people, but as with anywhere you get what you give, you treat locals well with respect and courtesty, you protect your stuff so not to be an easy target, you will enjoy life almost anywhere you go.
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 01:53   #19

Boat: Hardin Sea Wolf 41ft

We love Luperon. We have a sailor friend who lives ashore there and has done for over 10 years. It's a long way off the tourist trail so you get to see and feel the real Dominican Republic. The place to go is to what was Shaggys bar on a Wednesday for their open mic nights. Can't recall the name now as it's changed hands. Good place to meet other yachties. We've never felt threatened walking the streets, of course it is a bit third world so you have to exercise caution, which is the same anywhere. It's very cheap to moor up in the bay, used to be $15 a month which is why a lot of cruisers stay there. Ok so the bay isn't a place to go for a swim but it's very safe when the wind gets up.
I can imagine that the Americans find it too close to reality, but for us Brits we like it that way. We own a condo in Caberete and will be moving out there in a month or two and aim to let out our condo in the high season and live aboard our boat in Luperon.
Facilities are improving, they now have a haul out facility at an under construction marina.
Well worth a visit and lots to explore nearby.
shantycrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2013, 04:59   #20

Boat: 28 ft Intrepid, hull #13

I gotta' say... I was rather favorably impressed with what little I saw of the D.R. as a retirement destination. Folks were polite and respectful and the place was affordable in contrast to Costa Rica.

Having said that, I'll state that Luperon was my least favorite town simply because of its isolation and third world feel. And while my preference was the relatively big city of Puerto Plata, my lady-friend preferred the touristy town of Cabarete.

Incidentally, we met one retired gringo living in Puerto Plata claiming to be happy as a clam. He has been residing in the D.R. for the past four years and doesn't miss the cold Maine winters one little bit. His monthly rent for a one bedroom is US$140. He also claimed to enjoy playing dominoes with the locals every evening in the neighborhood park.

Link to more pics of the D.R.: https://picasaweb.google.com/1142990...960/CabareteDR#

S/V Blondie-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2013, 05:15   #21

Boat: Skookum 53'

Sign me up!